Author Topic: Coming soon - the all new Windsor-Chester-Windsor  (Read 93713 times)

Re: Coming soon - the all new Windsor-Chester-Windsor
« Reply #175 on: 11 August, 2014, 04:21:48 pm »
Would have loved to ride it though, even though it seemed as flat as a pancake!  Keep the ride reports coming folks, love to hear all the epic stories!

am thinking about perm version as this sounds a really good ride and is an excellent antidote to them there hilly  ::-) type rides (particularly as i will not get 100AAA this year )---Rough Diamond reminded me that flat routes exist  ;D ;D and are enjoyable too

LOL those Cambrians have made me a bit addicted to hills.  I really struggle on the flat now and find extended flat sections mentally challenging....such a turnaround to the start of the year where I would have ridden an extra 20 km if it meant I didn't have to climb!  Although I would say I am probably slower than ever uphill, I can just do it over and over and over and over again.

In all seriousness, I would be interested in this as a perm too, although I just don't think I can fit in anything else this summer.  Maybe next year....or perhaps an Autumn one, if it's not too harsh in exposure terms?  I guess (hope??) this event will also be run next year so it may have to wait until then for me. So much riding to do, so little time!
Does not play well with others

« Reply #176 on: 11 August, 2014, 04:51:13 pm »
Time is running short now it seems--I`ve nominally got Cambs 4F, Montgomery Madness 200 (both somewhat lacking in flatness stakes  ::-) ) and a week in Pyrenees (lots T de F col finishes on that so again less than flat ) so can`t see how I could fit in WCW perm ---although 4F may go fwd to next year. Given similar `flatness` to rough Diamond I`d hope for < 30 hours WCW 600 perm ....or am I kidding myself ? ???
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #177 on: 11 August, 2014, 04:55:43 pm »
Time is running short now it seems--I`ve nominally got Cambs 4F, Montgomery Madness 200 (both somewhat lacking in flatness stakes  ::-) ) and a week in Pyrenees (lots T de F col finishes on that so again less than flat ) so can`t see how I could fit in WCW perm ---although 4F may go fwd to next year. Given similar `flatness` to rough Diamond I`d hope for < 30 hours WCW 600 perm ....or am I kidding myself ? ???

I think that's easily doable as long as you don't oversleep.  Cat nap in a bus shelter and I reckon sub 30 is yours for the taking  :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

« Reply #178 on: 11 August, 2014, 05:41:41 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised if event has 250 - 300 next year with it being the flagship event of yesteryear and now once again in the era of today
 :thumbsup:
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #179 on: 11 August, 2014, 05:53:30 pm »
Wow!

How come I have only just completed this event and see numerous ride reports out already.
When I am recovered, I will send out my report.
In  a nutshell though - awesome organisation, great controllers (well done Philip, Keith and Sue to name but a few), nice cyclists cycling, dreadful weather!

Was proud to be part of this event, which first ran in my year of birth!

Cheers,

Doo :)
I dunno why anybody's doing this!

« Reply #180 on: 11 August, 2014, 06:24:04 pm »
Hope this runs again next year - I'd certainly add it to my todo list :)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #181 on: 11 August, 2014, 07:34:37 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised if event has 250 - 300 next year

I presume if it does run next year it will be earlier in the season as a PBP qualifier, so however many places are available, I expect they'll be snapped up very quickly.

Also note from upthread:
The limiting factor will be space at the night controls.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #182 on: 11 August, 2014, 08:48:13 pm »
That was a tough day of helping at Windsor! I had to keep checking that the tea bags hadn't gone off, by drinking several cups of tea every hour. With the DNS and DNFs, I had to help eat the cake and baguettes. There were riders that needed chatting to as well.

The riders seemed to do well. Quite a few first timers. The two ladies looked in good shape at the finish and were among the early finishers by not stopping at controls. Two young lads who weren't even born when I first rode WCW in 1992 looked like they enjoyed themselves. I think this WCW was a very successful event for both organisers and riders as well as AUK.

