Author Topic: Coming soon - the all new Windsor-Chester-Windsor  (Read 93261 times)

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
Re: Coming soon - the all new Windsor-Chester-Windsor
« Reply #600 on: 02 June, 2015, 05:44:02 am »
I love Kinver - so many happy memories from days out there when I was a kid. :thumbsup:

I will remember Kinver for all the traffic. I looked like a nice place that has been ruined by cars.

My head is full of memories of such places; Burnham Market (Norfolk), Thirsk (Yorkshire), Helmsby (Yorkshire), Rothbury (Northumberland).

Plus pretty much everywhere south and east of a line Severn/Wash.

France doesn't seem to suffer this problem at all - at least, not where we've ridden so far, which is probably why we're heading back there soon.
France has half the population density...oh happy republic.  Methinks it is time or a cull
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #601 on: 02 June, 2015, 07:45:45 am »
My story ...

I rode with Feline for some of the way to Chalgrove and then hooked up with Nelson Longflap at the first info control. He and I stuck together from then on.

Chester was the obvious sleep stop and around 4:30am we set off home. Tiredness which necessitated emergency snoozes in bus shelters and the hills slowed me considerably.  Eventually, somewhere near Over Kiddington on the A44 I just let Nelson pull away into the distance. He's a grand fellow, I hope he made it.

Still with 95k to go but only 5ish hours left I knew the game was up and I found a train station. Sorry folks, I really didn't enjoy the experience but no-one is to blame but me.

Nonetheless my tragedy had some heroes. Nelson and the other riders I rode with. Then there are those helpers everyone is talking about.  I'm sure this is typical of other's experiences:

[I'm at a control on the way back, Weston I think]

Helper:  "Would you like your bottles filling?"
Me: "Oh sorry I've left them on my bike, I'll go and fetch them."
Helper: "No you stay there and finish your tea, I'll do it."

Which he did, and then put them back on my bike. Thank you.  And thank you to alwyn and the rest of his team.

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #602 on: 02 June, 2015, 08:37:35 am »
Sorry to hear you didn't make it OD. It was looking like a big ask at Weston as tiredness was clearly slowing you down.
Nice to know our efforts were appreciated.  O:-)
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #603 on: 02 June, 2015, 08:42:12 am »
My story ...

Sorry folks, I really didn't enjoy the experience but no-one is to blame but me.

Is that PBP over then?

Don't forget that 600s can be good as well as bad.  Places still available in Poynton on Saturday I believe (and I've seen far worse weather forecasts).
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #604 on: 02 June, 2015, 08:44:58 am »
My story ...

Sorry folks, I really didn't enjoy the experience but no-one is to blame but me.

Is that PBP over then?

For 2015 yes. But life goes on and is good. There will be plans  :thumbsup:

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #605 on: 02 June, 2015, 08:46:06 am »
A great ride through some interesting countryside and a fine outing.  :thumbsup:

Good to see familiar faces along the way and have the opportunity to chat to people at controls.

Many thanks to Danial and the team for a fine weekend  :smug:

H

How far did you get before your head cleared on Saturday morning Hummers? you weren't looking your normal ebullient self at the start.  ;)

I was OK at the end but you are right about not seeming quite right.

There is a bit of a story there....

H

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #606 on: 02 June, 2015, 08:47:09 am »
My story ...

Is that PBP over then?

Well I think it's eminently sensible not to make cycling into something you don't enjoy.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #607 on: 02 June, 2015, 08:55:23 am »
My story ...

Is that PBP over then?

Well I think it's eminently sensible not to make cycling into something you don't enjoy.

Absolutely this. I felt very low myself after BCM and have decided that 400/600k rides whilst do-able are just not for me.

« Reply #608 on: 02 June, 2015, 09:27:59 am »
I love Kinver - so many happy memories from days out there when I was a kid. :thumbsup:

I will remember Kinver for all the traffic. I looked like a nice place that has been ruined by cars.

My head is full of memories of such places; Burnham Market (Norfolk), Thirsk (Yorkshire), Helmsby (Yorkshire), Rothbury (Northumberland).

France doesn't seem to suffer this problem at all - at least, not where we've ridden so far, which is probably why we're heading back there soon.
France has half the population density...oh happy republic.  Methinks it is time or a cull

There are 600s in England that are almost exclusively in areas with a population density less than 100 per square kilometre, as opposed to the 140 or so in France. A huge area of that population density starts about three miles from the railway station at Preston, two hours from London Euston.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_districts_by_population_density#Less_than_100_.2F_km.C2.B2

« Reply #609 on: 02 June, 2015, 10:17:59 am »
There are 600s in England that are almost exclusively in areas with a population density less than 100 per square kilometre, as opposed to the 140 or so in France. A huge area of that population density starts about three miles from the railway station at Preston, two hours from London Euston.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_districts_by_population_density#Less_than_100_.2F_km.C2.B2
To find low population density in the UK, you mostly need to head for the hills. In France you can find it on the (relative) flat. That makes a big difference when you're rocking the lard to the extent I am. The UK areas with low population density are served with narrow little unrepaired lanes trafficked by farmers driving too fast. In France you get proper roads, and generally, considerate drivers in much less of a selfish hurry.
<politics on> I blame Thatcher, and latterly, the myth of austerity killing public investment in infrastructure. </politics off>

« Reply #610 on: 02 June, 2015, 10:28:59 am »
Another big thank you to Daniel and all the teams of helpers - It really made a huge difference knowing there was a warm bowl of delicious food less than 3 hours away.

