Author Topic: Coming soon - the all new Windsor-Chester-Windsor  (Read 93285 times)

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
Re: Coming soon - the all new Windsor-Chester-Windsor
« Reply #625 on: 02 June, 2015, 05:52:33 pm »
Phew - what a ride!! So many good parts, and a few bad bits too that in a way make the good parts even more exquisite.  I normally start a ride fairly fast, and build up a time cushion that I squander as I cruise to the arrivee. However that strategy was clobbered by a pothole on a high speed downhill before the first control. I prepared for the ride with a new tyre and tube on my back wheel, but it didn't withstand the impact and I slowed from over 60 kph to 0 rather rapidly on a flat tyre. Not a biggy - I just fitted the replacement tube that had been hanging around in my saddlebag for months. Now what sort of idiot enters a 600+ km ride with some old spare inner tubes of very doubtful provenance? In this case I blew up the tyre put everything back together and got ready to restart ... however the tyre was flat. So repeat the exercise with tube #2 which luckily wasn't pre-punctured. (Here endeth lesson #1.)

Having lost the motivation (not to mention the talent) to build up a time buffer I cruised along making sure I ate well in all the controls. All the control staff were marvellous  :-* :-* :-* (see above, and add my thanks to Danial and all the team for making the controls such a great part of the experience). I chatted with several other riders on the way North including Oscar's Dad riding at a similar pace to me. I think it was somewhere just North of Hartlebury that the nightmare puncture at the pothole to hell came back to haunt me in the form of a lumpy feeling in the back wheel and the mudguard making a noise. Is it a dangling strap? No not that. Something jammed between tyre and mudguard? No not that. Then OD pointed out my tyre was making a bid to escape from the rim. I think the impact had been enough to damage the kevlar bead which slowly shredded over the 100+ km leading to the failure. Oh dear. My ride was saved by Oscar's Dad who happened to be carrying a spare folding tyre which performed faultlessly for the remainder of the ride. What a star that man is!!  :thumbsup: (Here endeth lesson #2)

The story of so many riders is about the difference between theory and practice. In my case the only part of my pre-ride plan that survived was having a good feed and relax at all the controls. OD and I arrived at Christleton much later than planned at around 01h30 I think. I had some supper then a couple of hours horizontal time, but my sleep was troubled. Not long before the control I'd done a perfectly normal downchange on the front derailleur and heard a clunk and got that spinny sensation of no drive. OK, put the chain back on ... but in this case the chain had fallen apart at the quicklink thingy which had come apart and was a bit bent, but I managed to force it back together, in the rain. The bike is a new (to me) Condor Fratello fitted with that rare item - a genuine Campagnolo chain. As I was trying to sleep it occured to me that the spare link I was carrying wasn't Campagnolo, and wasn't 10 speed either, and moreover the Park chain tool in my bag wasn't made for 10 speed chains. The chances of getting a replacement link on a Sunday were close to nil. Let's hope the incident doesn't repeat then ... (Here endeth lesson #3)

After a bit of breakfast OD and I set out from Christleton at around 04h20, both a bit sleep-deprived. The dawn didn't have its normal effect of waking me up and I began to feel a bit sleepy.  We got as far as Market Drayton when OD pointed to an open Shell garage, and happily they offered the mug of hot chocolate I'd been fantasising about for at least 20 km. We sat there like a pair of zombies, the cheerful and chatty garage staff helping keep us awake. OD bought a sausage in a bap and I had the emergency cheese roll from my saddlebag that I wasn't going to need. Somewhat restored we got going again, but OD was clearly still suffering from the dozies and eventually had to stop for an eyes-closed rest while I took advantage of the p-stop and had some more to eat. OD didn't want to wake up and I rolled on to the Lilleshall control but OD was only a few minutes behind ...

The route was a work of genius. Lovely lanes and glorious views, with the Cotswolds looking very pretty. And moreover the wind was turning in our favour. We got to the top of the long hill after Long Compton and the wind was now definitely from behind  :) The ride was worth doing just for that tailwind! On the long slight downgrade to the Glympton turning I barely turned a pedal (in view of the chain problem I wasn't changing off the small chainring) and although we were running late, hitting all the controls just before the time limit, things were looking up. Somewhere on that long run to Glymton Oscar's Dad slipped off my wheel and I didn't see him again, but got the news he'd packed when I arrived at Chalgrove - I was really sorry to hear that OD, but I know how you were feeling; I hoped you'd ride through it, but it didn't turn out that way which is very tough. - on another day it might have been different.

I still maintained my strategy of enjoying the food in the controls but got faster and faster as I approached Chalgrove, and realised there was a good chance of actually finishing in time. The final stage to Windsor was again pretty quick, although I took great care in the dark to check my routesheet really carefully as going off course is the worst kind of time-waster. I finally checked in at 23h10 and claim the honour of physical lanterne rouge. (Some of the 06h00 starters may be able to claim the logical lanterne rouge if they were even closer to the cutoff than me  ;)

The late finish meant I'd missed my train back to central London, and there were no good alternatives. I briefly considered riding the 50 km or so, but was put off by the thought of late night London drivers, not to mention me being a bit short of sleep. Danial solved my problem by suggesting I bed down in the hall for the night and help Salvatore with the final tidying up in the morning. So thanks again Danial, and sharing some anecdotes with Salvatore was a really good end to the day  :thumbsup:

It's a good story isn't it ... the support and kindness of so many got me to the finish. Audax really is a great social model. And the controllers really ought to get together to produce a recipe book - I've never been on a ride offering such a good variety of cyclist-friendly food with such wonderful service.

Personally I was very pleased with the ride. My new bike proved to be both fast (enough) and comfortable - I was surprised at how good I felt at the finish, and with no aches or pains I think there is a lot to be said for taking the full-value approach. And next time I will buy new tubes, and carry a spare tyre, and a spare quick-link that actually fits the chain!
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #626 on: 02 June, 2015, 06:18:37 pm »
I'm so pleased you finished in time Nelson!  Enjoy the PBP, you've earned your place the hard way.

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #627 on: 02 June, 2015, 06:51:28 pm »
Hello to everyone that I met at the Hartlebury control and well done to all of you, I was so impressed with your determination and good humour.  It was a privilege to stamp a few brevet cards and hear about your experiences.

Ben (not Kevin)
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

« Reply #628 on: 02 June, 2015, 10:56:20 pm »
Hi Ben. No idea why I thought of you as a Kevin.

In my opinion you were a superstar at Hartlebury and, along with the Alfapete clan, you did the full 28+ hour stint. Whereas I bailed out after only 21 hours.

I salute you :) Hope we meet again sometime.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #629 on: 02 June, 2015, 11:09:59 pm »
StevieB, it was nice to have some company on the graveyard shift and it was easy to get lost around that first part back from Chester, without the Garmin I'd have been up the creek so respect for doing the ride from route sheet  :)

Still have a craving for some Brandy bread pudding Wobbly!!! Enjoyed a good few slices and agree with a previous poster that there is an Audax recipe book in the making if you collate all those feeds at the controls!
Knowing is not enough, we must APPLY.
Willing is not enough, we must DO.

« Reply #630 on: 02 June, 2015, 11:17:03 pm »
Brandified Bread Pudding is a closely guarded family recipe.

If anyone realised it mainly involved bread and, er... Brandy the family fortune would be lost!

marzipan

• Empress of the Solent
« Reply #631 on: 02 June, 2015, 11:22:35 pm »
Hi Ben. No idea why I thought of you as a Kevin.

In my opinion you were a superstar at Hartlebury and, along with the Alfapete clan, you did the full 28+ hour stint. Whereas I bailed out after only 21 hours.

That might have been why I missed you the 2nd time around.
Hartlebury (S), was where I finally managed to shake off my ailments, and some of that Brandy fruitcake might have given me the oomph to get to the end in time.

Good to see you there though on the way up.

« Reply #632 on: 02 June, 2015, 11:29:18 pm »
The bread pudding (no mere "fruitcake", Sir) was cooked in two batches.

Due to a lack of "management oversight" the first batch had about a quarter of a bottle of France's finest Asda's cheapest but the second (much larger) batch had no alcohol at all.

But both batches were rather tasty, easy on the palatte and about a million calories.

:thumbsup:

marzipan

• Empress of the Solent
« Reply #633 on: 03 June, 2015, 12:28:42 am »
PS - obviously yet another demand on volunteer numbers, but would it be possible to have someone at 601k, perhaps sitting in a car/pub/bus shelter, to stamp cards at the "finish" of a 600k event? This would remove 90 minutes of cycling from the route.....  :thumbsup: and riders would then pootle to the hall for some tea, TLC, tea, rolls, tea, toilets, tea, flapjacks, tea, and then go home.
(I believe this has been done by Blacksheep on the BCM.)

I love this idea. I was OOT, but actually did 600k in time.  Sadly meaning I still have to do another 600.

And yes, I know I should have ridden quicker, but I spent 3 stages with my body unable to decide from which end I was going to lose my stomach contents.  By the time I recovered and could eat to refuel (thanks go to WSE for the perfect recovery food), it was too late to catch up.....although I did try hard too.

