Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 393547 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #1425 on: 22 May, 2014, 01:23:54 am »
This has not been a good week for taxis.
Monday: taxi dies, fortunately close to destination.
Tuesday: decant episode.
Wednesday: went to E&C 'Die-In' and wanted cab to take us back to a restaurant where friends were having a Big Meal.

Wandered around for ages looking for a taxi. First one whose driver's we caught screamed that his ramp didn't work.
Next one was in a hired cab and had to fiddle for AGES, first to open ramp, then to close it.
BN: We were a bit late for the meal.
GN: This didn't matter as nobody had ordered food when we arrived.
BN: Chap organising meal had to leave early as he needed to travel a long way to get a spare key as he ha locked himself out.
BN: Minicab driver on homeward trip drove like a little boy at (speed limit +15mph) all the way home.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #1426 on: 22 May, 2014, 03:19:54 pm »
GN: I'm offski soon and not back until Wednesday :thumbsup:
BN: A frikkin thunderstorm has just broken out, right overhead  :o

At least I brought my jacket this time ::-)
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1427 on: 22 May, 2014, 03:32:01 pm »
GN: OrangeGina has a new home, so today was spent dismantling, cleaning etc. in preparation for packing and shipping by the LBS tomorrow.
BN: A couple of days ago, I thought I knew what n+1 was going to be. Now I'm not so sure ... it's a three-horse race1  ::-) Curse you, universe ... don't make me choose!

1 - Salsa El Mariachi (original choice, also orange), Salsa Fargo (nice shade of blue) or Surly ECR (just plain bad-ass)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #1428 on: 22 May, 2014, 03:34:53 pm »
ORANGE...

Looking at assembling my own 29er...or converting the super galaxy to a 29er. 

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1429 on: 22 May, 2014, 03:38:19 pm »
ORANGE...

That's what I'm thinking, especially as it'll match the orangeMandarin B17 that was on the Genesis.
However, the bad-assery of the ECR cannot be underestimated, plus it's frame and forks whereas the two Salsas are frame only.

Nyaaargh!

ETA: On the plus side, the El Mariachi is 'special order' with a lead time of 2-3 months according to the distie. This would give me extra time to agonisemake my mind up.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1430 on: 22 May, 2014, 03:41:55 pm »
ORANGE...

I'd go with building one from a 29er specific frame, trying to covert a road bike would be a bit of a non-tarter, too full of compromises.  Bottom bracket being too high and rear tyre not fitting into frame being just two that I can think of.

FWIW I can whole heartedly recommend the On-One Inbred 29er, it's no lightweight but works, for me, as a on road and off road bike.

I will resist the temptation to post a pic right now :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #1431 on: 22 May, 2014, 03:45:23 pm »
ORANGE...

That's what I'm thinking, especially as it'll match the orangeMandarin B17 that was on the Genesis.
However, the bad-assery of the ECR cannot be underestimated, plus it's frame and forks whereas the two Salsas are frame only.

Nyaaargh!

ETA: On the plus side, the El Mariachi is 'special order' with a lead time of 2-3 months according to the distie. This would give me extra time to agonisemake my mind up.

Other frames can be painted that colour ;)

« Reply #1432 on: 22 May, 2014, 03:45:32 pm »
ORANGE...

Nyaaargh!

The Surly ECR looks mental.

It would look a bit like Pugsley's little brother in your garage, though.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1433 on: 22 May, 2014, 03:45:53 pm »
FWIW I can whole heartedly recommend the On-One Inbred 29er, it's no lightweight but works, for me, as a on road and off road bike.
Also available in orange ...

tiermat

« Reply #1434 on: 22 May, 2014, 03:47:13 pm »
Also available in orange ...

BUT! Everyone knows the best colour, for that bike at any rate, is Apple Sauce Green.  I think mine is still that colour, under all the dirt and mud...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1435 on: 22 May, 2014, 03:49:06 pm »
The Surly ECR looks mental.

It would look a bit like Pugsley's little brother in your garage, though.
They'd have to be kept apart- there's too much risk of a Universe-shattering singularity of awesomeness if an ECR and Pugsley were kept in close proximity for too long.

I feel the need to meditate on this ...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #1436 on: 22 May, 2014, 03:52:23 pm »
ORANGE...

I'd go with building one from a 29er specific frame, trying to covert a road bike would be a bit of a non-tarter, too full of compromises.  Bottom bracket being too high and rear tyre not fitting into frame being just two that I can think of.

