Author Topic: Coming soon - the all new Windsor-Chester-Windsor  (Read 93751 times)

Andrew

Re: Coming soon - the all new Windsor-Chester-Windsor
« Reply #150 on: 11 August, 2014, 08:07:17 am »
A highlight for me was the road from Market Drayton to the Cheshire control. But more than that, the response I got when I commented on it when checking in...

'Any road out of Market Drayton is fabulous'  ;D

HK

« Reply #151 on: 11 August, 2014, 08:07:30 am »
As previously stated one woman is going to ride but didn't. 

And ArryR when someone lies about the reason I didn't ride this event are that I wasnt up to it, I have a right to reply and it therefore not sour grapes.  Neville who I knew personally and spent many miles a-wheel with, if he knew the exact reasons why I didn't ride would be very upset.  If Rocco, one of my biggest mentors knew what was going on he would be very upset indeed

Why weren't women riding, we dont need the probable reasons debated by a bunch of blokes.

« Reply #152 on: 11 August, 2014, 08:18:59 am »
What a great event ;D

Very well organised, fantastic route and even the biblical storms didn't spoil it.

Thanks Keith, Sue and your helpers for making this a ride to remember :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Peter.
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #153 on: 11 August, 2014, 08:22:46 am »
Well done to all the riders.

We were doing the Ride London 100 (86) and were thinking of you all as I really don't think I have ever ridden in such heavy, persistent rain as that. 

Doing so in the second half of a 600 would have been very interesting indeed.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #154 on: 11 August, 2014, 09:00:58 am »
Please note I didn't ride this event because I wasn't up to riding. It's because of issues that have made me very uncomfortable riding with this particular organisation.

Having sweated my guts out for 28 hours (plus an additional time prior to the event) running the Belbroughton control alongside a number of other very hard working volunteers, I found this comment to be very disappointing. Yet another example of YACF at its worst.   I am sure that everyone else that made this event happen will feel equally as irritated by this comment about the organisation. It makes me question, "why do we bother?"

Feedback elsewhere has been very positive.  I would like to thank all the riders for providing a great atmosphere.  Despite the apocalyptic weather on Sunday, everyone appeared to be with good humour and stoical in the face of the oncoming onslaught. 

I rather suspect that the non-stop riders probably minimised their exposure.  The very small number of DNFs was surprising and impressive given the torrential rain and wind forecast.  I would be interested to learn what attrition rate occurred south of Belbroughton*. It has been interesting to read rider's accounts of the event.  Keep them coming.

Keith and Sue were astonishing.   Their omnipresence at the event was incredible given the capacity to visit the many locations along the route, provide a baggage drop and support the individual controls to boot.  Needless to say, this weekend will have also been preceded by many hours of unpaid effort making the WCW a possibility. Furthermore, I was very happy at my colleagues that answered the 'call to arms' and spent a great many hours staffing the control.

Some of you met my 10 month old baby, Thomas.  Fortunately he is not yet showing any traits of audaxing although he does have the capacity to dribble from the corner of his mouth.

*Home of the Kidderminster Killer and Clee to Heaven Audaxes  (shameless advertising)  http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/audax/killerclee/index.html . PS. Moaning minnies will be met by a robust response.

Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

Andrew

« Reply #155 on: 11 August, 2014, 09:42:03 am »
Personally speaking (and how else does one speak ;) ), I have nothing but praise for all those people that made this event happen - either on an organisational level or helping out.

When I first read of the restart of this landmark brevet, I wanted to do it. Partly because of its significance, partly the event itself but also because of the level of support it offered. As someone whose last 600 was a 'here is the route sheet, see you when you get back', WCW was luxurious! This brevet offered (ime) unprecedented support. Tbh, I thought it organisationally ambitious (given the meagre entrance fee), perhaps even overly so, but Keith and Sue picked up the ball and ran with it. And the team delivered. Seriously, I cannot BUT but praise.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #156 on: 11 August, 2014, 09:53:04 am »
There are issues outside of the event, not the event itself.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #157 on: 11 August, 2014, 09:58:28 am »
Why weren't women riding, we dont need the probable reasons debated by a bunch of blokes.

Indeed. And for the sake of clarity, my comment was a general observation, not an invitation for discussion, and certainly nothing to do with whatever may be your particular reasons for not riding, which are none of my business.

My personal experience of the event/organisation was overwhelmingly positive and that's all I am able to comment on.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #158 on: 11 August, 2014, 10:40:57 am »
There are issues outside of the event, not the event itself.
In which case, whinging on this thread, upsetting organiser and controllers in the process, was IMHO 'inappropriate'.
A separate thread, or better still, something on the AUK members-only forum might have been more seemly.

