Author Topic: Coming soon - the all new Windsor-Chester-Windsor  (Read 93586 times)

Re: Coming soon - the all new Windsor-Chester-Windsor
« Reply #525 on: 31 May, 2015, 06:46:57 am »
19 riders have arrived at Hartlebury and... er... left. There's no-one here!

Where'd the riders go???
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #526 on: 31 May, 2015, 07:21:47 am »

Where'd the riders go???

Run out of brandy?  ;)
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #527 on: 31 May, 2015, 07:32:06 am »
Iddu - has anyone left Weston yet?

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #528 on: 31 May, 2015, 07:33:37 am »

Where'd the riders go???

Run out of brandy?  ;)
Weston has had 2 riders through and no one here.  Maybe there is a black hole between Hartlebury and here.  Helpers are working hard to eat all the breakfast
L
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

« Reply #529 on: 31 May, 2015, 08:04:02 am »
I've had to leave Hartlebury, but from about 7am riders started to arrive in a steady trickle.

« Reply #530 on: 31 May, 2015, 08:05:34 am »

half the field now through Weston ( or known to have packed)

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #531 on: 31 May, 2015, 03:08:55 pm »

Where's McNasty when you need him?

That won't buff out ;D

Win Subs One, Lose One, so far...

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #532 on: 31 May, 2015, 03:41:42 pm »
I'm on train home having finished about a hour ago. Great ride. Great controls. And only 7 km of rain! Thanks all.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #533 on: 31 May, 2015, 03:44:05 pm »

Where's McNasty when you need him?

That won't buff out ;D

Win Subs One, Lose One, so far...
Fetch the zip ties :facepalm:
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #534 on: 31 May, 2015, 04:16:35 pm »
Fetch the zip ties :facepalm:

Already deployed in mudguard fixing am - honestly, does nobody do self-sufficiency anymore  :facepalm: ;D

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #535 on: 31 May, 2015, 04:31:43 pm »
OK, Weston closed - bonne route to all those who've passed through and are still inbound....

« Reply #536 on: 31 May, 2015, 06:14:22 pm »
Any news of Javier Gonzales? He broke his femur 9 weeks ago but is nevertheless attempting to qualify for PBP. Completed Flatlands 600 last w/end, WCW is second 600 of three in a row.

He tweeted @ 494 kms that he had about 40 mins in hand

Phenomenal effort whatever happens
#makewattsnotwar

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #537 on: 31 May, 2015, 06:44:31 pm »
The tracklog from my Garmin is here if anyone is interested: click.

My google map of the audax rides I've done this year is looking colourful: click.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #538 on: 31 May, 2015, 07:09:19 pm »
Any news of Javier Gonzales? He broke his femur 9 weeks ago but is nevertheless attempting to qualify for PBP. Completed Flatlands 600 last w/end, WCW is second 600 of three in a row.

He tweeted @ 494 kms that he had about 40 mins in hand

Phenomenal effort whatever happens

He left WSE with time in hand. How much I can't remember.

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #539 on: 31 May, 2015, 07:58:45 pm »
An interesting weekend seeing a ride from the other side as a control helper at Weston Subedge. Lots of work, but lovely that most riders expressed their appreciation. Quite a contrast between Saturday and Sunday in terms of how fresh and/or supple many riders were looking.

Well done to all starters on what proved to be a testing ride for many with the overnight weather. Commiserations to those who have DNFd (or any that do later).

ETA: Good to meet a good few forumites too - some for the first time.
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #540 on: 31 May, 2015, 08:20:05 pm »
I finally rolled in to the finish at 7.30. Was hoping to be in a bit sooner but got a bit delayed at Weston by dozing off. Still, I'm sure it did me good. Martin reckoned there were still over 100 left to come in, which surprised me - as one of the later starters, I don't recall overtaking lots of people.

The Weston-Charlgrove section was a bit relentless and seemed to go on forever. Didn't mind the hills too much but my knee gave out 20km from Charlgrove and was v.painful for the rest of the ride. Even ibuprofen couldn't take the edge off the last couple of hills.

Would have liked to hang around at the finish to be sociable but had to dash to Staines to get a train.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Chris S

« Reply #541 on: 31 May, 2015, 08:31:47 pm »
Sounds like the reputation of this ride - "Not as easy as you might think" is intact, even before you factor in the weather.

We're so glad we rode the Flatlands 600 last week.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #542 on: 31 May, 2015, 08:49:03 pm »
Sounds like the reputation of this ride - "Not as easy as you might think" is intact, even before you factor in the weather.

This year was definitely a lot harder than last year. We had rain last year too though, so it's not just that.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #543 on: 31 May, 2015, 08:52:36 pm »
Saturday to bed was ace. Just couldn't get going today. All alone and sleep deprived, my mood dropped and any power I had in the first hour or so from Chistledon evaporated.

Rode with lots of great people yesterday, though seem to currently fall between fast and slow groups and end up riding alone a lot.

