Author Topic: Coming soon - the all new Windsor-Chester-Windsor  (Read 93570 times)

Re: Coming soon - the all new Windsor-Chester-Windsor
« Reply #475 on: 29 May, 2015, 12:07:49 pm »
Riders:
αdαmsκι (riding a Ti Burls with gold bits)
Can't climb (riding a soot Boardman with tri bars)
jefmcg (sitting beside a red Giant Avail, quietly sobbing)
redfalo (riding a white Specialized Roubaix w/ Ortlieb barbag and Super C saddlebag)
citoyen (probably riding a black & white Trek Domane w/ disc brakes & Barley)
Oscar's dad astride a blue Ribble with a Carradice and possible a Thermarest strapped to me rack
Salvatore on the same red Mercian he used for WCW  in 1990 and 1991
Pete Mas on an Enigma Equipe Titanium, with large silvery grey under saddle-pack NB 07.30 start.
marcusjb on an orange Condor Tempo cacking himself about the utter lack of miles this year and how flipping slow he's going
Halloween on Enigma Etape Titanium with large black Carradice SQR
Bunker: Giant Defy, with SuperC carradice (probably). Slow legs
Wilbur: Blue Trek, Barley, fast legs.
Nelson Longflap with Nelson Longflap attached to grey Condor Fratello (07h30 start)
JohnOnABike: Black Trek Madone with black Alpkit luggage accessories
ivan (matte black Dolan FXE with a few red bits and a rackpack)
Feline: moving very slowly on a Sabbath September with black Carradice Barley (7.30 start)
Pedal Castro: Black Pearson (or blue Rourke) with very old Nelson Longflap attached (bag not rider) 6am start
Brymbo: blue Tifosi CK7 with black Barley (7.30 start)
Yukon Boy: Van Nicholas Yukon with yellow bridge street saddlebag (6:00 start)
Haffers: Black Specialized Roubaix with bright yellow Bridge Street bag - 06:00 start. Popping my cherry at this distance  :)
Billyam998, titanium genesis equilibrium, sks guards, odd wheels, carradice barley, sleeping bag, kitchen sink, 06:00 start
Ella: Too small (apparently) Kona Honky Tonk with all the Carradice Super C. (7.30 start)
goody: Black Cannondale with discs noisy when wet. looking lost and probably miserable. 7:30 start
Rafe: Titanium frame with discs and quite a lot of bright orange Alpkit luggage (6.00 start)

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #476 on: 29 May, 2015, 12:33:32 pm »
Riders:
redfalo (riding a white Specialized Roubaix w/ Ortlieb barbag and Super C saddlebag)
Oscar's dad astride a blue Ribble with a Carradice and possible a Thermarest strapped to me rack
Pete Mas on an Enigma Equipe Titanium, with large silvery grey under saddle-pack NB 07.30 start.
marcusjb on an orange Condor Tempo cacking himself about the utter lack of miles this year and how flipping slow he's going
Nelson Longflap with Nelson Longflap attached to grey Condor Fratello (07h30 start)
Feline: moving very slowly on a Sabbath September with black Carradice Barley (7.30 start)
Pedal Castro: Black Pearson (or blue Rourke) with very old Nelson Longflap attached (bag not rider) 6am start
Mmmmartin: blue Giant with aerobars he's never used before, with Carradice and no plans at all apart from rocking up at the start and to pedal. NB 7.30 start.
I'd just like to point out that I am on this list but not on subsequent ones. Is my 600k fu disappearing already? I'm still intending to turn up at the start, despite my eradication from the history books............
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #477 on: 29 May, 2015, 02:35:12 pm »
Will there be a twitter hashtag for the ride? #WCW600 or something else or nothing?

it is now!

« Reply #478 on: 29 May, 2015, 02:38:40 pm »
Riders:
Haffers: Black Specialized Roubaix with bright yellow Bridge Street bag - 06:00 start. Popping my cherry at this distance  :)
Billyam998, titanium genesis equilibrium, sks guards, odd wheels, carradice barley, sleeping bag, kitchen sink, 06:00 start
Ella: Too small (apparently) Kona Honky Tonk with all the Carradice Super C. (7.30 start)
goody: Black Cannondale with discs noisy when wet. looking lost and probably miserable. 7:30 start
Rafe: Titanium frame with discs and quite a lot of bright orange Alpkit luggage (6.00 start)
Laid Back Rich on sit up straight old pinarello with nelson longflap (9pm start, in pub)

« Reply #479 on: 29 May, 2015, 04:58:41 pm »
Just about to start cooking the Bread Pudding for consumption at the Hartlebury control.

Wondering whether I should do my Brandyfied version or the normal version. And if Brandyfied, how much should I add...
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #480 on: 29 May, 2015, 05:03:15 pm »
If it going to rain a lot, a bit of Brandy will warm a lot of people up so brandify it. How much by is something I'll leave to you.

« Reply #481 on: 29 May, 2015, 05:29:38 pm »
Just about to start cooking the Bread Pudding for consumption at the Hartlebury control.

Wondering whether I should do my Brandyfied version or the normal version. And if Brandyfied, how much should I add...

How much have you got?

« Reply #482 on: 29 May, 2015, 06:01:38 pm »
There are roadworks taking place in Cuxwold, 45km along the first section of the ride. The official diversion will extend your event by 10km. I won't be able to check, but I am fairly confident you'll be able to get through with your bike.

If you can't get through, the following route adds no extra to the overall distance, but you'll need to decide at Watlington whether to risk it.

In Watlington, turn left onto the B4009 signposted Lewknor
After 3km turn right, no signpost. On the far side of the turn is an open field.
After 4.7km turn left at T junction, no signpost
After 300m, turn left at T junction of large grass triangle.
After 300m, turn left onto Barnshurst Drive to the control on your right.

