Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1717981 times)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #350 on: 29 October, 2009, 01:05:08 am »
An impressive turn out tonight.

The roster:  Auntie Helen, Mrs OD, mrs_o, wowbagger, OD, Tomsk and myself.

Cameo appearance by Shadow (OD's cannonball-chewing friend from the Swan).

AH, mrs_o and myself had a lovely, mild ride out from Witham.  So mild that mrs_o had to shed the nightvision jacket through overheating, but proceeded to want my armwarmers most of the the way to the pub ;)

At the chequers, mrs OD, OD, Tomsk and wowbagger were already in residence.  We arrived, got our drinks (tea, rose wine and, for myself, something from the extensive selection at the bar IIRC, there were 6 handpulls including Aussie IPA, Stonehenge Eye Opener, St Austell Tribute)

A few of those, a couple of large bowls of roast potatoes (provided by the house) and a pudding later we set off on the lengthy 2.5 miles to our second venue, The Swan at Little Totham.  Here there were, as usual, a huge number of ales on gravity, including a number of locally brewed ones (Oscar Wilde, Totham Parva, Puck's Folly and a number of other crouch vale and Maldon/ Farmers ales amongst others --- at least 8 or 10 choices plus a few real ciders on tap to boot.).

All told, I did about 27 miles.  The misty/foggy run back from the Swan was superb -- we parted into two groups near Braxted, with the Witham contingent heading back via Little Braxted, and wow and Tomsk heading off back to Southend and Dunmow respectively.

(Oh, and it's small potatoes next to wow's recent milestone on the Thorn, but this ride takes my Felt past 3000 miles).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #351 on: 29 October, 2009, 03:25:00 am »
Back home soon after 3 a.m. 56.63 miles on the Mercian.

I wore civvies. My arse is a little tender but my wrists are worse.

The dog woke up to welcome me home. I'll finish my coffee and go to bed.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #352 on: 29 October, 2009, 07:56:00 am »
Sounds like a good one. I would have liked to come along but a. I didn't want to be too late home as I had to be up early this morning and b. I'm off teh boozahol at the moment and the temptation of all those ales would have been too much to resist!!

I can't make next week's ride as I have a wedding to attend the next day, but hopefully I'll make the one after....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #353 on: 29 October, 2009, 08:37:08 am »
I enjoyed that, although not my inability to go fast up hills. I also found my hastily-bolted dinner of 3 slices of toast with butter, three weetabix with sugar and some chocolate didn't sit too well for most of the evening.

Anyway I got home at 1:05 having driven through very misty roads to get home.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #354 on: 29 October, 2009, 08:54:11 am »
We had a great time too. 

For me there was an added bonus as I was on Tina the Tandem with Mrs R on the back - a rare treat!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #355 on: 29 October, 2009, 11:15:14 am »
I'll supply a little more detail after my hasty post at whatever silly time it was I got in.

It was a lovely ride over to Goldhanger, a village I've driven past many times on the main road, but don't ever remember diverting into. The moon was shining most of the way, and there were skeins of mist hanging over the fields.

The Chequers is a splendid pub and is clearly very popular with diners. I arrived a minute or so after Tomsk and entered the pub through a dining area filled with what may have been a thriving WI party.

"Oooh! Where did he come from?" said a voice.

"Oooh! Another one!" said another.

St. Austell Tribute was consumed and it was very good.

OD & Mrs. OD were already ensconced and a few minutes later Mark & Liz Oakden arrived with Auntie Helen. The landlord supplied some roast potatoes which needed eating so we obliged.

The Swan at Little Totham was another excellent pub in which about 8 different ales were gravity drawn. Brewer's  Gold was the first pint and afterwards I tried another local brew, supplied only to this pub apparently, and called Totham Parva. Also very good.

I wanted to avoid Maldon on the way home so I continued to head west with the rest for quite some distance until the Hatfield Peverel signs appeared. It was at one of these that Tomsk & I parted company and soon I was at Nutty's Slimed Bottom. I used the bridge: risking a fall into cold water at some time past midnight on a deserted country lane with fog settling all around did not seem to me to be an especially good plan. I was not 100% sure where I was, but I knew that I must be pretty close to familiar roads. Besides, I had twelve pots of honey calling to me through the mist and shortly I arrived at the end of Bumfords Lane and onto a road I knew well. Through Woodham Walter, past the Hurdlemakers Arms, Cock Clarks and onto the Flambirds Farm Track. The fog was so thick now that I had to take great care not to miss junctions, and once onto the track (all concreted, but with some impressive cracks in the older slabs) not to miss the turn part-way down. From there, it was plain sailing onto Edwins Hall Road and Workhouse Lane and towards South Woodham Ferrers. For the first time I used the new A132, which was all but deserted and has a much better surface than the old road.

By the time I reached Ashingdon my bum and wrists were objecting. I hadn't put on cycling gear so was unpadded, and was on the Mercian with its forward position. This was the longest ride I'd done on it for months. I still had nother 5 mies to do, but eventually arrived home as reported above.