Having said that, I felt it was a fantastic ride, I loved the route, the controls, the food (when I could eat it), and it's a real shame that it will be another 4 years before I can try it again.
I also met and rode with on and off, a lovely couple, (Francis and Daryl I think), but sadly I lost them after Hartlebury Southbound, as I was getting slower & slower due to lack of food (due to all food making me feel ropey).

« Reply #634 on: 03 June, 2015, 06:18:12 am »
Scores on the doors, pending validation are that 137 riders started and 117 finished. About 15 riders bailed and another five rocked up out of time.

That's quite a high DNF rate, though suspect some of this is due to the appalling overnight weather and bad tactics from some riders to cope with it. At least two of those DNFs packed an "easy" 400 recently, suggesting some riders were at the very edge of their current capabilities.

I'm unlikely to make this event "easier" next time. I'll look to edit out some short stretches of busy road, which will also cut out at least one of the grimmer climbs on the way back. But I'm very pleased with my first effort to create a 600km route from scratch and I'm glad it hasn't been completely overshadowed by the awesome effort that my controllers and their teams of volunteers put in.

The LEL team's next planned event is London Edinburgh London in July 2017, if the AUK board are minded to support our plans. This is another seemingly benign route with a few traps for the unwary, including a lumpy finish that you'll not notice on the way out. Details to follow soonish.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #635 on: 03 June, 2015, 06:50:04 am »

Aside from the food, one of my best memories of the ride is an owl flying along a lane in front of me for what seemed like ages.

Adrian (Talbot frame, Brixton jersey)

It's magic when that happens, isn't it? I've twice had an owl fly in front of me (and to the side) for a considerable distance  (once circa 1982, and again 2 years ago). I concluded that they were using the light from my front lamp to aid their search for small mammals (voles etc) in the verge/ditch, and that I was travelling at just the right speed for them. Any owl experts out there who can confirm/refute this?
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #636 on: 03 June, 2015, 08:39:44 am »

Aside from the food, one of my best memories of the ride is an owl flying along a lane in front of me for what seemed like ages.

It's magic when that happens, isn't it? I've twice had an owl fly in front of me (and to the side) for a considerable distance  (once circa 1982, and again 2 years ago). I concluded that they were using the light from my front lamp to aid their search for small mammals (voles etc) in the verge/ditch, and that I was travelling at just the right speed for them. Any owl experts out there who can confirm/refute this?

A birdy thread here http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=70016 but I think it is your Guardian Angel in disguise keeping you company on the lonley night road
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #637 on: 03 June, 2015, 09:14:52 am »

It's one of the highs of night-riding.

I used to ride Hampshire lanes with a headtorch on at night.  I'd see them all the time as I looked around, just at my shoulder.

Now I don't use a headtorch and I don't see them unless they fly directly in front of me.  I expect they are still there though, the silent bastards.

As John suggests I reckon a bicycle sends plenty of tiny wildlife scurrying out of the hedgerow.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #638 on: 03 June, 2015, 10:16:18 am »
The bread pudding (no mere "fruitcake", Sir) was cooked in two batches.

Due to a lack of "management oversight" the first batch had about a quarter of a bottle of Asda's cheapest but the second (much larger) batch had no alcohol at all.
Should we infer that the "management" drank the other 3/4 before the chefs could get it off them?!?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #639 on: 03 June, 2015, 10:41:58 am »
Scores on the doors, pending validation are that 137 riders started and 117 finished. About 15 riders bailed and another five rocked up out of time.

That's quite a high DNF rate, though suspect some of this is due to the appalling overnight weather and bad tactics from some riders to cope with it. At least two of those DNFs packed an "easy" 400 recently, suggesting some riders were at the very edge of their current capabilities.

I think the event modelled PBP very well. Where it differed was in having full controls on the outward leg. PBP has only a feed stop in the first 200km. It was interesting to watch less experienced riders managing their kit on arrival and departure, it consumes a lot of time. Lots of controls=lots of time to faff.
I tend to the view that bags with a single large space encourage lots of rummaging. I've always found a rackpack with fold-down panniers to be the optimum setup for being able to get at the stuff you need without disturbing the rest.

« Reply #640 on: 03 June, 2015, 11:00:23 am »

I had some dark times over the weekend where I wasn't particularly enjoying myself.  However, I think the worst thing about my full-value WCW was hearing about people DNF-ing or running out of time on the second day and after the finish on the forum and on Facebook.  I think that out of the riders who I saw regularly over the weekend only a handful of us actually managed to finish in time.  I'll definitely need to get faster before future audaxes as hearing about the nice people I met not managing to finish is rather depressing.

