Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 390007 times)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #450 on: 25 April, 2012, 09:32:16 am »
Good news: It's not raining.
Bad news: Yet.

Bloody weather.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #451 on: 25 April, 2012, 12:39:10 pm »
Good news: we are finally getting respectable download speeds.
Bad news: the house has ethernet spaghetti everywhere.

It has taken three weeks of effort and bloody-mindedness to get our phones and interwebs to work properly.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #452 on: 25 April, 2012, 01:06:34 pm »
Good news: we are finally getting respectable download speeds.
Bad news: the house has ethernet spaghetti everywhere.

It has taken three weeks of effort and bloody-mindedness to get our phones and interwebs to work properly.
Get yourself a couple of these?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335355514&sr=8-2-spell

Unless your mains electricity is particularly shonky they work a treat - because of the crappy wireless on my $ky-supplied router I use a couple of these to link the Xbox to the router upstairs. I believe there are also versions available with a pass-through if you're bothered about them hogging the only power socket.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #453 on: 25 April, 2012, 03:29:38 pm »
All the best houses have Ethernet spaghetti.  And Dallas 1-wire spaghetti.  And RS232 spaghetti.  And analogue POTS spaghetti, for that matter.

I don't have a cat5 fetish, honest.  I just like the way that with cables, you put a signal in one end and can be reasonably sure it's going to come out the other.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #454 on: 25 April, 2012, 03:33:46 pm »
All the best houses have Ethernet spaghetti.  And Dallas 1-wire spaghetti.  And RS232 spaghetti.  And analogue POTS spaghetti, for that matter.
Indeed so, but I draw the line at running Cat-5 up the stairs to Mission Control.
Of course, if I was able to use my own router instead of the pieces of shit supplied by Sky1 then it'd be moot since it'd be 5GHz-wireless-to-the-max.

1 - their broadband service is surprisingly good, but the supplied hardware is generally crap.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #455 on: 25 April, 2012, 03:41:23 pm »
We've only got the one run of cat5 going along the stairs.  And some coax that's now redundant since we ditched the TV licence.  There are about 4 runs of it going through a cunning gap where the floorboard split, along beside the heating pipes and down through the cupboard under the stairs, thobut.  Only one actually carries ethernet, though (there's a switch and ATA in the cupboard to feed the downstairs stuff).  The rest is all serial buses, and the incoming line from BT must be in there somewhere.

As long as they're not a tripping hazard, we refuse to get upset about the presence of wires.  That's the sort of wooly aesthetic thinking that leads to storing your bikes outside.

In the unlikely event of ever actually owning a house, I will of course fill the walls with UTP and/or conduit.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #456 on: 25 April, 2012, 03:47:51 pm »
Cat 5 cable is minor trip hazard by front door. (Modem is on hall windowsill, rouuter is upstairs.) Cable is tacked to stairway walls.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #457 on: 25 April, 2012, 03:59:36 pm »
Kim as Mad Cat5 Lady. ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #458 on: 25 April, 2012, 04:00:07 pm »

I don't have a cat5 fetish, honest.  I just like the way that with cables, you put a signal in one end and can be reasonably sure it's going to come out the other.

[cue anecdote]

When we moved into Ham towers, the mansion was in a state of entire disrepair, presenting the opportunity of entire renovation to sensible standards, including structured cabling. Having packed Mrs & Miss off to in-laws I proceeded to cable the whole house one weekend. This obviously entails raising floorboards all over, and running loadsalengths of Cat5 to a patch panel on the stairs to the cellar. At around 2 in the morning, I discovered that it is indeed possible, when punching down cables to a patch panel on one side, to use the rear of your shoulder to punch in the panic alarm sequence into the alarm keypad on the other side. Which cannot be cancelled. The police have to attend. And then be convinced by your explanation as to why the house looks like it has been turned over..........

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #459 on: 25 April, 2012, 04:03:02 pm »
*is impressed*

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #460 on: 25 April, 2012, 04:03:52 pm »
I see it's already sigged.  I'm honoured.
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #461 on: 25 April, 2012, 06:35:46 pm »
Good News: I have a new candle holder.
Bad News: I am now out of port.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #462 on: 25 April, 2012, 07:02:47 pm »

Where are you sailing to then?

IGMC
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #463 on: 25 April, 2012, 07:04:20 pm »

Where are you sailing to then?

IGMC

With the rain we've had here today, I think a boat may be of more use than a bike.

« Reply #464 on: 25 April, 2012, 07:44:41 pm »
Good news: I had a pizza for dinner and it's not even Friday.  :thumbsup:
Bad news: Not used to cooking them from frozen and it was a tad tepid.  :'(
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #465 on: 25 April, 2012, 07:59:35 pm »
All the best houses have Ethernet spaghetti...

Looks down to his right and nods in agreement  :D

« Reply #466 on: 26 April, 2012, 10:47:37 am »
The Good News
-------------------
I got a pay rise!

The Bad News
------------------
Tax  changes mean I get £50 per month less.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #467 on: 26 April, 2012, 10:54:32 am »
The Good News
-------------------
I got a pay rise!

The Bad News
------------------

The last time that looked like it was going to happen to me (moving from just under the threashold to just over it) I asked my manager, and HR to delay the payrise until after the next round, along with an explanation as to why.

It worked, after the next payrise I didn't lose out.  Then again, whilst at the same company, I was offered a payrise one year of X%, where X% was much smaller than the Y% I wanted.  My acceptance of X% was with the with proviso that at the next round of pay reviews I would ONLY accept Z%, which was the figure I had calculated would give me Y% + the missed rise I wanted (and more, it took me into the top 10 paid in that company)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #468 on: 26 April, 2012, 11:06:43 am »
I'm a bit puzzled, as I didn't think my payrise has taken me over any threshold.

The http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php agrees with their calculation.

I'm paying nearly £250 more per month in income tax.  Someone has to pay for George Osborne's holidays.

Sounds like I must be earning a lot, doesn't it?

My son, an underpaid hard working chef, takes home half my take-home pay.

But 5 people live off my wage, he has no dependents. For some strange reason, I'm paying him £50 a month to help him out, because he doesn't manage on his income.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #469 on: 26 April, 2012, 11:32:02 am »
Ah! That explains why I appear to be £13/month better off ...

« Reply #470 on: 26 April, 2012, 12:17:17 pm »
Just remember that this government is family-friendly.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #471 on: 26 April, 2012, 04:34:18 pm »

Yes, but which family?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #472 on: 26 April, 2012, 04:52:36 pm »

Yes, but which family?
No idea, but as a single male in full-time employment I'm used to having the proverbial target attached to my arse where Gubmint money-grabbing is concerned.

essexian

« Reply #473 on: 27 April, 2012, 04:00:06 pm »
My wife has left me.  :(

But the good news is, is that she is coming back next Friday (she has gone away with her aged Mum on holiday to Cornwall leaving me with the eight cats to care for). I am missing her already.... I mean, there is cleaning which needs doing (runs and hides.....)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #474 on: 27 April, 2012, 04:04:51 pm »
bad news: it's raining in Swindon :(

good news: the Beeb's forecast says it won't be raining in London later, and that's where I'll be. They'd better be right.