« Reply #159 on: 11 August, 2014, 10:57:29 am »
Great event.
Nice route, I know many of the roads and this was a great selection.
Faultless organisation. Many thanks to the volunteers and their patient families for such unsocial hours!
Weather turned up trumps in the end, a tail wind with sunshine for the last leg - what's not to like.
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #160 on: 11 August, 2014, 11:34:40 am »
A few random memories, not necessarily a ride report, but more a set of headlines.

Firstly Sue and Keith were amazing.... Gotta say "Thanks a million!"  :thumbsup:

In fact all the controllers / helpers were superb.  :)

Also thanks to my patient chauffeur, Bairdy, whose 'fault' it was that I had even heard of the ride in the first place, and who carted me from place to place in luxury!! He should have one of these  O:-)  and apols to him for falling asleep on the way home, again....

The two 'girls' riding together were, I'm pretty sure, Mother n Daughter, and they showed excellent consistent pace...

Also congrats to those who completed this as their first 600 - Jon B was one - I chatted to another, name lost, but his wife / partner / other half was Louise, I think....

Also the guy from Willesden finishing his second 600 deserves a mention....

Day one was heaven in the sun and gentle breeze, over nice quiet roads, visiting interesting controls, guided by a perfect route sheet (tweaked to fit my 'holder' of course), and perfect gpx files. Originally they had no elevation data, but I like to view elevation profiles in order to pace my climbing, and plan my descending, so I uploaded each one to bikeroutetoaster, ticking the box to recalculate elevation data, and redownloaded the results. If I had had time I would have put links here, but time ran out... :'(

My plan was to get to Upton Magna and then grab some kip, since I have found that even though I can ride straight through 600s, my recovery takes a lot less time (days less) if I get my head down for an hour or three....

The weather scuppered that though, and at 1 AM it was rain free and wind negligible at UM, so I thought I'd carry on to BelB.. Finding as I neared the place that the heavens really opened, and I doubt that any clothing could have kept me dry. As I had a complete set of identical clothing in my drop bag (great timing) I changed and recreamed, leaving at dawn....

Then it really rained - biblical stuff - never ridden in anything that bad.. However I guess it really made my day....... You know when it's that bad, it perversely becomes pretty good, a bit like a roller coaster which you know will be scary, and maybe you'll lose your lunch, but you do it anyway.....

Got to see Jim at the Cafe again, and he had his food and drink station ready to rock (car hatchback with burner and saucepan of boiling water, and selection of hand food), however it was still biblical and the cafe staff took pity and invited us inside, and despite not really having finished done their pre-opening preparation, they made us coffees and teas, and let us scatter dripping clothing everywhere..... Jim was happier inside in the dry, I'm sure!! He also gave us great bread pudding, wrapped for the pocket!!

I ended up riding with Brian A and Robyn T, with interesting cameos from Cornwall.....

However my rear tyre suddenly went swoosh swoosh swoosh swoosh swoosh after an innocuous puddle that must have had a two inch shard of surgical steel in it, which left me with a two inch cut straight along the middle. Luckily Robyn heard it and stopped. Hero!! I had a tyre bandage which we got in just right, and although the first inner tube got destroyed by the tyre levers, I showed him how to manipulate the tyre into the bed of the rim rather than the outer edge, allowing him with his extra strength to get tyre on by hand strength alone....  It was a pretty lumpy repair though, but it worked....

I had a nice stay at 'Worths Texaco petrol station and home for the frozen' Garage, where I warmed up with several coffees and at least two ginsters microwaved to perfection, but I think I may have got my hour of sleep without meaning to, since the time mysteriously vanished, but at least I wasn't riding at the time....

The ride ends with a whole series of steep climbs, and I'm wondering if AAA would apply??

Nice to see Teethgrinder at the arrivee, helping out as is his wont - also enjoyed chatting to all n sundry

This is a well resurrected ride, which you MUST try some time  ;)

I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #161 on: 11 August, 2014, 11:47:15 am »
I gotta say thanks to the big boss, who persuaded me to carry an airbed pump 120 kms from Belbroughton to Chester, where I was rewarded with fabulous soup.

Not too be outdone, the veggie sausage casserole at Upton was magnificent.

The event was notable for a particularly warm and friendly atmosphere among all the riders and helpers which was very energising.

