Author Topic: Start Time/Group  (Read 25940 times)

Re: Start Time/Group
« Reply #125 on: 23 April, 2019, 01:18:33 pm »
I’m out :( just emailed my remaining qualifiers to confirm a DNS on both, and the ferry company to see if I get a refund or not. 

All health related, I need to work out what i’m eating that makes me ill and (assuming it is wheat) do a better job of working out how to avoid it whilst on my bike - so far i’m being ill on every audax :(. Time to focus on my health, PBP will wait.

Do I have to do something with PBP, or simply ignore it now, safe in the knowledge that not finishing my qualifiers will be enough?

As a coeliac I can sympathise - took me years of feeling properly ill to work it out, but since then all good and I am back to Audax - good luck and you are right to prioritise health.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #126 on: 23 April, 2019, 10:21:44 pm »
Just imagine the schism if Scotland gets independence! Not only we (the English, Welsh and Northern Irish) not be able to cross into Europe we will not be able to ride on the A7 North of Carlisle. Along with our economy collapsing we will be unable to travel and will not have enough to eat and all continental food will either be banned or unavailable. Stella will become a luxury item and people in BMWs will mug tramps and chavs just to get the high status Belgian beer. People will build towers on the white cliffs of Dover just to catch a glimce of the promised land. As society as we know it collapses there is hope a new ride, London Land's End London is announced and it it will all be in good old England. Shunned by the Scots and the Continentals (term last used by Ron Atkinson) we are are destined to cycle on this divided land.

BB

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #127 on: 24 April, 2019, 10:01:24 am »
Stella will become a luxury item

Almost plausible apart from that bit.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

bairn again

« Reply #128 on: 24 April, 2019, 10:33:41 am »
....the A7 North of Carlisle.......Stella.........

Scots are increasingly stocking up with Stella etc in places such as Carlisle & Berwick, following the introduction of minimum alcohol unit pricing north of the border.   

Carlisle is our Calais.   :o

https://www.ft.com/content/09dbcf84-4f97-11e8-a7a9-37318e776bab

“We’re selling it from pallets rather than the shelf". 

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #129 on: 24 April, 2019, 10:40:14 am »
 :o indeed!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #130 on: 24 April, 2019, 11:07:31 am »
Wonder how many tins you have to buy for the price difference to cover the cost of the drive down from the central belt.
Makes more sense if you'd normally shop at Gala, Jedburgh or Dumfries I suppose.

Similarly when I visited the town of Comiens in France, as I walked from the station towards the town centre and then onto the bridge I noted it is very different from others, there's am abnormally low number of Tabacs and cafés.
On crossing the bridge and into Belgium I was bombarded with a street of Cafés and Tabacs.

https://goo.gl/maps/DWnYiJhWcue4YMrW9

Although what was weirder was the train on the Belgian side, I was unaware that the town is in an enclave of Wallonia, so for one stop only the guard spoke French first followed by Flandrian.

« Reply #131 on: 24 April, 2019, 01:16:47 pm »
It's worth thinking what shops will be open in relation to your pace and start time. It's not worth knowing that there's a Netto in Tinteniac, and a supermarket in Sizun, if they will be closed when you're there.
I've never been in Loudeac at a time to shop at the nearby Aldi.

« Reply #132 on: 28 June, 2019, 04:44:13 pm »
I've received this email:

Dear riders

In order to satisfy the many change of departure time requests, we have added an option to change your departure time, as far as your frame plate number has not been allocated.
If possible, we invite you to choose a departure time with more free slots.

Regards,

The PBP organising board

- I thought I was locked into the 7.15 departure time but now the website says "-24 places" for this time.

What is going on? I don't want to start at 8.30pm.

Any ideas?

« Reply #133 on: 28 June, 2019, 05:06:29 pm »
Thierry has come back to my email straight away to confirm I'm in the slot that I opted for.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #134 on: 28 June, 2019, 05:14:25 pm »
Its simple really, your locked in to your start time, but you can move to a slot with places available .

I real dont get this endless worry and people fretting .
Why is everything so difficult for the modern rider! God knows how these riders would have managed before the internet.

« Reply #135 on: 28 June, 2019, 05:20:05 pm »
It just seemed like an unnecessary email. Why tell me that I can move to a later time? I'm glad that it makes perfect sense to you.

« Reply #136 on: 28 June, 2019, 06:19:06 pm »
It just seemed like an unnecessary email. Why tell me that I can move to a later time? I'm glad that it makes perfect sense to you.
Why not? Some riders may (both or all) wish to move to the same start time.

« Reply #137 on: 28 June, 2019, 06:29:19 pm »
Why not? Some riders may (both or all) wish to move to the same start time.

And for some of usme, it meant weI could move to an earlier start time.

« Reply #138 on: 28 June, 2019, 06:32:39 pm »
Easy postie, Peter Marshall

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #139 on: 29 June, 2019, 07:16:49 am »
Its simple really, your locked in to your start time, but you can move to a slot with places available .

Why is everything so difficult for the modern rider! God knows how these riders would have managed before the internet.
This worries me some times. We need to know everything down to the minute. Now if during the bike check they told you your start time had been put back 30 mins would you bat an eyelid?
On the constant Internet I have just finished a week long tour in Scotland, 4G everywhere. Now 5 years ago only mobile reception was in towns and pubs had the only Internet. Even the remotest places are now on line.

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #140 on: 29 June, 2019, 04:02:37 pm »
Now if during the bike check they told you your start time had been put back 30 mins would you bat an eyelid?

Probably not.

I won't ask if I have another question about the event or I'll PM people I know.

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #141 on: 29 June, 2019, 07:12:05 pm »
Now if during the bike check they told you your start time had been put back 30 mins would you bat an eyelid?

Probably not.

I won't ask if I have another question about the event or I'll PM people I know.

Just ignore them. Your questions are useful, and that's what the forum is for. Ask away - other people might be interested in the answers!
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands

« Reply #142 on: 29 June, 2019, 08:58:43 pm »

We'd have managed but it would be a lot less fun, both for ourselves and the audience!
Reine de la Fauche

Ben T

« Reply #143 on: 29 June, 2019, 09:24:28 pm »

This worries me some times. We need to know everything down to the minute. Now if during the bike check they told you your start time had been put back 30 mins would you bat an eyelid?
On the constant Internet I have just finished a week long tour in Scotland, 4G everywhere. Now 5 years ago only mobile reception was in towns and pubs had the only Internet. Even the remotest places are now on line.

Not as many camper vans though 5 years ago...  ::-)

« Reply #144 on: 01 July, 2019, 01:33:17 pm »
Any other special needs received conflicting update on start time for 90hr group?

My registration is still showing Group f at 17:15, yet I have received an unsolicited update saying I'm now group h at 17:45, but still special needs.

EDIT: Must have been a recalled email, as soon as I opened it properly rather than preview pane it disappeared!