You can download a gpx of the route with this diversion built in at https://www.dropbox.com/s/3yxhmg3fn90lml5/WCW-N1-Windsor-Chalgrove_update.gpx?dl=0

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #483 on: 29 May, 2015, 06:31:05 pm »
Helpers:

Old Windsor
alywn
Matthew - Saturday
Cycling Daddy - Friday

Chalgrove
Keeff
mattc

Weston Sub Edge
Cycling Daddy
Iddu
Rich F
Somnolent
Maggie L (Sunday only)
Shu P (Sat only)
Reg.T

Hartlebury
alfapete
Mrs alfapete
Wobbly

Lilleshall
John Jackson
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #484 on: 29 May, 2015, 06:48:22 pm »
Riders:
Mmmmartin: blue Giant with aerobars he's never used before, with Carradice and no plans at all apart from rocking up at the start and to pedal. NB 7.30 start.
Laid Back Rich on sit up straight old pinarello with nelson longflap (9pm start, in pub)

History repeating itself.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #485 on: 29 May, 2015, 06:54:34 pm »

Bread pudding? I love you  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #486 on: 29 May, 2015, 06:55:49 pm »
Riders:
Salvatore on the same red Mercian and the same AUK jersey he used for WCW  in 1990 and 1991 7:30 start
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #487 on: 29 May, 2015, 07:29:01 pm »
Helpers:

Weston Sub Edge
Cycling Daddy
Iddu
Rich F
Somnolent
Maggie L (Sunday only)
Shu P (Sat only)
Reg.T

I was an early volunteer for W-s-E. Plan to miss Sat and turn up for the late Sat-Sun. Will bring misc bike spares and spare food that will (otherwise) be used for my Gospel Pass 200 event in 2 weeks time.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #488 on: 29 May, 2015, 07:37:18 pm »
Now safely ensconced in Old Windsor, having ridden over after work.

Nice 48km warm-up for tomorrow. Headwind all the way. Brief hail shower along the Chelsea embankment... Bodes well!

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

billyam998

• LEL rider C6 2013 / B11 2017 / B4 2022
« Reply #489 on: 29 May, 2015, 07:42:25 pm »
please can I ask a big favour? i have come down by train and, already punctured once today on the descent of col du richmond. My pump is good but not that good and, ideally i could do with a track pump for five minutes if someone would lend me one at the start i would be very grateful.

« Reply #490 on: 29 May, 2015, 07:49:08 pm »
I will be parking up at the start and will have my track pump in the car - there may well be one at the start in the hall but if not you're more than welcome to use it.

Will have a bright yellow Farnborough & Camberley Cycling shirt on  :)
Knowing is not enough, we must APPLY.
Willing is not enough, we must DO.

billyam998

• LEL rider C6 2013 / B11 2017 / B4 2022
« Reply #491 on: 29 May, 2015, 09:03:41 pm »
I will be parking up at the start and will have my track pump in the car - there may well be one at the start in the hall but if not you're more than welcome to use it.

Will have a bright yellow Farnborough & Camberley Cycling shirt on  :)

Many thanks, hopefully see you there.

« Reply #492 on: 29 May, 2015, 09:08:03 pm »
First mistake - the hotel I'm in is not the one I planned my ECE from... Thankfully they are close but that's not the best start!   :facepalm:

See you at 6 :)

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
« Reply #493 on: 29 May, 2015, 09:22:32 pm »

Oh yummy, yes please ... and keep a stash for us 07:30 starters please  :thumbsup:
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

« Reply #494 on: 29 May, 2015, 09:32:16 pm »

Not a huge fan of bread pudding or brandy .... but I'm also not a huge fan of porridge, on LEL the porridge/porage and whisky is still a wonderful memory.  I don't think either helped me on the ride, but I would not forgo them.  Same goes for brandy'n'bread* pudding

*yup, I do seem to be suggesting you put in more brandy than bread.  Hick!

(thanks to all the controllers and helpers!)

« Reply #495 on: 29 May, 2015, 09:35:28 pm »
I'll be starting....with a wrist splint & tri-bars for comfort...haven't ridden for 4 weeks, so the plan is to see how I go & see what happens ;D
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #496 on: 29 May, 2015, 09:49:20 pm »
Citoyen.  hope you are comfortably ensconced in Beaumont Estate Hotel ( it does look nice place) I am sure you will get your £44 worth.  think you are a 06.00 starter (very wise) get as much done before the rain descends sat evening! !

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:-

« Reply #497 on: 29 May, 2015, 10:39:50 pm »
Halfway through cooking the bread puddings. Not sure that scaling my usual recipe up by a factor of ten has been a total success. However, the good news is I had to buy a second bottle of Brandy to keep to the appox. ratio. And then another half bottle.

The bad news is I can no longer feel my face...
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #498 on: 30 May, 2015, 06:14:49 am »
Citoyen.  hope you are comfortably ensconced in Beaumont Estate Hotel ( it does look nice place) I am sure you will get your £44 worth.  think you are a 06.00 starter (very wise) get as much done before the rain descends sat evening! !

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:-

The best that can be said of the hotel is that it's warm and reasonably clean. And that the function rooms where the wedding parties were being held are far enough away from the rooms to not be a nuisance.

Saw quite a few other cyclists there - including Team Elliptigo. Definitely a good spot to stay for this start venue.

Unwisely, I'm a 7.30 starter.  Doubly unwisely, I'm already at the hall instead of still in bed.  Nice to wave off the 6am starters though.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #499 on: 30 May, 2015, 07:48:55 am »
Well they are on the road. Hummers was reported to be in all bar one last night but has not been seen at the start. About 140 riders on the road. With 100 starting at 6 and 40 at 7:30.