Special thanks too, to the chap at Lilleshall who helped me getting my tyre back on. It was a ridiculously tight fit!

I arrived at Chester in reasonable time, just as it got dark, and felt pretty good so decided I would try and push onto Hartlebury for a 2 hour kip. Unfortunately, I found the night section really tough going with the headwind, dozies and rain and my pace dropped off a cliff. I fell off on a pothole (luckily only going very slowly so little harm done) and picked up a slow p**cture, and lost most of my sleep buffer.

After 35 mins of sleep I felt surprisingly refreshed and managed to get through Sunday in much better shape. It was a great route (even the A roads in Kidderminster weren't really that bad), although the Cotswolds felt like hard work at that stage. 

« Reply #611 on: 02 June, 2015, 11:01:31 am »
To find low population density in the UK, you mostly need to head for the hills. In France you can find it on the (relative) flat. That makes a big difference when you're rocking the lard to the extent I am. The UK areas with low population density are served with narrow little unrepaired lanes trafficked by farmers driving too fast. In France you get proper roads, and generally, considerate drivers in much less of a selfish hurry.
<politics on> I blame Thatcher, and latterly, the myth of austerity killing public investment in infrastructure. </politics off>

I've been to Semaine Federale enough times to know that the terrain the organisers send you around is much the same as around here. Similarly, the PBP takes place on a combination of little lanes and larger roads used by toll-dodging HGVs.
One problem is that the GPS technology that allows many to ride complex, laney routes, also allows motorists to access those old routes that have been neglected.

« Reply #612 on: 02 June, 2015, 11:06:00 am »

I've been to Semaine Federale enough times to know that the terrain the organisers send you around is much the same as around here. Similarly, the PBP takes place on a combination of little lanes and larger roads used by toll-dodging HGVs.
One problem is that the GPS technology that allows many to ride complex, laney routes, also allows motorists to access those old routes that have been neglected.

+1 As GPS has become a standard feature in cars, a lot of the lanes that only a couple of years ago were almost car free have become more and more clogged with traffic. Sadly, can see no way that this situation is likely to change
Eddington Number = 132

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #613 on: 02 June, 2015, 11:12:12 am »
+1 As GPS has become a standard feature in cars, a lot of the lanes that only a couple of years ago were almost car free have become more and more clogged with traffic. Sadly, can see no way that this situation is likely to change

A 40mph speed limit on all single-track roads is being mooted by the lawmakers at the moment IIRC.  In the same way that many A roads are now 50s, they reduce the average speed and increase the average time, meaning bozos who trust their satnavs religiously and barely know where they're actually going will naturally be redirected back to the motorways by their self-optimising blinken boxen.  It'll be a year or two before the trials are complete, though, I suspect.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #614 on: 02 June, 2015, 11:19:00 am »
My story ...

You left the sleep stop after me but i took a wrong turning and lost time, then did it again, and so on. Good to see you remain cheerful, as you would do, despite your (and, incidentally, my) DNF. You were good company at the 300k curry and it was always good to meet up with you again on the road on the 400 and this ride. There are, of course, other 600 events, I am pondering the Buzzard but as it has lumps am unsure if it worth the effort going all the way to the west country only to get the train home exhausted - again.
But thanks for the company on the road.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #615 on: 02 June, 2015, 01:42:52 pm »
Well, it was a great ride with great organisation and a plethora of fantastic helpers many of whom were familiar. With all that TLC on tap I really should have made it. But the truth was I was just a bit too crap and my head not quite in the right place to put myself through too much suffering. A lack of winter miles or even any recent miles other than audax ones just meant I wasn't fit enough for it to be relatively easy. And I wasn't committed enough to suffer the hard way to try and finish.

I had hoped to get to Christleton by 1am (on the late start group) but with the rain, stomach ache and knee pain I was running nearly an hour behind schedule by then. With 2.5 hours in hand I should have been OK- but I made the mistake of trying to force down some food before I slept for 2 hours. I didn't manage to digest the food and my stomach was giving me serious grief when I got back on the road again. Eventually I threw up. My average speed was not great, and I realised that with the head wind and the over-distance meaning I needed to claw back 2 hours in hand just to finish in time- I knew just before Lilleshall southbound that I wasn't going to make it to the arrivee within the time limit. Rather than putting myself through a day of hell (and probably trashing my knee further) I decided to ride instead to Telford and get the train back.

