Author Topic: Coming soon - the all new Windsor-Chester-Windsor  (Read 93553 times)

Re: Coming soon - the all new Windsor-Chester-Windsor
« Reply #425 on: 28 May, 2015, 02:11:59 pm »
Riders:
αdαmsκι (riding a Ti Burls with gold bits)
Can't climb (riding a soot Boardman with tri bars)
jefmcg (sitting beside a red Giant Avail, quietly sobbing)
redfalo (riding a white Specialized Roubaix w/ Ortlieb barbag and Super C saddlebag)
citoyen (probably riding a black & white Trek Domane w/ disc brakes & Barley)
Oscar's dad astride a blue Ribble with a Carradice and possible a Thermarest strapped to me rack
Salvatore on the same red Mercian he used for WCW  in 1990 and 1991
Pete Mas on an Enigma Equipe Titanium, with large silvery grey under saddle-pack NB 07.30 start.
marcusjb on an orange Condor Tempo cacking himself about the utter lack of miles this year and how flipping slow he's going
Halloween on Enigma Etape Titanium with large black Carradice SQR
Bunker: Giant Defy, with SuperC carradice (probably). Slow legs
Wilbur: Blue Trek, Barley, fast legs.
Nelson Longflap with Nelson Longflap attached to grey Condor Fratello (07h30 start)
JohnOnABike: Black Trek Madone with black Alpkit luggage accessories
ivan (matte black Dolan FXE with a few red bits and a rackpack)
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #426 on: 28 May, 2015, 02:14:05 pm »
Warning: dumb question time. I wrongly presumed that the sleep station was at the end of leg N5 in Chester and planned by sleeping strategy around that. Its actually at the end of N4/S1 right? In church Aston/lilleshall. Sorry for being dumb but wanted this clarified before I rejig my spreadsheet! Thanks
Suggest you don't print out the route sheets updated this morning yet. I've dropped a note to Daniel, as all the south bound segments are numbered S2.

(the excel one seems ok)

The "Control Times" worksheet in the Excel file also still lists Church Aston, rather than Lilleshall, as a control. Will drop email to Damian.

Sorry about that. I'm not going to send another email with the corrections though. The routesheet is unchanged from previous versions other than the addition of a variation of S2 that calls at the sleep stop at Sheriffhales.

I changed the control from Church Aston to Lilleshall after the brevet cards were printed, so they'll still say Church Aston. But it's only a few km further along and I choose to not get too concerned about times at intermediate controls.

There are beds available at Hartlebury, Lilleshall, Christleton and Sheriffhales (southbound only - not a control).

« Reply #427 on: 28 May, 2015, 02:15:19 pm »
Helpers:
alwyn
Iddu at Chalgrove?
Keeff at Chalgrove
Cycling Daddy at Weston Sub Edge
Matthew at Old Windsor (Start Only)
John Jackson at Lilleshall

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
« Reply #428 on: 28 May, 2015, 03:28:17 pm »
I was feeling pretty relaxed about this ride until I prepared the spreadsheet at
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qsYqF52l161FBemSECXyPWS_rZpWCR6PvwMegP9rfN8/edit?usp=sharing

The right hand column shows the latest time you should be leaving each control if you want to stick to the plan ... the schedule is fairly tight!

As a 07h30 starter I decided sleeping at Chester might work better, for me anyway, as I can get going again at dawn.

If like me you are a last minute planner please have a go with the spreadsheet and give me some feedback (good or bad).  If you copy the spreadsheet into software other than google sheets the cells formatted as duration might break, although it should be easy to fix ...

(c) copyright Nelson Longflap is unrestricted for non-commercial use  :thumbsup:
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

« Reply #429 on: 28 May, 2015, 03:50:30 pm »
There are beds available at Hartlebury, Lilleshall, Christleton and Sheriffhales (southbound only - not a control).