I also gotta say that the rain and wind on The Beast from the East 2007 was more prolonged and worse than on this ride.  :P
#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #162 on: 11 August, 2014, 11:57:54 am »
What a great event ;D

Very well organised, fantastic route and even the biblical storms didn't spoil it.

Thanks Keith, Sue and your helpers for making this a ride to remember :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Peter.
I second that.

And a special thank you from me for the guy that came and opened the Honeybourne return control for me at 05:30ish (really wish I was better at remembering names).  That was an amazing cup of hot coffee and much needed cakes out the back of his car.  I think he had to wait about two hours for the next riders.  I really need to start thinking more about the great volunteers and the pains we put them through.
37.9 miles from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #163 on: 11 August, 2014, 12:03:43 pm »
This was my first ever 600.  :D  I was one of the 2 Kingston Wheelers riding.

It was a fantastically well organised event; many thanks to all of the organisers and helpers, I felt very well looked after throughout.

Yes I think the 2 ladies riding together were a mother & daughter team, as suggested above. I last saw them at Honeybourne cafe control on the way back - they were extremely concerned about the state of the roads at this point, & talked about how dangerous it would be to carry on to the finish.... I don't know if they made it back in the end....?

I remember one very helpful lady working at the Macdonalds at Muxton services, who advised us to ride home quickly as we might get wet if stay out too much longer on our bikes. Her face was priceless when I told her what we were actually in the middle of doing. Her: "So are you doing this for charity?". Me: "Um, no.". Her: "So why are you doing it then?". I couldn't think of an answer to this one!

Managed to get to Belbroughton at 433k before sleeping. Had a solid 45 mins sleep which did me the world of good.
The Sunday was obviously very difficult for everyone. At Honeybourne I couldn't stop shaking with the cold, no matter how much tea I drank.

Enjoyed a quite spectacular lightning display in the later stages.

Finished at 5pm ish. Lovely welcome back at Windsor HQ with a great selection of food & drink. The organisers couldn't have been more helpful.
Can't wait for the next one  ;D

« Reply #164 on: 11 August, 2014, 01:04:06 pm »
Adding my thanks to all who organised and worked on this event.  I may have been one of the 'full value' riders (a bit of a first for me to be sop close to control closing time) but the welcome was always warm, plenty of food and water on offer and a free bed available when I needed it. 

My only disappointment due to by unexpected slowness was doing the section to and from Chester in the dark and not seeing the Cheshire plains.  Otherwise it was interesting to see the different characteristics of the hill ranges that were crossed.

I was not sure what to expect for the paltry entrance fee but what was availabel was stunning.   Definitely a ride I would do again.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #165 on: 11 August, 2014, 01:14:28 pm »
A bit lost for words but I’ll have a go …. Like a few others here this was first 600 (cheers for the mention Mikey) and it was one hell of a ride.  Special mention to my riding buddies, Bairdy (and his sense of humour) and Michael who were great company and I think we gave good support for each other through the difficult times. 

I have to echo what’s been said about the organisation and support, the controls were fantastic and VERY much appreciated:thumbsup:

Seemed to be a lot of punctures early on and then one struck Bairdy and we sorted that out which put us back and we were quite a long time at the café in Honeybourne but a good couple of sections to Belbroughton and then Muxton and we felt that we were doing good time.  Then another puncture for Bairdy just before Chester, it was slow so a couple of pumps and then fixed it properly at the control (we used my pump and I did the pumping, I think I nearly passed out aiming for optimum pressure :( before one of the controllers produced a track pump and I went for cake to restore my energy balance :)).

On to Upton Magna and about 5km from the control, really getting into the idea of sleep at about 2:30AM and Bang … back tyre split.  I have dreaded moments like this on my relatively brief audax ‘career’ but I have a spare tyre and help with holding lights ect and we were probably on our way in about 10 minutes.  The tyre has been in my saddlebag for months and when I’m struggling for space I often think of taking it out as it has felt like overkill but after this experience the memory of that bang will kill such thoughts. Into the control, no food straight to bed.  We agreed to get up at 5:30 and I think we were away by 6.  It was quite pleasant at this time and we stopped to check out the lovely bridge at Ironbridge but that’s when the rain started and it rained all the way to Belbroughten and for some time after and it was serious rain.  On the plus side, the wind wasn’t too bad which probably meant it was behind us. Cycling straight after sleep like this was new to me (I’d gone straight through on a 400) and I was surprised that I was still functional and had something to give

Felt like a long way to Honeybourne but it was dry by the time we got there.  Onto the Cotswolds and there was some tough climbs which we must have gone down on the way out but jeez they felt steep going home! Long way to Chalgrove and loaded up on snacks at the shop before a nice run in to the finish interspersed with two very testing climbs (don't think I've ever had such a sustained tail wind :thumbsup:).