« Reply #641 on: 03 June, 2015, 11:59:08 am »
Another DNF, but a good ride nonetheless.  No dramas, just exhaustion and depleted muscles.  My plan was to keep ploughing on to next the control, until I found one that was closed.  This was spoiled by Hartlebury who stamped my card, even though we were passed the deadline.  Halfway to the next control, mmmartin caught up with me while I was walking so I could have a little sleep.  Yup, I kept walking and closing my eyes for 30 seconds or so.  He kept me company for a few minutes, and we decided it was time to stop.  Which was a good call; as we headed to Evesham, which was about the same distance as Wooton, everything packed it in: my toe was screaming, my knees couldn't do hills anymore, my computer stopped recording properly and the phone came adrift on the handlebars.  The poor controllers at Wooton would have had to carry me out and put me on the grass if they wanted to lock up their hall.

All the controls were great, but special mention to Hartlebury heading south.  As mentioned, I was out of time and they were cleaning up.  "Is there any soup left?"  "No, I just threw it out" - she looked heart broken.  Anyway, they made me a cuppa, offered me bread and butter, then someone found some soup.  They microwaved it, bought it over and but said it the bowl was too hot.  Fine, I wasn't in a hurry.  Then someone (alfapete?) swept over and unfolded a card table in front of me - arranged bowl, mug and bread, then apologised there was no flower.  Unfortunately, no wine list either. 

I felt so well cared for!

Aside: I don't think it's a good idea to have "door colour" for an info control if it might be dark.  I got there when it was quite dark, so decided not to shine my light on someone's front door in the middle of the night as I was going to be back there in daylight.  Especially as it has a glass window in it.  And they have painted it since 2011!

Andrew

« Reply #642 on: 03 June, 2015, 12:42:24 pm »
Reading these stories is bringing it back. I DNFed last year. I got to Moreton on the return leg, plenty of time in hand, damp and tired but would have made it semi-comfortably. Then I saw the train station. I checked the timetable...   out of interest?? There was a train to Slough in 20 minutes. Done deal. I felt I'd done enough. I'd enjoyed the ride, achieved what I had wanted to. There was nothing more to do. Other than finish, which I felt I could do. If the train had been 2 hours away then i would have. Weird.

Might I request that any future route does not pass within sight of a railway station!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #643 on: 03 June, 2015, 12:56:25 pm »
Aside: I don't think it's a good idea to have "door colour" for an info control if it might be dark.

Good point.

Besides that, there seemed to be some confusion about which door was meant. I had no idea since I was using a GPS track rather than the printed routesheet, but I assumed the question referred to the door of the house you pass as you enter the village (at the same junction where the signpost was for the return info), but the group I was riding with at the time seemed to think it was the house at the next junction, and since they were using the routesheet, I assumed they knew best. However, other riders I spoke to at the next control disagreed, and looking at the routesheet myself now, it seems pretty clear my initial assumption was correct. (Which means I put the wrong answer on my card. Doh!)

As for the signpost info on the return leg, I saw it looming above the hedge as I approached the junction, so made a mental note of the answer and ploughed on. There was a group standing around at the junction who I assumed were just using the excuse to stop for a break, but in fact one called out to ask have I seen the info? Yeah, up there above the hedge, mate... except the line of sight from where they were standing meant they couldn't actually see it. Oops!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #644 on: 03 June, 2015, 12:58:49 pm »
Sad to read the DNF write-ups as usual. Its best to ride another asap. Lots of things can (and do) go wrong on a 600, as its such a long ride.

When I DNF'd on my first 600 in 2007, I immediately booked another (the Daylight 600 in Scotland as I recall), and replaced DNF memories with the elation of successful completion.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #645 on: 03 June, 2015, 01:26:35 pm »
PS - obviously yet another demand on volunteer numbers, but would it be possible to have someone at 601k, perhaps sitting in a car/pub/bus shelter, to stamp cards at the "finish" of a 600k event? This would remove 90 minutes of cycling from the route.....  :thumbsup: and riders would then pootle to the hall for some tea, TLC, tea, rolls, tea, toilets, tea, flapjacks, tea, and then go home.
(I believe this has been done by Blacksheep on the BCM.)

I love this idea. I was OOT, but actually did 600k in time.  Sadly meaning I still have to do another 600.

I don't think this would be an option for an organiser even if he wanted to do it (stand to be corrected on that) and could find a volunteer willing to take on such an unattractive task!

