Author Topic: Coming soon - the all new Windsor-Chester-Windsor  (Read 93744 times)

Re: Coming soon - the all new Windsor-Chester-Windsor
« Reply #350 on: 18 May, 2015, 05:47:01 pm »
As I'm not doing PBP, do I have a little more time to complete this? (Much less riding than planned this year, and a little concerned about my fitness going into this!)  ::-)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #351 on: 18 May, 2015, 05:52:38 pm »
You can take as long as you like but it'll only be an official finish if you are inside 40 hours. There is no fallback position with only AUK homologation.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #352 on: 18 May, 2015, 06:39:57 pm »
Does anybody know relative sizes of the two start groups?  I'm a 7:30 starter myself.

About 45 riders have asked to start at 07:30.

« Reply #353 on: 18 May, 2015, 06:41:52 pm »
As I'm not doing PBP, do I have a little more time to complete this? (Much less riding than planned this year, and a little concerned about my fitness going into this!)  ::-)

I've just noticed your nickname on here. This year's edition is a bit hillier, although that extra climbing is mostly in the Cotswolds. Be sure to take that into account if you're tight for time.

« Reply #354 on: 18 May, 2015, 07:55:23 pm »

I've just noticed your nickname on here. This year's edition is a bit hillier, although that extra climbing is mostly in the Cotswolds. Be sure to take that into account if you're tight for time.

I don't think I've ridden a BRM event before, so wasn't sure how it worked - wishful thinking :) 

I've been working on the hills, getting stronger on the longer ones, but still suffer if they are 'short sharp, repeat'.  Given that I'll keep an eye on the time, especially with the over distance

I did a DIY 400 recently that ended in the Cotswolds & I was really suffering by the end, but as long as I pace myself on this I should be OK.  This will be my first calendar 600 (2 DIYs attempted, one flat & successful, one DNF when my rear wheel folded in half) & I'm looking forward to the challenge.  I'm still hoping with a bit of sleep at the end I'll be able to ride home as I have no other plan...  :facepalm:

I'm on the 6am start (on a Boardman with Tri bars) - see you at the start :)

« Reply #355 on: 18 May, 2015, 08:04:35 pm »
Does anybody know relative sizes of the two start groups?  I'm a 7:30 starter myself.

About 45 riders have asked to start at 07:30.

Of course, by the time we get to the controls, they will have all been shut down by the rowdy 6am crowd.

:)

« Reply #356 on: 18 May, 2015, 08:15:48 pm »

Of course, by the time we get to the controls, they will have all been shut down by the rowdy 6am crowd.

I thought you were off to watch V***a lose a football game instead?

« Reply #357 on: 18 May, 2015, 08:35:40 pm »

I thought you were off to watch V***a lose a football game instead?

I know so little about football, that I have no idea what this is about.  Googled football 30 May, found that Arsenal is playing Aston Villa.  Still confused.  ???

(last "footie" game I saw was Tigers vs Weagles at 'G, sometime in 1990s.  I assume you are confusing me with someone else.)

« Reply #358 on: 18 May, 2015, 08:45:45 pm »
it is Lady Cavendish who is off to watch Villa win that day. !
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #359 on: 18 May, 2015, 08:52:02 pm »
Ahh!

But we look nothing like each other!

vs

« Reply #360 on: 18 May, 2015, 09:55:13 pm »
My apologies - I was always rubbish with names and wouldn't recognise either of you in the real world.

« Reply #361 on: 19 May, 2015, 02:34:07 pm »
My apologies - I was always rubbish with names and wouldn't recognise either of you in the real world.

Ditto.  No apologies were necessary, I was enjoying the mixup.

(actually, I'm quite bad with faces, which I think is worse)

Phil W

« Reply #362 on: 19 May, 2015, 09:06:16 pm »
As it's an out and back. The beauty is that any downhill North turns into a climb in way back, and any climb turns into a downhill. Pay attention when heading north in the daylight...