I will resist the temptation to post a pic right now :)

Was looking at even making the frame myself, but at on one prices I shouldn't bother.

Looking to use the galaxy for something.  Was thinking road bar with bar end gear change triple bike.  But seem to have ended up with lots of frames that I really want to keep but duplication on the same type of bike seems odd.

tiermat

« Reply #1437 on: 22 May, 2014, 03:55:55 pm »
If going down the Inbred route, make sure you get the frame with the Swap-outs.  This allows you to run it single speed, IGH or geared by just swapping the drop outs on the back end.

For a while they stopped making them with swap outs, but I think too many people wanted them so they have them in stock again.

« Reply #1438 on: 22 May, 2014, 07:59:16 pm »
GN: I have sorted out my transport for Edingburgh - a recycled cycle! http://www.thebikestation.org.uk/ - very helpful folk on the end of the phone, all cool

GGN: Mrs Ham when appraised of the fact I was buying another bike, after explanation, said "That's a good idea" (I wonder if she's ill ? )

BN: It will be a couple of weeks before I can get to utilise the same

« Reply #1439 on: 23 May, 2014, 04:15:36 pm »
BN: before my camping trip I sterilised the 2.5L Platypus I use for water.  I had no Milton so I used dilute Dettol and rinsed thourouhly.

It was Dettol perfumed with Rosemary & Lavender or some such shite...

GN; I can't taste Dettol and it's not making me I'll.

BN: every drop of water that comes out of the bladder has a sickly sweet smell & taste that even strong Lapsang Souchong can't hide.

More bad news, this morning I refilled both water bottles from the bladder and now they both Ming as well :-(

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #1440 on: 24 May, 2014, 04:50:20 pm »
BN:  The kitchen sink tap failed so it can't be turned off
GN:  There are isolator taps under the sink
GN2:The replacement only cost 27 Euros for a single lever ceramic mixer tap.
GN3: Fitting was surprisingly straight forward
216km from Marsh Gibbon

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1441 on: 24 May, 2014, 08:22:02 pm »
BN: before my camping trip I sterilised the 2.5L Platypus I use for water.  I had no Milton so I used dilute Dettol and rinsed thourouhly.

It was Dettol perfumed with Rosemary & Lavender or some such shite...

GN; I can't taste Dettol and it's not making me I'll.

BN: every drop of water that comes out of the bladder has a sickly sweet smell & taste that even strong Lapsang Souchong can't hide.

More bad news, this morning I refilled both water bottles from the bladder and now they both Ming as well :-(

Use cheap thin bleach next time! Sainsbury's Basics thin bleach is a whopping 30p for two litres.

« Reply #1442 on: 25 May, 2014, 08:31:43 pm »
Bad: Acyclovir 800mg pills are monstrous things, & therefore hard to swallow.

Good: The instruction leaflet says the pills can be dispersed (they don't really dissolve) in water & taken thus.

Better: There's no nasty taste, just a slight grittiness.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1443 on: 19 June, 2014, 07:38:22 pm »
Hurrah!  My new sofa is here and assembled.
Bah!  All cushions available from Mr Sainsbury are expensive, horrid, or both.  This means my fourth trip to IKEA in less than a fortnight chiz :(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1444 on: 19 June, 2014, 08:51:39 pm »
Dunelm Mill, Mr L?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1445 on: 19 June, 2014, 08:54:01 pm »
Dunelm Mill, Mr L?

Also Home base and BM
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Ruth

« Reply #1446 on: 19 June, 2014, 09:09:33 pm »
Just paid my first month's rent and my bond for my new place.

This has made a large hole in my finances.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1447 on: 19 June, 2014, 10:38:18 pm »
Nearest Dunelm is in Enfield, which requires one to travel within close proximity to Edmonton.  B&M are even further away.  And Homebase are a shower of dunces.  IKEA aten't too bad iffen you get early enough and tell yourself that IKEA is just another shop.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #1448 on: 20 June, 2014, 08:33:38 am »
GN: Went on a DAET last night.

BN: Her opening gambit - in THE quintessential cycling city, Oxford - was along the lines of "I don't like seeing bikes on the road, I think they're dangerous..."

:facepalm:

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1449 on: 20 June, 2014, 04:18:59 pm »
Hurrah!  I have survived IKEA, got my iPod talking to the hifi without needing to turn the amp up to 11 and declared the Great Hall of Larrington Towers open for bizness.
Bah! Larrington Towers no longer contains a functional cassette deck.