And agree with Alwyn that with all the advantages of speedy excellent food and beds at all controls on this ride, adding up to saving hours over commercial controls, WCW DNFs may well struggle to complete PBP.

« Reply #646 on: 03 June, 2015, 01:31:32 pm »
Well, I had mentally broken the ride down: a day ride to Lillishall, then get to the turn and back before sleep, then an 'easy' day of 240k home. I also have trouble eating on rides, and struggled due to this on my recent 400,  so planned to ride at a comfortable heart rate in order to be able to force 'proper' food down at each control and keep the sweet stuff to a minimum. Keep controls to 30 mins or less, and get 3 hours sleep. Any extra time from riding faster or controlling quicker would be an earlier and extra sleep time.

It all started well by getting 25 mins up on my spreadsheet timings by Chalgave. The rest of the stages up to Chester following pretty much to plan. Started seeing returning riders about 50k from Chester and increasing numbers about 20k out. I was asked if I wanted tea at the control and when I turned round the kind helpers had put down a tea plus plate of food for me. Excellent service and thank you. Had a quick chat with Hummers. The wheels nearly fell off the plan on the way back to the sleep stop though: it seemed to take for ever!. The rain didnt seem as bad as predicted and it wasnt too cold, but the speed was pedestrian. Feelings of inadequacy werent help by Hummers whizzing pass with a cheery 'Alright Chaps?'.  I was riding with Wilbur and at one point just had to get him to pause while I hung my head over the bars for 2 minutes eyes-closed time. We got going again but about a minute later Wilbur was jerked awake as his wheels hit the gravel at the side of the road after going straight on at a bend whilst asleep.

We got back to Lilllishall by 4pm, having lost the gained time plus another 30 mins down on plan. I had a greater desire for sleep than food so pushed straight onto the sleep stop. That 7k seemed like 17!. We recalculated timings and asked for a 7pm wakeup. Saw MarcusJB just getting ready to go out again. I think I was asleep before I crawled under the blankets, but woke up at 6.30 worried I had missed my wake up call.

It took a while to get going again, and very gratefully accepted the wheels of a couple of Norwich CC riders to the Hartlebury control. The next few stages passed in a blur of ups and downs, and I kept convincing myself I was riding to my heart rate, although in all probability my heartrate was dictating my speed. I had decided that once I had completed the 80k through the Chilterns the final stage was 'only 2 more hills'. Fuelled by wonderful soup at Chalgrove the big hill just ticked away at a kindly 1-2% gradient for nearly 10k until the final 21% summit. Then a gentle spin up Henley sitting on Idai's wheel got me to the 'flat all the way to the finish' final 25k. By then the need to conserve energy had gone and we stomped along making really good time in the lovely evening weather, arriving back with 90 mins in hand, 45 mins ahead of plan, and PBP still on.

Thanks to Danial and all the teams at the controls for making this an excellent event. The TLC was brilliant. The knowledge that the next control will be warm, have food/water and a floor to crash on if needed always gives a psychological boost over commercial controls. Thanks also to Trickidem who gave good encouragement.

I dont think I will ride the next running of this event....but thats because I want to volunteer as a helper having appreciated the kindness shown to the riders at all controls.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #647 on: 03 June, 2015, 01:42:45 pm »
Boy, do I sympathise with marzipan!
I scraped round the old W-C-W whist in the recovery phases of some tummy bug.
I could only face 'proper' food about halfway through the southbound leg, when I found an open pizza place.
I did finish - just.
I was luckier with the weather though.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #648 on: 03 June, 2015, 01:46:46 pm »
While there are many advantages for a prospective PBPer from well-supported controls during the qualifiers, overdistance events make life much more difficult. An extra 30km on a 600km brevet (a mere 5% extra) is requiring the riders to complete 600km in 38 hours. Have a look at PBP results that show how many finish PBP with 4 hours of their maximum possible time. An over-distance qualifier would cut them out of PBP.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #649 on: 03 June, 2015, 01:59:43 pm »
Sad to read the DNF write-ups as usual. Its best to ride another asap. Lots of things can (and do) go wrong on a 600, as its such a long ride.

When I DNF'd on my first 600 in 2007, I immediately booked another (the Daylight 600 in Scotland as I recall), and replaced DNF memories with the elation of successful completion.

I'm not despondent about my DNF on the WCW. It was my first go at that distance and I'm pretty certain why it happened so hopefully will learn from that.

I've also (more or less) dropped the idea of PBP as I don't think I'm ready this time out.

Having said that, I'm following exactly the path you suggest as I've already booked the East&West Coasts which would get me my 600 and finish a BRM SR - both of which I'd be pretty happy about  :)