« Reply #363 on: 19 May, 2015, 09:46:22 pm »
yes well said yukon boy you are spot on
 :hand: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #364 on: 21 May, 2015, 01:58:12 pm »
I'm probably more anxious than I ought to be about the WCW.  I think my anxiety stems from unfamiliarity as this ride is well off my normal East Anglian patch, and also it has info controls, something I'm largely unfamiliar with.  I'm confused, I wonder if you can help ...

According to the route sheet there are two info controls.  The first is on Leg 2 (Chalgrove to Weston Subedge) and the second on Leg 5 (Lilleshall to Christleton).  Yet when I downloaded the gpx track it came complete with waypoints for 4 info controls!

If the waypoints I downloaded are to be believed the Leg 2 info control is is Bletchingdon (marked info control 3).  The Leg 5 info control between Sambrook and Ellerton doesn't appear in the gpx download.

What am I missing?  I suspect I'm being thick  ::-)

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #365 on: 21 May, 2015, 02:59:12 pm »
As I only looked at the *.gpx track files, I don't know which Info controls are included there.

But from the route sheet, I understand that there are two info controls (in Bletchingdon and Sambrook) which we will pass two times each.

These are the distances according to the "control times" work sheet in the Excel file (which erronoeusly still lists Church Aston as a control):

Bletchingdon I - 81 km
Sambrook I - 250 km
Sambrook II - 373 km
Bletchindon II - 543 km

(crickey, writing down these distances gives me the creeps  :o)

PS: What's your start group, OD?

If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

Oscar's dad

« Reply #366 on: 21 May, 2015, 03:05:54 pm »
6am start.

« Reply #367 on: 21 May, 2015, 03:11:58 pm »
According to the route sheet there are two info controls.  The first is on Leg 2 (Chalgrove to Weston Subedge) and the second on Leg 5 (Lilleshall to Christleton).  Yet when I downloaded the gpx track it came complete with waypoints for 4 info controls!

If the waypoints I downloaded are to be believed the Leg 2 info control is is Bletchingdon (marked info control 3).  The Leg 5 info control between Sambrook and Ellerton doesn't appear in the gpx download.

What am I missing?  I suspect I'm being thick  ::-)

There are two each way on the route sheet, the two on the way up are in bold but the two on the way back are in normal print, you have to search for them!!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #368 on: 21 May, 2015, 06:21:12 pm »
Right ho, thanks. I knew I was being stupid.

It would appear the info control waypoints I've got are red herrings. Disaster narrowly averted!

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #369 on: 21 May, 2015, 08:09:55 pm »
As the Hartlebury controller I'm nearly as nervous as the riders. But have just had an e-mail which makes me confident that at Hartlebury we will have OODLES of caik of many varieties.
Anyone who tries them all certainly won't make it to the finish.   now ther'es a challenge
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #370 on: 21 May, 2015, 08:18:24 pm »
Alfapete.  don't panic or get nervous.  your cake planning will be just fine and all will be grateful if your Stirling efforts!

:hand: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #371 on: 21 May, 2015, 09:48:26 pm »
we will have OODLES of caik of many varieties.

Nice one - the hope of caik was the main reason I entered  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #372 on: 21 May, 2015, 10:27:23 pm »
Does anyone know how 4 infos in 2 places will work? Will you only be told the return questions when you get to the half-way point and have the outbound answers checked?
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #373 on: 21 May, 2015, 11:38:54 pm »
The Invicta Grimpeur has second lap (backwards) info contro Qs issued at the mid/reversal of direction point, regardless of whether the route starts hubwise or widdershins.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Oscar's dad

« Reply #374 on: 22 May, 2015, 11:50:32 am »
Does anyone know how 4 infos in 2 places will work? Will you only be told the return questions when you get to the half-way point and have the outbound answers checked?

Good question!  I was wondering the same!  The sharp eyed among you will know I was having a panic attack yesterday about the info controls on this ride. 

This morning I worked out that the info controls were in the same place on the outward and return legs (some confirmation of this would be appreciated  :thumbsup:  ) but like Reg. T I'm now worrying about the questions!  :-[