I rode past Ella sat in a bus shelter on the phone to someone and realised she must have also decided to pack. Sorry to hear this Ella, you were going so well and clearly wanted it badly. I'm sure with easier terrain and less rain you would have been fine. Probably so would I.
Seeing others who I had ridden with on the Saturday from time to time posting about not making it, and being out of time, I know I made the right call. I' very glad I was able to predict my failure at an early stage to save myself the pain. I'm very impressed that Drew and Salvatore finished- they both had the strength and resolve to only kip for half an hour when I went to bed for 2- and it is that that clearly made the difference in the end. I couldn't have done that because my stomach just wouldn't let me. It's a case of just not being fit enough- for which I am entirely to blame!

I was not all that bothered about whether I rode PBP or not this time around- last time it was an all-consuming challenge but this time it would have been more like a bit of fun. It wasn't enough to motivate me to be ready. I may well go for it in 2019- but for now I want to get back to riding my bike for fun :)

Thanks so much Danial and all his helpers, your hard work is much appreciated  :-*

Oscar's dad

« Reply #616 on: 02 June, 2015, 02:02:42 pm »
My story ...

You left the sleep stop after me but i took a wrong turning and lost time, then did it again, and so on. Good to see you remain cheerful, as you would do, despite your (and, incidentally, my) DNF. You were good company at the 300k curry and it was always good to meet up with you again on the road on the 400 and this ride. There are, of course, other 600 events, I am pondering the Buzzard but as it has lumps am unsure if it worth the effort going all the way to the west country only to get the train home exhausted - again.
But thanks for the company on the road.

:-*

« Reply #617 on: 02 June, 2015, 02:36:54 pm »
I rode past Ella sat in a bus shelter on the phone to someone and realised she must have also decided to pack. Sorry to hear this Ella, you were going so well and clearly wanted it badly. I'm sure with easier terrain and less rain you would have been fine. Probably so would I.

When I saw you go past I assumed you were packing too and told Danial so. I then tried to chase you down to see if you fancied hot chocolate and commiseration, but legs didn't have it in them.

Another time and another year. No where is summer? ... I need to spend some quality time riding around eating ice lollies.

« Reply #618 on: 02 June, 2015, 02:51:07 pm »
I need to spend some quality time riding around eating ice lollies
It's the way forward  :thumbsup:
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #619 on: 02 June, 2015, 02:56:20 pm »
A DNF for me.
A bitter end to a disappointing month of right Achilles tendon pain that had kept me off the bike since I completed the Auld Alliance 400km. Having seen a Physio for some treatment and dosed up on Ibuprofen & Ibuleve topical gel I decided that I may as well give

Sorry you didn't make it - think I last saw you at at Christleton and was having quite a bad time & not feelign up to speaking much. I decided against stopping there for long as was struggling at that point and knew if I tried to sleep there I'd probably not want to start again with 310k still to go. In the end I attempted to sleep at Sheriffhales and had hoped you'd passed me during the time I was lying down failing to get to sleep there.

Also wanted to say thank you very much to the organisers - this was my first 600 and while it was quite a painful experience in many ways, the controls & volunteers were wonderful. I still can't believe I consumed 9 full meals over the course of the ride.

Aside from the food, one of my best memories of the ride is an owl flying along a lane in front of me for what seemed like ages. Lots of bats as well.

Adrian (Talbot frame, Brixton jersey)

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #620 on: 02 June, 2015, 04:01:28 pm »

France 114 cosiderate motorists per km2  UK variable motorists 225 per km2.  Time on train to  Lille 1 hour 20 mins

Trouble is it is not going to be packed out with friendly AUKs OTH Poynton which is where I am headed this weekend will be.
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

« Reply #621 on: 02 June, 2015, 04:18:48 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Lightweights the lot of you.   
(click to show/hide)

Chris S

« Reply #622 on: 02 June, 2015, 04:45:18 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Lightweights the lot of you.   
(click to show/hide)

That could have been my fourth....  :)

« Reply #623 on: 02 June, 2015, 04:55:02 pm »
A DNF for me.
A bitter end to a disappointing month of right Achilles tendon pain that had kept me off the bike since I completed the Auld Alliance 400km. Having seen a Physio for some treatment and dosed up on Ibuprofen & Ibuleve topical gel I decided that I may as well give

Sorry you didn't make it - think I last saw you at at Christleton and was having quite a bad time & not feelign up to speaking much. I decided against stopping there for long as was struggling at that point and knew if I tried to sleep there I'd probably not want to start again with 310k still to go. In the end I attempted to sleep at Sheriffhales and had hoped you'd passed me during the time I was lying down failing to get to sleep there.

Also wanted to say thank you very much to the organisers - this was my first 600 and while it was quite a painful experience in many ways, the controls & volunteers were wonderful. I still can't believe I consumed 9 full meals over the course of the ride.

Aside from the food, one of my best memories of the ride is an owl flying along a lane in front of me for what seemed like ages. Lots of bats as well.

Adrian (Talbot frame, Brixton jersey)

....and dodgy gear/chain somewhere in the Cotswolds/Chilterns?. If so, we were riding along with you for a short while, (and Wilbur provided some oil)
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #624 on: 02 June, 2015, 05:04:16 pm »

....and dodgy gear/chain somewhere in the Cotswolds/Chilterns?. If so, we were riding along with you for a short while, (and Wilbur provided some oil)

Not me - probably the other (faster) guy in a Brixton jersey.