Thanks Alwyn, does anybody know if there are showers at any of the stops? (and if so, any towels - I got spoilt by the LEL :))

« Reply #430 on: 28 May, 2015, 03:56:43 pm »
Riders:
redfalo (riding a white Specialized Roubaix w/ Ortlieb barbag and Super C saddlebag)
Oscar's dad astride a blue Ribble with a Carradice and possible a Thermarest strapped to me rack
Pete Mas on an Enigma Equipe Titanium, with large silvery grey under saddle-pack NB 07.30 start.
marcusjb on an orange Condor Tempo cacking himself about the utter lack of miles this year and how flipping slow he's going
Nelson Longflap with Nelson Longflap attached to grey Condor Fratello (07h30 start)
Feline: moving very slowly on a Sabbath September with black Carradice Barley (7.30 start)

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #431 on: 28 May, 2015, 04:07:41 pm »
I was feeling pretty relaxed about this ride until I prepared the spreadsheet at
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qsYqF52l161FBemSECXyPWS_rZpWCR6PvwMegP9rfN8/edit?usp=sharing

The right hand column shows the latest time you should be leaving each control if you want to stick to the plan ... the schedule is fairly tight!

that's a very helpful spreadsheet indeed, Nelson! I had set up a similar one in Open Office, but am impressed how easily Google Docs is dealing with dates and times (a proper nightmare in Excel, and only slightly better in OS - I calculated everything in minutes, and then eventually converted it back into hours...  :facepalm:).

I've added a column calculating the minutes stopped per 100km of riding, a measure I think may be useful to get a better idea of my time off the bike.

So on paper, I have worked out a cunning plan (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tC90y3h42wnSbWcJ22In11hPdQ6w-6d9Po7THvK5ohI/edit?usp=sharing)

I'm pretty sure it won't survive the first contact with the enemy...  :o
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #432 on: 28 May, 2015, 04:08:45 pm »
Riders:
Feline: moving very slowly on a Sabbath September with black Carradice Barley (7.30 start)
Pedal Castro: Black Pearson (or blue Rourke) with very old Nelson Longflap attached (bag not rider) 6am start

Nelson Longflap

« Reply #433 on: 28 May, 2015, 04:15:38 pm »
Quote from: Pedal Castro
very old Nelson Longflap attached (bag not rider)

Glad you clarified that PC, but if you're offering a tow ...

« Reply #434 on: 28 May, 2015, 04:16:02 pm »

Looks pretty comfortable to me - appears you've allowed time for 3-4 hours sleep and still get in 3 hours or so before the cutoff. On my first 600, I had about a hour's sleep and finished with just 10 mins in hand.

Having looked at the forecast, my ride strategy is completely weather dependent - keep going until the rain starts, and then maybe stop, or just push on depending how grouchy it's making me.

[edit - I'm treating this as if this is the first half of PBP so planned to ride through the night anyway]
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #435 on: 28 May, 2015, 04:18:09 pm »
Helpers:
alwyn
Iddu at Chalgrove?Weston sub Edge
Keeff at Chalgrove
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #436 on: 28 May, 2015, 04:26:39 pm »
Can't climb. .. Not sure if showers at the controls but rest assured that SHOWERS galore should be provided between controls.  I am sure we shall all get clobbered by rain on Sunday

:sick: :sick: :sick:

« Reply #437 on: 28 May, 2015, 04:43:42 pm »
Can't climb. .. Not sure if showers at the controls but rest assured that SHOWERS galore should be provided between controls.  I am sure we shall all get clobbered by rain on Sunday

:sick: :sick: :sick:

awww crap - I just looked on http://www.weatherbagel.com/f/26a1a21e-df22-44c6-9197-ec19e113cfd5

This why I like to ride in blissful ignorance - never look at the climbing profile & never look at the weather forecast  :sick: :facepalm:

« Reply #438 on: 28 May, 2015, 04:49:54 pm »
I think I shall take my Paramo jacket   :o

Nelson Longflap

« Reply #439 on: 28 May, 2015, 05:30:18 pm »

Having looked at the forecast, my ride strategy is completely weather dependent - keep going until the rain starts, and then maybe stop, or just push on depending how grouchy it's making me

That sounds good to me Ivan.  The forecast at this range says heavy rain in the early hours of Sunday; on the whole I'd quite like to be sleeping through it under cover. I  completely agree that it's easy to over-plan as there are far too many uncontrolled variables. I prepared the spreadsheet above so I'd know sooner rather than later that the plan was going off piste.