WCW was my first 600 and probably where my proper long distance cycling took off from. So I thought it was good that it is this event that Bikey Mikey has now surpassed my 1996 AUK championship points record. Still a few more calendar events needed for the 50% rule, but I'm sure that we'll have a new championship points record by the end of the season.
Good luck Bikey Mikey on getting your target. :thumbsup:

« Reply #183 on: 11 August, 2014, 09:08:15 pm »
In all seriousness, I would be interested in this as a perm too, although I just don't think I can fit in anything else this summer.  Maybe next year....or perhaps an Autumn one, if it's not too harsh in exposure terms?

I'd be up for an Autumnal 600.
I think that a sociable ride of the WCW 600 perm would be a good way for Bikey Mikey to end his record breaking year, if this can work for his points chasing season. The last two weekends of September are good for me.
October can be good for 600s, if you don't mind it being a bit cold at night. I'd be up for WCW in October too. It might work out better to start at 200km from one end so that we could book a hotel for 2 nights and leave stuff in the room for the first 400km loop.

« Reply #184 on: 11 August, 2014, 09:10:10 pm »
It was a pleasure to be at the final control and give Sue and Keith a hand. They had done such a sterling job on LEL that I was more than happy to help out again. Oh and it was 7 mile from home so it would have been rude not to.

I arrived just after the first rider got back, and then just got on with ensuring each rider remembered to collect their bag drops and the important first question of Tea or Coffee?

Unfortunately I had to leave at about 8pm due to the early start this morning and therefore only saw about half of you home. Worse is that I am now reading ride reports and finish times to put forum names to faces.

From the above and the condition that Sue and particularly Keith were in when they got to the finish I get the impression they put more effort into running an event than some riders appear to in partaking.

« Reply #185 on: 11 August, 2014, 09:22:05 pm »
That was a tough day of helping at Windsor! I had to keep checking that the tea bags hadn't gone off, by drinking several cups of tea every hour. With the DNS and DNFs, I had to help eat the cake and baguettes. There were riders that needed chatting to as well.

And as one successful rider remarked to a kitchen containing teethgrinder, MaggieL, and Brian Mann (not OTP)
"Didn't you lot used to be cyclists?"

That was one of the things I found quite remarkable as I sat there checking them in after what was clearly a hard day awheel: the great good humour and exceptional politeness of all the returning riders. So on behalf of the helpers, not only Well Done" but a thank you to the riders, you made it worth our while.

Rich XAB

• Dulwich on the outside, Peckham on the inside!
« Reply #186 on: 11 August, 2014, 09:35:46 pm »

Many thanks to Sue and Keith (and all the volunteers) for an excellent event. Endless chapeaux to you for all your efforts! To mention a few:-

The man outside the Chester control, greeting us as we arrived and watching over the bikes.

The man inside the Chester control, serving and bringing our food to the table.

The UM bed allocator for kindly suggesting I get some warm food before sleeping.

SWRC man (Alan?) for the chat at BelB when I was feeling tired and had a puncture to fix.

All those Brevet-stampers for removing and replacing my card when I didn't have the fingers!

All those whose faces I am starting to recognise - familiarity is very reassuring at any point before, during and after an event.

Well done to all who rode.

Thanks again

Rich I

Also congrats to those who completed this as their first 600 - Jon B was one - I chatted to another, name lost, but his wife / partner / other half was Louise, I think....

Nice to meet you Mikey!

« Reply #187 on: 11 August, 2014, 10:09:54 pm »
Thanks to everyone involved in the organisation of this event. It was awesome  in so many ways and I really hope this becomes a regular event on the calendar. I had a very tough time after Chester, with a bad attack of the dozies and had to stop twice a for another snooze. Unfortunately by the time I got to Upton Magna the loss of appetite I had been struggling with since Belbroughton really got to me and I made the very tough decision to retire.  I managed to crack this on LEL, by making sure I was drinking enough and eating small amounts all the time. I think I just forgot  to do this in my sleep deprived state. So something to work on for PBP next year!

U.N.Dulates

• aka John Hamilton
« Reply #188 on: 11 August, 2014, 10:28:49 pm »
Just as an aside----I note WCW is alos available as a perm, does anyone know if route is the same ? ie can I make use of calendar .gpx for the perm ?