ANYWAY great route, lovely controls and kindly volunteers. Thank you Alwyn and co, as well as Rob, Feline and the strange Hackney beasts. Hope to return fitter, lighter and better rested one day.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #544 on: 31 May, 2015, 09:23:40 pm »
I left my rucksac behind at the Arrivee. Is there any chance it could either be picked up by either Marcia Roberts or Richard Priddy? That assumes no one is there tomorrow morning...

H

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #545 on: 31 May, 2015, 09:24:21 pm »
Saturday to bed was ace. Just couldn't get going today. All alone and sleep deprived, my mood dropped and any power I had in the first hour or so from Chistledon evaporated.

Rode with lots of great people yesterday, though seem to currently fall between fast and slow groups and end up riding alone a lot.

ANYWAY great route, lovely controls and kindly volunteers. Thank you Alwyn and co, as well as Rob, Feline and the strange Hackney beasts. Hope to return fitter, lighter and better rested one day.
Ella - I think I am right that you did the Spurn Head ride last weekend. Even for hardened Audax types long rides one week after another takes it's toll. Unless you are confident of your condition I would leave at lease one weekend between rides. You will find you are less tiered and mentally stronger.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Mr Green

• LEL, SR, RRtY, 24TT
« Reply #546 on: 31 May, 2015, 09:45:08 pm »
I'm was very pleased to finish W-C-W at 6:00pm (6:00am start)
I managed to time my sleep with the main down pour which helped keep the spirits up, and the clothes dry.
A great ride which was impeccably organised.

A big Woop Woop to Daniel and the team! :smug:
What a lot of effort just for a cloth badge.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #547 on: 31 May, 2015, 09:55:07 pm »
Raced out - Crawled back.

Perfect PBP strategy....or not!

The racing out was due in very large part to the efforts of swisshat and cygnet and we reached Chester in good time and made the turn. 

The bungy cord I had attached onto the back of swisshat's saddle came undone on the way to the sleep stop and I had to drop off.

The last few minutes into the andyp/johnjackson control before the sleepstop started to turn pretty grim indeed.  A quick hello/goodbye at the control and cygnet and I made our way to the sleep stop - a cold and wet 7km, but I was thankful to not be out in the bad weather any longer than that.  We got very, very lucky with our timing.  Swisshat was already there (in fact, the first rider to stop and sleep at the sleep stop) and we had a wakeup call booked for 4:30.

Anyone that needs to prepare more for PBP should have been in that hall - perfect dorm practice with the farters, the coughers and the snorers!  I got a reasonable amount of sleep.

As we headed on, the exertions of the previous day started to take their toll.  Arse and left knee issues combined with some monumental stomach cramps started to put me in a bad place.  After the wobbly/alfapete control, swisshat was set free and cygnet and I stuck together until the final stage when my arse and knee were making me just want to be on my own and grind out the last bits.

Got in around 6:30 I think.  Wimped out of the 25km home and jumped on the train. 

The event was amazing.  I don't think I have ridden a calendar event since about January and instead have ridden some route checks solo etc.  Having people around made it all so much more fun!

The route was truly superb - some really beautiful lanes and just fabulously crafted.  There's just the A44 to let the side down, but I totally understand and accept the difficulties in not having it on the route.

Controls were great, it was a mini-LEL with every control being a proper village hall control with your friends volunteering.

We were fed like royalty.

Personally, it marks the completion of a fixed SR and my PBP qualification is out of the way now.  Now I can work on getting fit and fast for PBP.  I have much to work on in terms of comfort and may have to take this bike to the Bike Whisperer and get him to look at my shoes etc.

Massive thanks to Alwyn and everyone involved.  The event was a true credit to Audax UK.

Right - off to bed with my two slightly differently shaped kneecaps and a tube of voltarol! 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #548 on: 31 May, 2015, 10:19:33 pm »
Seconded on all points there Marcus  :thumbsup:

H

« Reply #549 on: 31 May, 2015, 10:47:59 pm »
Have to say that, although I wasn't riding, I thouroughly enjoyed the event.

Alfapete, Mrs Alfapete and little Alphapete had clearly put in a phenomenal amount of effort in preparation for running the Hartlebury control. I have never seen so many jacket potatoes nor gallons of home-made soup and I was slightly in awe of their continued efforts as 10am Saturday turned into 7am Sunday and they stayed cheerful, helpful, friendly and efficient. There was another chap (Kevin? Damn my piss-poor memory for names) who did the whole weekend stint and he also put in as much effort as the Alfapetes did.

Me? I just stamped cards, bimbled about and tried to sound humourous despite the fact I've barely got any voice left. But it was a pleasure to meet so many "names" old and new.

I was sad to have to desert the troops at 7.30am Sunday. Due to a clash with the Extremely Important Pashley Picnic Ride I missed out on the full WCW Helpers' Experience (TM) but I'd be delighted to rectify that next year.

This volunteering malarky? You ought to try it; it's a tonic for the soul.  :thumbsup: