Author Topic: Coming soon - the all new Windsor-Chester-Windsor  (Read 93272 times)

Re: Coming soon - the all new Windsor-Chester-Windsor
« Reply #225 on: 08 January, 2015, 09:28:04 am »
I'm in - I assume my paypal receipt saying "You sent a payment of £30.00 GBP to Audax UK - one year time trial" is just because the same email is being used to raise money for Steve?

Anyway, inspired by Steve A I'm looking to ECE this up to 1000... any advice out there on ECEing a BRM600 this far? 

I'm thinking a slow/flat 200k to the start, aiming to eat & be in a hotel nearby before midnight, after a full value WCW I'd leave myself about 18hours to get some sleep at the arrivée before doing a 200k home...

Anyway, I better look into ECE routes & sleeping plans.  I'm sure I read somewhere there is a travel lodge near the start which is probably a good plan :)

« Reply #226 on: 08 January, 2015, 11:10:07 am »
Can I just confirm that after entry we have had nothing apart from the paypal receipt?. I entered a few months ago and with the speed events seem to be filling up want to make sure my entry is valid.

TIA
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #227 on: 08 January, 2015, 03:00:42 pm »
I do not think anything has been sent out as yet.  Numbers are over 100 now so it is starting to fill.  Danial would need to confirm receipt of your place but the Paypal receipt sounds good. 

There is not a lot to  say at this point since we have only just finished confirming controls and are just starting to route check (develop).  The Windsor Depart/Arrivee this year will be in Old Windsor and the next upline control has also moved to Chalgrove so we will need to tweak the route. 

Look forward to meeting many of you at Old Windsor
L
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #228 on: 08 January, 2015, 06:11:10 pm »
I dont really know what "next upline" means  :-\

Are you reversing the Southern section? Is Chalgrove now the first control,  or the penultimate?

If its the first,  are you coming back via Chipping-Eynsham-Abingdon-ish?

(p.s. is there anyone that actually lives in Oxfordshire on the routesheet commitee? #hint )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cycling Daddy

« Reply #229 on: 08 January, 2015, 06:19:11 pm »
I dont really know what "next upline" means  :-\

Are you reversing the Southern section? Is Chalgrove now the first control,  or the penultimate?

If its the first,  are you coming back via Chipping-Eynsham-Abingdon-ish?

(p.s. is there anyone that actually lives in Oxfordshire on the routesheet commitee? #hint )
PM sent
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #230 on: 08 January, 2015, 07:05:14 pm »
I'm in - I assume my paypal receipt saying "You sent a payment of £30.00 GBP to Audax UK - one year time trial" is just because the same email is being used to raise money for Steve?

Anyway, inspired by Steve A I'm looking to ECE this up to 1000... any advice out there on ECEing a BRM600 this far? 

I'm thinking a slow/flat 200k to the start, aiming to eat & be in a hotel nearby before midnight, after a full value WCW I'd leave myself about 18hours to get some sleep at the arrivée before doing a 200k home...

Anyway, I better look into ECE routes & sleeping plans.  I'm sure I read somewhere there is a travel lodge near the start which is probably a good plan :)
Yes - that's pretty much the perfect timings for us plodders on a 1000 (no offence intended!).
Ive thought about this in the past,  but never got a roundtuit. Arabella did v similar on a solo 1000 a few years ago - write-up in Arrivee.

But this could mushroom into a massive OT diversion, and its really about ECE tactics,  not the WCW. IMHO ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #231 on: 09 January, 2015, 01:21:55 pm »

You should check with Martin if the timings for what you suggest is ok. If you ride 200k and then take a break at midnight and
start again at 6am and the first control of the 600 would be at, say 50k you might technically be out of time at the 250k control point of your 1,000. Unless you'd hammer the 200 in 7 hours or so to allow a six hour break. Not sure how strict ECE rules are about intermediate control times.

« Reply #232 on: 09 January, 2015, 06:09:14 pm »
any advice out there on ECEing a BRM600 this far? 
But this could mushroom into a massive OT diversion, and its really about ECE tactics,  not the WCW. IMHO ...

Point taken, I'll start another thread :)

You should check with Martin if the timings for what you suggest is ok. If you ride 200k and then take a break at midnight and
start again at 6am and the first control of the 600 would be at, say 50k you might technically be out of time at the 250k control point of your 1,000. Unless you'd hammer the 200 in 7 hours or so to allow a six hour break. Not sure how strict ECE rules are about intermediate control times.

PM sent to Martin - I'm certianly not doing the first 200 in 7 hours, Matt correctly called me out as a plodder :)

Cheers! :thumbsup:

« Reply #233 on: 31 January, 2015, 11:04:01 pm »
This will be the culmination of my SR series, if everything goes according to plan. Looking forward to completing at Daniel Webb ride

« Reply #234 on: 09 March, 2015, 10:59:47 am »
I've stopped dithering and I've entered. It's been taunting me for months as I live down the road.

600k scares the bejeezus out of me though. I really need to do a 400 first but the PBP factor seems to have hit and a few are full!

« Reply #235 on: 09 March, 2015, 12:14:34 pm »
I'm in for this one as well, it's does have a high scare factor. :o  Notice the 400's are difficult to sort, either clash with other events or have a high AAA which is just as scary as a 600.  Hope you get you 400 sorted, you could always do two 600 ;D
It's all about the breakfast

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #236 on: 09 March, 2015, 07:58:48 pm »
I've stopped dithering and I've entered. It's been taunting me for months as I live down the road.

600k scares the bejeezus out of me though. I really need to do a 400 first but the PBP factor seems to have hit and a few are full!
Hey Lady C, glad to hear you're in too  :thumbsup:.  You're not doing this as a PBP qualifier yourself, are you?  Like others I've entered and only have a paypal receipt as confirmation.  Oh, and it's in the rides I've entered on the My calendar section of the AUK website.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

« Reply #237 on: 09 March, 2015, 08:03:53 pm »
Don't worry...it's a superb event, is quite straightforward and has excellent controls with food & beds :D
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #238 on: 09 March, 2015, 08:08:53 pm »
PBP good god no! Conveniently getting married around that time but that's just an excuse, that's way too far. This is just so local that it teases me.

My biggest reason at the moment for non attendance on this ride is that it's FA cup final day and villa are currently in the semis and a win would mean I would obviously be at wembley instead. But if as expected they get beaten, then I have to get myself 600k ready pretty quickly!!

« Reply #239 on: 08 April, 2015, 07:15:41 pm »
Just checking: there is no village hall arrangement at the start of this, is there? 

Cycling Daddy

« Reply #240 on: 08 April, 2015, 08:15:09 pm »
Hi
Depart and arrivee is the Memorial Hall Old Windsor.  There is floor space available on the Friday I think probably with your own sleeping bag etc.  Thought these can be left while you are off having fun.
With comings and goings and an early start I would not like to say how much quiet there will be but I will do my best to create a quiet area. 
Nearest station is Dachet
There are several Travelodge nearby two currently at about £35 for the Friday night.

Another little plug for help particularly on the Saturday  morning and less urgently Sunday afternoon evening.  This is a big event with a lot of riders so I will need help to mkae sure it runs smoothly.

Les

« Reply #241 on: 08 April, 2015, 10:17:15 pm »
Thanks, that's brilliant.  It's local to me, but I do better on Audax's without a 20km ride just before it.

Now, to be helpful .....
Dachet's the nearest station, but if you are passing closer to Paddington than Waterloo, then Windsor & Eton Central is a good alternative.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #242 on: 09 April, 2015, 05:50:44 am »
<grinds teeth>

to be helpful .....
Datchet's the nearest station

<and breathe ... >
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #243 on: 09 April, 2015, 09:33:35 am »
<grinds teeth>

to be helpful .....
Datchet's the nearest station

<and breath ... >

Such an idiot. I actually spelt it that way, then corrected it based on the spelling above.  And I have cycle past that station probably a hundred times :(

« Reply #244 on: 09 April, 2015, 07:56:32 pm »
Just checking: there is no village hall arrangement at the start of this, is there?

I should have waited 24 hours.  This has become moot after this afternoon's welcoming email.  The 7.30 start means I can sleep in my own bed without cycling to the start.   Looks like I'm already going to cover 24 km more than I expected in 40 hours, at least I can start it on fresh legs.

But thanks again.

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #245 on: 10 April, 2015, 11:04:26 am »
I've also signed up for the 7.30 start.

A question re parking in the area:- Assuming no room to park at the hall and a 7.30 start, is there much parking in the area, and any restrictions (bearing in mind leaving the car for maybe 40 hours??).
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #246 on: 10 April, 2015, 11:43:10 am »
I've also signed up for the 7.30 start.

A question re parking in the area:- Assuming no room to park at the hall and a 7.30 start, is there much parking in the area, and any restrictions (bearing in mind leaving the car for maybe 40 hours??).

I cycle past there quite often, I'll check it out.  But I don't think there is any restrictions in the surrounding villages, like Horton or Datchet.   This pay'n'display is just up the road, you might be able to stay there all weekend.

Cycling Daddy

« Reply #247 on: 10 April, 2015, 02:54:26 pm »
CHecking would be useful I may try and negotiate something with a local business this is also close and free at weekends Home Park  Windsor SL4 6HX about 2.5 miles

« Reply #248 on: 11 April, 2015, 03:13:27 am »
I'm also starting to get concerned about parking- I will be on my own so can't get a space in the hall car park. The nearest Travelodge also has no car park  :o
I've also got to get home on the Sunday evening as working Monday which I probably should be more worried about!

Phil W

« Reply #249 on: 11 April, 2015, 07:48:31 pm »
I'm also starting to get concerned about parking- I will be on my own so can't get a space in the hall car park. The nearest Travelodge also has no car park  :o
I've also got to get home on the Sunday evening as working Monday which I probably should be more worried about!

Book Langley. Free parking and only a mile further away than the Windsor travel lodge.