Downers – the size of the Mars bar that emerged from my 4 for a pound pack at Chalgrove, barely above fun size … heartbreaking:(.

Once again thanks for organising this great ride which I’m so pleased to have completed (that's my first SR and Randonneur 5000).

« Reply #166 on: 11 August, 2014, 01:17:40 pm »
Please keep the Ride Reports coming in, I'm loving it and getting hooked on doing some long rides again soon.

Sadly could'nt get to see any of this year's event as we were in France until late on Friday night and then in London for the Ride London.

If this event is in the calendar again next year, I will seriously think about entering.

« Reply #167 on: 11 August, 2014, 01:21:21 pm »
If this event is in the calendar again next year, I will seriously think about entering.

As you were instrumental in resurrecting the ride, I think you are 'duty-bound' to ride it!

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #168 on: 11 August, 2014, 01:52:32 pm »
Here is Rog checking in.

It goes without saying that a S & K ride is ALWAYS going to give the riders GREAT support -- that is what they do. And of course apart from S & K there were all the other volunteers who had willingly given up time to look after us - thx to all of you.

The most distinctive feature of the ride for me -- was having both of my plastic gear shifters sheer off - chain ring shifter went with about 120 kms to go - and cassette shifter went about 20kms later  -- not accidents or crashes -- just plastic fatigue. So I am now stuck permanently in granny ring, smallest cog -- BAD chain line. max speed 25kph before I spin out -- and that gear is not the one I would think of using to climb hills -- so I am struggling  -- and I really need my lowest gear ( but as i am so tired even that might not have got me up the hills )

Other special thx - are due to Dave ( dont know surname -- but occasional visitor I think) who riding his first 600 - had been with me for a long way to Chester ( quick to there for us --- arrived before 10.00pm ) -- at my suggestion we grabbed  3 1/2hours  stop / sleep as we were concerned that the quicker riders might have taken all available beds at Upton Magna. After that Dave was happy to wait at the top of hills for me -- and even on the last leg when I am walking those 2 buggerous final hills -- he is still keeping me company. Riding with company is infinitely preferable to struggling back that last 100kms with no gears -- so Dave if you do read this  -- you are a STAR in my eyes.

Finally at last control, jsabine has a full tool kit including pliers - so we cut rear mech cable - lock mech onto about 3 or 4 th ring back - which restricts top speed even more - does make the smaller climbs easier -- but does not help due to my infirmities with the last 2 big climbs. Nice to put face and name together and THX for taking time to help.

Scenery , rain etc - others can speak of -- but no one else broke both their shifters :-[
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #169 on: 11 August, 2014, 01:55:29 pm »

As you were instrumental in resurrecting the ride, I think you are 'duty-bound' to ride it!

Just as an aside----I note WCW is alos available as a perm, does anyone know if route is the same ? ie can I make use of calendar .gpx for the perm ?
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #170 on: 11 August, 2014, 02:10:45 pm »

Just as an aside----I note WCW is alos available as a perm, does anyone know if route is the same ? ie can I make use of calendar .gpx for the perm ?

You'd have to tweak it a bit unless the perm route has been changed.
I entered the perm last year but didn't get round to riding it. Sue was saying they changed the route a bit.
The perm controls on my perm card are as follows. 1.Windsor 2.Wheatley 3.Bidford on Avon 4.Kinver 5.Eccleshall 6.Chester 7.Shrewsbury 8.Hagley 9.Chipping Campden 10. Bicester
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #171 on: 11 August, 2014, 03:25:51 pm »
Answering the call for more ride reports here's mine.

I'm always a little apprehensive about these longer distance rides, but fortified by a fine ride last week I was in a good state of mind at the start of this revived classic. Good to chat briefly with my old wingman Pip at the start, and Bairdy on the road out of town. I'd resolved to take it steady on this ride, but so had everyone else, and inexorably I found myself towards the front. I teamed up with Chris (on this forum?) and made stately progress through the first control and onwards through the Cotswolds and the cafe control. One or two of the early starters were there but the service was quick and efficient. Confusingly for me, so were Sue and Keith, who I thought were running the previous control as well as starting us off. Swisshat joined us and we 3-upped all the way to Belbroughton, aided by the gentle terrain, a helping wind and good roads.