Not quite. The perm version came first, then the calendar event. The route for the calendar version has evolved a bit in the planning process. Many of the controls are different as of course the perm version has to have controls in places where PoP is available 24hrs - no manned controls (e.g. you;d have a job finding anything in Upton Magna so the control is in Shrewsbury instead).

As the current custodian of the perm version giving it a once over to bring it more in line with the calendar version is on my to-do list, just haven't got a round tuit yet (will likely be a job for a dark winter evening).

It is certainly not a pan flat route - whilst there's no real killer climbs (compared with say Welsh rides) it's probably best described as continually rolling and there's actually very little of the route that's really flat. And it's almost entirely on lanes which slows things down. It was noticeable that the times coming into U.M. were not particularly fast (and the bad weather hadn't really arrived at that point).

Well done to everyone who finished, and to put the AUK Events Sec hat on for a minute a big thank you to all those who volunteered, and particularly S&K for picking up the organising baton and making the event happen - at one point earlier in the year it nearly didn't which would have been a big loss to AUK.

« Reply #189 on: 11 August, 2014, 10:47:34 pm »
My first 600 and a memorable one for all the right reasons thanks to the great organisation and support from all of the WCW team.  Many thanks to the kind rider who "loaned" me a tyre boot at Chalgrove, fortunately my prolapse tyre held out til Windsor.  All went pretty well for me thanks to the company of all the other medium/full value riders,  WCW was audaxing at its best!
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #190 on: 11 August, 2014, 11:17:36 pm »
Anyone know if the Zappi rider finished? (They're local to me, and not known for riding Audaxen)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

« Reply #191 on: 11 August, 2014, 11:20:15 pm »
Bikey Mikey has now surpassed my 1996 AUK championship points record.

Chapeau, Bikey Mikey!

citoyen

« Reply #192 on: 11 August, 2014, 11:28:43 pm »
It is certainly not a pan flat route - whilst there's no real killer climbs (compared with say Welsh rides) it's probably best described as continually rolling and there's actually very little of the route that's really flat.

This is one of the things I enjoyed about the route - the roads rolled enough to be interesting but were never obscenely scenic. The climb to Christmas Common and the hike out of Henley bit the legs at that stage of the ride, but it wouldn't be fun if it were too easy.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #193 on: 11 August, 2014, 11:37:05 pm »
Anyone got a climbing figure ? Just trying to get a line on my own performance
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

citoyen

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #195 on: 12 August, 2014, 12:10:47 am »
Thx a lot
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Andrew

« Reply #196 on: 12 August, 2014, 12:59:50 am »
Anyone know if the Zappi rider finished? (They're local to me, and not known for riding Audaxen)

Steve ? was his name I think. Unless a mechanical befell him, I'd imagine he finished. Saw him leaving Honeybourne looking fit and well and riding comfortably.

« Reply #197 on: 12 August, 2014, 07:16:23 am »

Steve ? was his name I think. Unless a mechanical befell him, I'd imagine he finished. Saw him leaving Honeybourne looking fit and well and riding comfortably.
He was riding strongly with me from halfway between Muxston to about 15k before Chester...he needed to get some more fuel in & put warmer clothes on, but once he'd done that I reckon he was making quick progress for his 1st 600 :thumbsup:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #198 on: 12 August, 2014, 07:17:39 am »
A BIG congratulation to all who finished. A heart felt commiseration to those few who fell out.

Not a down-beat word spoken at Honeybourne, despite of the torrential bursts of rain. Well done to those who completed their first 600, and the chap who went for a points record.

It was a pleasure meeting you all.

I will try to find a control for next year that doesn’t have so many children’s parties. The kitchen staff were rushed off their feet, forgetting to warm up beans for beans on toast on Sunday afternoon.

Next year, this really should be a PBP qual’ event. If that turns to be true, the place where I bought the bread pud can be persuaded to open early. IF, Evesham can be on the route ??

Again, well done to everyone who rode, and all those who helped.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #199 on: 12 August, 2014, 07:34:21 am »
I could definitely be tempted if there's bread pudding.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!