Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 394145 times)

Julian

• samoture
Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #800 on: 27 November, 2012, 03:41:48 pm »
;D

« Reply #801 on: 27 November, 2012, 03:43:27 pm »
Bad news first:   A training contract remains an almost impossible dream.   A primary opportunity source seems to have gone under.    :(  :(  :(

Good news:   One of my clients for whom I do legal and administrative work has asked me if I'd like to take over managing his business interests for him in the new year.   Negotiations start in two weeks   :)

Good news:   My name seems to have been passed forward and another law firm has invited me to do some work for them.   Maybe life aint so sh1te after all   :)

clarion

• Tyke
Getting there...

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #803 on: 27 November, 2012, 06:16:20 pm »
Bad news first:   A training contract remains an almost impossible dream.   A primary opportunity source seems to have gone under.    :(  :(  :(

Good news:   One of my clients for whom I do legal and administrative work has asked me if I'd like to take over managing his business interests for him in the new year.   Negotiations start in two weeks   :)

Good news:   My name seems to have been passed forward and another law firm has invited me to do some work for them.   Maybe life aint so sh1te after all   :)

:thumbsup:  Well deserved mate!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #804 on: 27 November, 2012, 07:09:02 pm »
Bad: I really hate riding in the rain.
Good: I won't have to do that for the next week or so, I'll be working in China instead.
Bad: I'll be missing out on all of the fun stuff HK and I have planned.
Good: I'll miss out the QA audit next week.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #805 on: 29 November, 2012, 03:41:32 pm »
Nice one PB  :thumbsup:

Good news. The 3 x Oakley sunnies with new prescriptions were ready. (old frames - updated the lenses)
Bad news. Vision Express misread the prescription and 3 lenses were out.
Good news. Fixed for free.
Even better news. I decided I wanted some "clear" Oakleys for riding and settled on a "transition lens". Vision Express gave me the new frames for free and only charged for the prescription.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #806 on: 29 November, 2012, 06:11:57 pm »
Good news - They've just opened a Co-op 5 minutes walk from the flat.  Finally some competition for Tescos.

Bad news - It looks like this is finally going to kill off our local newsagent/general store.  He's got a business for sale sign up.  I've been getting bread, milk & the occasional copy of the Guardian there for decades  :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #807 on: 30 November, 2012, 04:51:48 pm »
Good - I managed to make it to the end of the week without killing anyone at work, despite provocation.
Bad - I have to go to the Xmas dinner now. And it's frikkin freezing out there!

<wonders if 20's theme can be abandoned in favour of duvet jackets, fleecy trousers and snow boots>
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #808 on: 06 December, 2012, 12:10:02 am »
GN: I have got something that is vaguely complete and can be handed in for my OU assignment.

BN: I'm not sure it's great, can see some problems with it but can't work out how to fix them. Brain frazzled.

GN: I don't think it's terrible.

BN: I thought that for the last one and only got 67%.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #809 on: 06 December, 2012, 12:12:00 am »
<wonders if 20's theme can be abandoned in favour of duvet jackets, fleecy trousers and snow boots>

1920s?  That was the end of the Heroic Age of Antarctic Exploration, innit...

« Reply #810 on: 06 December, 2012, 02:35:20 pm »

1920s?  That was the end of the Heroic Age of Antarctic Exploration, innit...
And Everest climbing.

"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #811 on: 06 December, 2012, 02:46:32 pm »
Cool tent! I want a tent with wooden poles with knobs on :D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #812 on: 06 December, 2012, 02:53:00 pm »
Cool tent! I want a tent with wooden poles with knobs on :D.

You'll probably have to evict a dozen cub scouts first.  I'm fairly sure those tents come with them as standard.

LindaG

« Reply #813 on: 06 December, 2012, 03:14:37 pm »
Yep, we used to use tents like that at guide camp.

So who's for ascending Everest in a tweed jacket and brogues then?

They were tough people. 

« Reply #814 on: 06 December, 2012, 05:06:00 pm »
You would think that they would have asked their tailors to cut the jackets to fit the extra layers underneath.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #815 on: 06 December, 2012, 06:55:22 pm »
Bad News: My Farce Great Western Train is standing room only and 20 minutes delayed so far.

Good News: The Train Mangler has said we can sit in any seat including First Class.

Bad News: I'm 2 carriages packed with people away from the possibility if a seat.

Bad News: we've got 5 minutes into the journey and are stopped.

PaulF

« Reply #816 on: 06 December, 2012, 07:31:43 pm »
It would seem that Notwork Fail are responsible although why Farce Grate Western packed a full train out of Paddington when it must have been obvious that it would get stuck at Southall beggars belief

PaulF

« Reply #817 on: 06 December, 2012, 07:57:29 pm »
The train is an hour late and lagging. The Train Mangler has just apologised for the 'slight' delay!!

We're now waiting outside Reading for a free platform. Which is surprising since it seems every other train is also delayed.

And the good news. I'm working at home tomorrow

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #818 on: 07 December, 2012, 01:09:06 pm »
Good news: Ms Marco (Newmarket / Cambs / Eastern Counties scrum-half) has been selected for Divisional trials (girls U15 rugby).  :thumbsup:

Bad news (potentially): Mrs Marco (Newmarket / Cambs / Eastern Counties girls coach) is also a selector, although not involved in either assessing or putting Ms Marco forward for selection...  :-\

Let's hope this doesn't get more than awkward. Cue many difficult phone calls for Mrs Marco to players (& parents) who have not made the grade.

« Reply #819 on: 07 December, 2012, 09:49:15 pm »
GN Before the close of business the deal I was working on signed, >$10M! Whooo hooo!

BN I am bloody sure I used to have a n+1 bottles of pecharmant, now it appears to be just n. wurruwurruhnorgsedsf.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #820 on: 10 December, 2012, 12:21:39 pm »
Good news: Ms Marco (yes, her again) passed her Grade 8 sax exam on Sunday morning! (She has been playing it for less than 5 years; don't know where she gets that talent from.) And scored two tries and a conversion for Eastern Counties in the afternoon, for good measure.

(Slightly) Bad news: She missed out on a Merit by 3 marks...

« Reply #821 on: 10 December, 2012, 12:39:57 pm »
Congratulations to her - that's a real achievement :).

« Reply #822 on: 11 December, 2012, 09:11:01 am »
GN  -our CEO must have read my RANT , as he has decided to give us the 24th Dec as an extra holiday free gratis etc.
BN- I had already booked it as annual leave and I can't carry any more days into 2013.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #823 on: 11 December, 2012, 10:53:48 pm »
GN  -our CEO must have read my RANT , as he has decided to give us the 24th Dec as an extra holiday free gratis etc.
BN- I had already booked it as annual leave and I can't carry any more days into 2013.

Book 21st off too giving you extra long weekend before Xmas?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #824 on: 12 December, 2012, 07:14:11 pm »
Good - the new laptop to replace the one that the screen is about to fall off, arrived today, a day earlier than expected.
Bad - I didn't take the car cos I was expecting it tomorrow so I've had to leave it under my desk.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.