Author Topic: Coming soon - the all new Windsor-Chester-Windsor  (Read 93287 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Coming soon - the all new Windsor-Chester-Windsor
« Reply #375 on: 22 May, 2015, 12:19:26 pm »
Does anyone know how 4 infos in 2 places will work? Will you only be told the return questions when you get to the half-way point and have the outbound answers checked?
I've never ridden (or helped) on such an event, but based on organising "normal" Infos, I'd say that should work perfectly well.

Best to write yourself a BIG reminder somewhere to note the Qs - if they are at 300k+ you maaaaaay be tired :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #376 on: 22 May, 2015, 12:23:20 pm »
Does anyone know how 4 infos in 2 places will work? Will you only be told the return questions when you get to the half-way point and have the outbound answers checked?
I've never ridden (or helped) on such an event, but based on organising "normal" Infos, I'd say that should work perfectly well.

Best to write yourself a BIG reminder somewhere to note the Qs - if they are at 300k+ you maaaaaay be tired :)
Yes that is how I imagined it to be.  It is easy to organise because there are a lot of fully staffed controls. We will try to remind those leaving Weston on the way back that they have an info control again.
Les
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #377 on: 22 May, 2015, 02:44:41 pm »
I've just booked myself a room at a hotel near the start for the night before - didn't think I was going to be able to get a good deal this late in the day but I got a room for £44 via expedia.co.uk at the Beaumont Estate hotel which looks like it's about a mile from the start.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #378 on: 22 May, 2015, 05:24:19 pm »
£44 !!  I hope that includes a VERY full English breakfast.
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #379 on: 22 May, 2015, 05:51:46 pm »
Breakfast is extra but I'm not sure the kitchen would be open at 5am anyway.

It's cheaper (and closer to the start) than the hotel I stayed in last year, but that was dead posh. I'm slumming it a bit this year - but not slumming it enough that I'd want to sleep in the hall the night before the ride with all you oiks. ;)

One of the alternative options was the Coworth Park Dorchester Collection - a mere £640 for a night's stay.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #380 on: 22 May, 2015, 06:03:58 pm »
One of the alternative options was the Coworth Park Dorchester Collection - a mere £640 for a night's stay.

If anyone else is staying there, cocktails in the Drawing Room at 7pm okay?
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #381 on: 24 May, 2015, 12:29:11 pm »
Is there going to be any food at the start? I don't want to stuff down an 'oat so simple' in my travelodge and then turn up to find there is a 5 course breakfast laid on that I could have instead.

TIA
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

Cycling Daddy

« Reply #382 on: 24 May, 2015, 05:03:41 pm »
Yes the plan was to feed at start.  However I am now at Weston Alwyn is responsible for Windsor and he is in  Vienna this weekend lucky dog!!
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #383 on: 25 May, 2015, 03:28:44 pm »
Thanks for all the information so far. The GPX and route sheets look great.  :) Just wondering....

Is there a page of general information re the ride and the Village Hall Controls, e.g. exact locations, and which ones have sleep facilities. Could be useful if Garmin decides to packs in for whatever reason, etc, etc?
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #384 on: 26 May, 2015, 08:01:57 am »
Thanks for all the information so far. The GPX and route sheets look great.  :) Just wondering....

Is there a page of general information re the ride and the Village Hall Controls, e.g. exact locations, and which ones have sleep facilities. Could be useful if Garmin decides to packs in for whatever reason, etc, etc?

Yes, the East Anglian rides that I normally do (organised by Tomsk) come with such a sheet. Very useful.

« Reply #385 on: 26 May, 2015, 12:26:48 pm »
Full information on its way tonight or tomorrow.

There'll be loads of food at the start. Beans on toast, cereal, buns, tea and coffee.

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #386 on: 26 May, 2015, 12:43:55 pm »

There'll be loads of food at the start. Beans on toast, cereal, buns, tea and coffee.