« Reply #440 on: 28 May, 2015, 06:49:03 pm »

Having looked at the forecast, my ride strategy is completely weather dependent - keep going until the rain starts, and then maybe stop, or just push on depending how grouchy it's making me

That sounds good to me Ivan.  The forecast at this range says heavy rain in the early hours of Sunday; on the whole I'd quite like to be sleeping through it under cover. I  completely agree that it's easy to over-plan as there are far too many uncontrolled variables. I prepared the spreadsheet above so I'd know sooner rather than later that the plan was going off piste.

Thanks for the spreadsheet  :thumbsup:
I wouldn't normally want to sleep half way through a 600, but with my 7.30am start time it might make the most sense to do this if I don't want to ride through the night and then be still asleep when it's daylight at Littleshall.
It's good to be able to plan for various eventualities while my brain is relatively functioning  :D

Chris F.cc

• Rapha tart
« Reply #441 on: 28 May, 2015, 07:25:46 pm »
Looking on the bright side, at least all that night time rain will damp down our noise outside controls.  :)

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #442 on: 28 May, 2015, 07:34:07 pm »
Helpers:
alwyn
Iddu at Chalgrove?Weston sub Edge
Keeff at Chalgrove
alfapete, Mrs alfapete and Wobbly at Hartlebury
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #443 on: 28 May, 2015, 07:40:45 pm »
I wondered if Sue and Keith are on control duties this year.  last year they did such Stirling work at Belbroughton
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  they were very high up in the LEL team 2013 and am sure that they will be in 2017

:thumbsup:

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #444 on: 28 May, 2015, 08:29:34 pm »
Riders:
Pedal Castro: Black Pearson (or blue Rourke) with very old Nelson Longflap attached (bag not rider) 6am start
Brymbo: blue Tifosi CK7 with black Barley (7.30 start)
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #445 on: 28 May, 2015, 09:07:28 pm »
Riders:
Mmmmartin: blue Giant with aerobars he's never used before, with Carradice and no plans at all apart from rocking up at the start and to pedal. NB 7.30 start.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Phil W

« Reply #446 on: 28 May, 2015, 09:34:23 pm »
Riders:
Yukon Boy: Van Nicholas Yukon with yellow bridge street saddlebag (6:00 start)

« Reply #447 on: 28 May, 2015, 09:36:48 pm »
Riders:
Haffers: Black Specialized Roubaix with bright yellow Bridge Street bag - 06:00 start. Popping my cherry at this distance  :)
Knowing is not enough, we must APPLY.
Willing is not enough, we must DO.

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #448 on: 28 May, 2015, 09:40:06 pm »
I wondered if Sue and Keith are on control duties this year.  last year they did such Stirling work at Belbroughton
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  they were very high up in the LEL team 2013 and am sure that they will be in 2017

:thumbsup:

Yes indeed they will be found providing for your every need at Chalgrove
L
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

billyam998

• LEL rider C6 2013 / B11 2017 / B4 2022
« Reply #449 on: 28 May, 2015, 09:41:34 pm »
Riders:
Haffers: Black Specialized Roubaix with bright yellow Bridge Street bag - 06:00 start. Popping my cherry at this distance  :)
Billyam998, titanium genesis equilibrium, sks guards, odd wheels, carradice barley, sleeping bag, kitchen sink, 06:00 start