Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 646254 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #2075 on: 18 December, 2014, 02:10:59 pm »
Presumably if the riders on the tagalong put out more power than the one on the bike, you end up with an effect not dissimilar to braking with a heavy trailer.  Whereas downhill, you end up with an effect like braking with a heavy trailer...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2076 on: 18 December, 2014, 10:47:30 pm »
From what I've seen, the riders on the tagalong - the elder is about 8, maybe - regard pedalling as something you don't do when you're going uphill, because that's hard work.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2078 on: 21 December, 2014, 08:49:33 pm »
But pulling two kids on a trike tagalong. Actually, it's not a trike cos it has two wheels, but they're both at the back. Together, the whole combination is like an articulated delta trike but with four wheels (three seats, two drive chains, and a humoungous plastic box above the rear axle). Quite outrageous, in a very good way.
SJS  U+2 tandem trailer, we did once  hook one  up to a  DF tandem trike, it  was quite an awesome combination, 5 wheels 3 chains and four riders, actually very easy to handle and manoeuvre.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2079 on: 22 December, 2014, 11:26:34 am »
Spotted on flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27047646@N00/15435515073/
So Wowbagger's using the new alias Wagner? I thought old Wilhelm Richard was a bit modern for him. Still, good way to get out with the grandchildren.

« Reply #2080 on: 22 December, 2014, 03:22:32 pm »
That Flickrstream is full of joy!  ;D

« Reply #2081 on: 23 December, 2014, 03:17:25 pm »
Yesterday evening: stealthy black frame with track bars and gears-inna-can on back pulled up beside me at lights. I squint at the badges on the head and down tubes: "Bob Jackson?" "Yes." "Nice."

And later a stealthy black old-school trike heading the other way with a well-patinated black-and-white carradice hanging down back.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #2082 on: 07 January, 2015, 02:45:36 pm »
Saw this thing in Germany over Christmas.

It was pretty big, but I think it looks bigger because of the fairly small wheels.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2083 on: 07 January, 2015, 06:04:40 pm »
They look like 700c.

Paging Mr Raffe. Mr G. Raffe to the white courtesy telephone please . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #2084 on: 08 January, 2015, 04:23:23 am »
They look similar in size to the other bike that's parked, which to my mind looks like it could be an MTB and have 26" (559) wheels. Skinny slicks for 559s if so.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2085 on: 08 January, 2015, 10:48:40 am »
Perhaps they're 650B, the old French favourite.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2086 on: 08 January, 2015, 11:28:23 am »
There was a red machine similar to that hanging up at the end of the ginnel down which Covent Garden Cycles used to lurk.  I think it was a 29" frame and possibly a Bob Jackson.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2087 on: 08 January, 2015, 12:18:23 pm »
That's right!  I remember it. :)
Getting there...

« Reply #2088 on: 10 January, 2015, 10:39:27 am »
Interesting that the extra stays end on the seatstays rather than at the dropouts; I'd have thought it would put more of a bending moment on the seatstays.

« Reply #2089 on: 29 January, 2015, 06:34:57 pm »
A Belfort Boris Bike

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #2090 on: 02 February, 2015, 01:45:38 pm »
Chained to a post on Northbridge St yesterday afternoon was a tatty old silver MTB/Hybrid thingy. It had a KIA badge on the head tube and the words "THINK BEFORE YOU DRIVE" in red capitals on the down tube.

I didn't know KIA made bikes, but I think it wonderful that a car manufacturer can stick a warning against unnecessary car use on a bike :thumbsup:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2091 on: 02 February, 2015, 02:43:16 pm »
I didn't know KIA made bikes, but I think it wonderful that a car manufacturer can stick a warning against unnecessary car use on a bike :thumbsup:

Maybe they should stick them on cars? :)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2092 on: 02 February, 2015, 07:39:47 pm »
They have such signage plastered all over F1 circuits.  As the message is flagged as "Bernie says..." the immediate reaction is, natch, the opposite.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2093 on: 03 February, 2015, 10:01:34 am »
But pulling two kids on a trike tagalong. Actually, it's not a trike cos it has two wheels, but they're both at the back. Together, the whole combination is like an articulated delta trike but with four wheels (three seats, two drive chains, and a humoungous plastic box above the rear axle). Quite outrageous, in a very good way.
SJS  U+2 tandem trailer, we did once  hook one  up to a  DF tandem trike, it  was quite an awesome combination, 5 wheels 3 chains and four riders, actually very easy to handle and manoeuvre.
I had a U+1. Awesome machine. The rack was a great piece of engineering. We had a wicker box (almost laundry chest sized) on it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2094 on: 16 February, 2015, 10:12:24 am »
Not unusual individually, but it was impressive to see a dozen tandems descending Coxgrove Hill at a variety of speeds from sedate to manic on Saturday, as I was going up.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2095 on: 16 February, 2015, 12:19:29 pm »
Chained to a post on Northbridge St yesterday afternoon was a tatty old silver MTB/Hybrid thingy. It had a KIA badge on the head tube and the words "THINK BEFORE YOU DRIVE" in red capitals on the down tube.

Yup. Both Kia & Daewoo branded bikes in the noughties.

Kia used them as a carrot. Offering two with any of their MPVs.

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2096 on: 16 February, 2015, 12:44:41 pm »
This is a cheat, because I haven't seen it:

What's unusual about it is not so much the bike itself (though apparently it was built as a one-off, adapted from something(s) else) but where it is - in India. That it is even being discussed shows that Bangalore Bikers' Club is probably even less representative of Indian cycling as a whole than YACF is of British.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2097 on: 17 February, 2015, 08:23:32 pm »
A total of 5 Bromptons (not including my own) over the course of about half an hour as I walked CrinklyLion and cubs to Mordor Central earlier.  I've never seen that many in the wild (as opposed to on an organised ride, or in the local Brompton shop) in Middle Earth before.

« Reply #2098 on: 21 February, 2015, 09:57:53 am »
A Brompton with a child seat, fitted in an interesting arrangement - an L-shaped tube clamped to the main frame tube and the seat post, with the child seat between the seat and the bars. I didn't see whether the clamps had a QR arrangement; if so, I suppose you'd still have a reasonably portable bike with child-carrying capability.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2099 on: 21 February, 2015, 10:04:00 am »
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...