To Belbroughton then and a second bacon sandwich, the pace had been lively but I was feeling good, the weather was perfect and I was getting plenty of food on board. Another quick run to Muxton (Telford) saw us raiding McD's at 5pm, 8 hrs for 235km. Chris dropped off and so there was just the two of us left, we hadn't seen anyone at the last control but couldn't be sure if there were others up the road. No matter, for me this was the best part of the ride. It was a lovely evening riding through the Cheshire lanes, chatting to swisshat about this and that. The miles flew by and just after 8pm we rolled into Chester.

One rider was there already, MikeH I now understand, and he left as we tucked into some exceptional soup, sandwiches etc. I thought i was doing ok food-wise, always been a problem for me on long rides but I could see from my companion's intake that he was putting away twice what I could manage to get down. I guess you don't get to become a rider with his credentials without learning the body how to fuel itself properly. Onwards into the night and the first spots of drizzle, but otherwise calm and still. I started to feel a little tired but managed to share the work on the way to Upton Magna. Another warm welcome awaited us, and more soup but that's all I could manage. MikeH joined us for the run back to Belbroughton but we lost him on the stiffish climb out of Ironbridge, we then both began to push the pace on the long flat section thereafter. we'd had drizzle on and off since Chester, but it started to rain a little harder as we approached the control.

I couldn't face any food so had a banana and a cup of tea, changed into dry clothes and grabbed a couple of hours rest. Up again and showered at 5.30, I felt good, outside it was light, breezy but dry. Maybe we had slept through the storm? My appetite had returned so managed a good breakfast and we were back on the road at 6am, plenty of other riders had arrived overnight so it was good to see some fellow travellers. Half an hour later and the the heavens opened, and stayed open for the next 6 hours or so. The cafe control wasn't open but some decent chap was there in his car with a camping stove and some cakes in the back. A sweet tea and an apple pie probably wasn't enough fuel for the next section and so it proved. The terrain through the Cotsowlds that had seemed so benign on the way out suddenly assumed alpine proportions and it all became a bit of a struggle. Swisshat was running like a train but I kept losing his wheel on any of the inclines and could barely come through on the flat, and he was on fixed. It's a long run, 85km to the penultimate control and I hadn't had any hot food since breakfast. We stopped at a pub near Islip, 50km into the stage but it wasn't serving any food, so I had a coffee and some peanuts instead. Weary now, I was towed to the last control where I finally cut the cord with my companion whilst I sought out some food I could stomach.

Alas, I didn't find any so had to make do with a bag of crisps before heading off on the last leg. It had stopped raining and the sun was out, so it was off with the rain-gear. 5 mins later it was lashing rain again and that monstrous climb up towards Christmas Common. At least it was followed by a long, fast descent all the way to Henley. That's next door to Windsor, right? Wrong, another brutish climb in the rain with traffic passing at 50mph, I got off and walked a bit at this stage. A good idea in hindsight as it left just a little in the tank for the fast run down the other side through some quiet back roads. Some weekend warrior came past me as I was taking off the rain jacket so I chased him all long the final 7 mile stretch. I got onto his back wheel but he wasn't having it and so stamped off. Still, it made for a bit of sport at the end of ride. Bang on 3pm, a lovely welcome awaited -  I've never been clapped in before, formalities were attended to and there just enough time a brief chat with those present. Swisshat kindly gave me a lift back into West London where I was a lot more perky than when he left me back up the road.

To all those who took part, well done - a lovely ride in testing conditions. To those I rode with, a pleasure as always. But mostly thanks to the amazing people who give up their weekends to make these events happen. Following on from last week's frivolities in North London I feel I've experienced the very best of Audax UK, and particularly those who support it.

« Reply #172 on: 11 August, 2014, 03:57:19 pm »
I'm a burd and I didn't ride it....because I had to work Saturday and I have no more leave or, tbh, that much spare cash pay for a hotel on the Friday.

Would have loved to ride it though, even though it seemed as flat as a pancake!  Keep the ride reports coming folks, love to hear all the epic stories!
Does not play well with others

« Reply #173 on: 11 August, 2014, 04:14:47 pm »
Would have loved to ride it though, even though it seemed as flat as a pancake!  Keep the ride reports coming folks, love to hear all the epic stories!

am thinking about perm version as this sounds a really good ride and is an excellent antidote to them there hilly  ::-) type rides (particularly as i will not get 100AAA this year )---Rough Diamond reminded me that flat routes exist  ;D ;D and are enjoyable too
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #174 on: 11 August, 2014, 04:20:26 pm »
For a "not hilly" ride, it certainly wasn't flat ...