Great- will aim to get there early for the 7.30am start, to allow for pre-ride carbo-loading.  8)
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

marzipan

• Empress of the Solent
« Reply #387 on: 26 May, 2015, 06:28:31 pm »

I was actually on this thread looking for that exact information.  I look forward to recieving the final control details.

billyam998

• LEL rider C6 2013 / B11 2017 / B4 2022
« Reply #388 on: 26 May, 2015, 06:46:02 pm »

Most excellent, look forward to scoffing myself silly :smug:

« Reply #389 on: 27 May, 2015, 10:12:24 am »
Me again with 2 more questions:
1- what sort of food is going to be available at the controls: trying to plan my eating strategy, and calculate how much inter-control food to carry.
2- what is the dormatory protocol going to be: gentle wake up calls or sort your own alarm call out. Is there likely to be enough floor space for a bivvy bag at Lilleshall/Dorm.  even if all the mattresses are taken?

TIA

(as you can guess I am a bit of a worryier)

Cycling Daddy

« Reply #390 on: 27 May, 2015, 02:30:13 pm »
Each control will have its own 'menu'.  At Weston it will be vegetarian stew and cous-cous  out and cowboy casserole on return.  Other food around this.  We are only expecting a handful overnight

« Reply #391 on: 27 May, 2015, 03:00:16 pm »
Each control will have its own 'menu'.  At Weston it will be vegetarian stew and cous-cous  out and cowboy casserole on return.  Other food around this.  We are only expecting a handful overnight

Already sounds better than I was expecting  :thumbsup:

Probably good that there will only be a few sleeping after eating cowboy casserole or it will be too dangerous for naked flames!

« Reply #392 on: 27 May, 2015, 04:16:40 pm »
At Chalgrove on Saturday, 50km into the ride, we are conscious that riders won't want to hang about waiting for food.  There will be filled rolls, scones and cakes in abundance with tea, coffee and squash to drink.

On Sunday, when riders will be cruising to the finish, we will have a vegetarian bolognese, hot soup and bread, with rolls and cakes. Hopefully the lovely hall will be a pleasant place to sit and chat for a while. We also have a quiet room if you need to take a nap.

We look forward to meeting you all.

Keith and Sue

Cycling Daddy

« Reply #393 on: 27 May, 2015, 04:51:00 pm »

Already sounds better than I was expecting  :thumbsup:

Probably good that there will only be a few sleeping after eating cowboy casserole or it will be too dangerous for naked flames!
I think there is also a possibility that the village bar which is contiguous with the hall will be open  :o  Not sure how that will end up but it may not be a good thing  :facepalm:

« Reply #394 on: 27 May, 2015, 05:02:41 pm »
Corned beef hash and cheese and potato pie with beans at Lilleshall, sandwiches and cake.

Soup and sandwiches at the end. I might have a go at making rice pudding.

They're aren't many people helping at Lilleshall, so possibly no wake up service. There will be another hall open down the road at Sheriffhales, with more beds but no other facilities. If you kip there your best bet is to press on to Shifnal where the co-op will be open.

« Reply #395 on: 27 May, 2015, 05:37:59 pm »
This is all sounding great. Thank you!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #396 on: 27 May, 2015, 06:39:34 pm »
Flipping heck.  I better stop eating now so I am ready for all the options available please!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #397 on: 27 May, 2015, 06:49:09 pm »
Wow - sounds amazing, thanks in advance for all the hard work everybody has put in!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

billyam998

• LEL rider C6 2013 / B11 2017 / B4 2022
« Reply #398 on: 27 May, 2015, 07:54:25 pm »
I echo the sentiment, lots of hard work done here, sounds amazing, cake racing at its finest :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cycling Daddy

« Reply #399 on: 27 May, 2015, 08:28:29 pm »
I echo the sentiment, lots of hard work done here, sounds amazing, cake racing at its finest :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Oh I am so looking forward to laughing at your suffering giving useful support; especially on the return leg  Les