A very good evening but I don't think I'm up for a 3 a.m. return every Thursday morning.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #356 on: 29 October, 2009, 05:49:27 pm »
     Not a lot to add to the comprehensive reports already posted. Heartened & cheered by the attentions of the WI ladies, perhaps a career as some sort of itinerant pedal powered 'entertainer' for the mature woman beckons?! A good night out- I really enjoy mid-week outings, unlike Mrs T who is firmly in work mode until Friday night-then its time to collapse and recover! I even managed to get up for a normal Thursday (as 'normal' as that can be with the kids around, due to 1/2 term!)
    Got in at 01:35 after a very misty ride back to Dunmow, with 53 miles covered. It felt fast, even allowing for the lack of visibility, but I was puzzled by avs of only 13.5mph; then noticed the 'puter was on manual even tho' set to auto??! Some sort of fog related glitch? ???-I must investigate further.
    Can't make next week, as its book club. Should be on for a fortnight's time. :thumbsup:

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #357 on: 29 October, 2009, 06:15:51 pm »
A very good evening but I don't think I'm up for a 3 a.m. return every Thursday morning.
Get a job!!  Bloody idle rich!!!   >:( >:( >:(
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #358 on: 29 October, 2009, 06:21:33 pm »
Hey bobb, Jordon was in Chelmsford today signing books. Did you go along to meet her?  ;D

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #359 on: 29 October, 2009, 06:22:52 pm »
Hey bobb, Jordon was in Chelmsford today signing books. Did you go along to meet her?  ;D
She can write?   :o :o :o  Whose books was she signing?   ;) ;D
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #360 on: 29 October, 2009, 06:24:41 pm »
She can write?   :o :o :o  Whose books was she signing?   ;) ;D
Pink crayon in a big, taloned, fist.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #361 on: 29 October, 2009, 06:30:58 pm »
Check out BBC local TV news right now.

« Reply #362 on: 29 October, 2009, 06:35:59 pm »

Again?!! She's always doing book signings here. I'm surprised she can write her own name, let alone a book...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #363 on: 30 October, 2009, 11:28:14 am »
One is bored, I have lots of work to do but very little enthusiasm. 

I have just been looking at next week's ride to The Wheatsheaf, Writtle.  I have spied out an amusing looking 15 mile route from Witham to Writtle passing thru Terling and over the top of Chelmsford.  I have tried to incorporate as many bridlepaths and tiny roads as possible.  I haven't found loads but hopefully enough to make life amusing (in the dark  ;D ).  Judging by what the OS Explorer is saying I should be OK on 700c x 23.  Anyone fancy getting lost with me?

I will bring a map along tonight for anyone keen to have a shufty.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #364 on: 30 October, 2009, 11:32:56 am »
I'm unlikely to be around for next week's ride as I think I need an early night!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Oscar's dad

« Reply #365 on: 30 October, 2009, 11:34:30 am »
I'm unlikely to be around for next week's ride as I think I need an early night!

:'(  You'd like the route I've just found!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #366 on: 30 October, 2009, 11:46:45 am »
Why, all downhill?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #367 on: 30 October, 2009, 11:49:59 am »

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #368 on: 30 October, 2009, 11:53:22 am »
Well if it's completely downhill and trike-friendly and I can be tucked up in bed at home at Midnight I might consider it ;)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #369 on: 30 October, 2009, 11:59:42 am »
Well if it's completely downhill and trike-friendly and I can be tucked up in bed at home at Midnight I might consider it ;)

I can completely guarantee all the above!!!  You can even park your car outside my garage if you want. 

Actually, to be serious  :o it will be no bad thing to get back before Thursday.  Just means we don't stay in the pub until closing time.  I have reminded myself that this series of rides is more about cycling than drinking   ;D

« Reply #370 on: 31 October, 2009, 03:39:25 pm »
One is bored, I have lots of work to do but very little enthusiasm. 

I have just been looking at next week's ride to The Wheatsheaf, Writtle.  I have spied out an amusing looking 15 mile route from Witham to Writtle passing thru Terling and over the top of Chelmsford.  I have tried to incorporate as many bridlepaths and tiny roads as possible.  I haven't found loads but hopefully enough to make life amusing (in the dark  ;D ).  Judging by what the OS Explorer is saying I should be OK on 700c x 23.  Anyone fancy getting lost with me?

I will bring a map along tonight for anyone keen to have a shufty.

Afraid I couldn't make it to the last event due to family commitments but am looking forward to heading over this coming Wednesday. 

This route from St Anne’s Castle, Great Leigh’s to the pub takes in a bit of bridalway/off the beaten track bits if anything fits with what is planned:

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=90416

The first section from Great Leigh's to Howe Street is my post Beer-with-Oaky shortcut though I did ride into someone's back garden before   :-X

There is a Ford in the middle of Bury Lane (with a chicken run) and a nice longish section of off road from the bottom of Humprey's Farm Lane to the north part of Woodhall Hill road.  Haven’t tried that section on 700x23c before though   ;)

It was quite a chuckle last time I rode from the bottom of Beach’s drive into Writtle on the whippet bike :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #371 on: 01 November, 2009, 10:24:15 am »
Chief, your route looks fun and incorporates bits of the route I was going to use.  Why don't we meet you at St Anne's Castle and we can follow you route.  The Witham contingent can follow my route home perhaps.  What time do you suggest meeting at St Anne's?

Is this OK with everyone else?

Oaky, let me know which bike you'll be using and I will match it.

« Reply #372 on: 01 November, 2009, 04:24:15 pm »
As long as the trains behave themselves I can get back from London and be at St Anne's Castle for 7pm - so what ever works for others.  If any of us are earlier/later then we can always have a Bombardier while waiting   :D

I'll do a test ride tomorrow night but based on how much rain there has been I'd suggest mud guards and fatter tyres might be in order for the bridalway bit.  I'll be on a shiney dawes vantage on Wednesday night enjoying a mud free back    :)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #373 on: 01 November, 2009, 09:11:01 pm »
...the bridalway bit...
But I'm already married!

« Reply #374 on: 01 November, 2009, 09:14:18 pm »