Author Topic: Amesbury Amble 300, 1st July  (Read 8329 times)

Amesbury Amble 300, 1st July
« on: 12 May, 2017, 12:28:22 am »
Kingston Wheelers Audax Chapter's spanking new 300, the Amesbury Amble, is open for business!

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-269/

An easy-going, gently rolling course, 200k of which on quiet audaxy lanes, with almost 16 hours of daylight, makes this an ideal first 300.

Our £10 entry fee includes breakfast and dinner and, for those coming in from afar, two nights luxury accommodation, i.e. scout hut, not bus shelter!
You will search far and wide to find a better value bike ride!

We look forward to receiving your entries.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
Re: Amesbury Amble 300, 1st July
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2017, 04:38:19 am »

From what I can see on the small map that looks like a good route. Sadly I'm the wrong side of the Atlantic to enjoy it :(
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2 on: 14 May, 2017, 01:16:21 pm »
I've checked the trains from Woking, accommodation options, & my calendar and I can't find a single reason not to make this.  Oh bugger. 
Best get training since I've only done one 100 since January.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2017, 01:05:26 pm »
Incredibly tempting. Need to work out how to pack sleeping bag and mat into saddlebag...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4 on: 15 May, 2017, 06:56:16 pm »
Incredibly tempting. Need to work out how to pack sleeping bag and mat into saddlebag...

Are you riding a long way to the start?  If not, bring it in a backpack and leave it with me.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 15 May, 2017, 07:44:36 pm »
Backpack would work. Negotiating significant birthdays now...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6 on: 25 May, 2017, 04:31:58 pm »
With an uncharacteristic amount of forward planning I have just entered.

All I need now is a couple of bigger rides so this becomes tapering for LEL, and not a last chance panic.

« Reply #7 on: 25 May, 2017, 05:34:53 pm »
Richard, could you use a controller volunteer in Bracknell?

I am no where near fit enough to ride 300km but seeing as you are in my home town I can turn out to stamp cards and only have a short ride home after the last rider goes through.

Matthew

« Reply #8 on: 25 May, 2017, 06:11:55 pm »
I am up for this. Will be sleeping in scout hall beforehand!

« Reply #9 on: 25 May, 2017, 06:44:30 pm »
Richard, could you use a controller volunteer in Bracknell?
Matthew

very kind offer thanks...but the Bracknell control is open from approx 3pm till midnight...are you sure you want to cover that?!

we're planning to use this 24h Esso garage, unless you can suggest better?

« Reply #10 on: 26 May, 2017, 10:57:53 am »
You have a PM

SoreTween

« Reply #11 on: 06 June, 2017, 08:08:04 pm »
Is there a provisional gpx or route sheet for this yet?  Or just a ridewithgps link?  I'm not in yet as I'm still having nerve trouble in my left arm.  If I can plan a good selection of exit strategies I'll likely commit.  Or perhaps out if the trains are not going to work from enough points near the route.

In return for an advance peek I offer any assistance I can give in fettling the routesheet.  I'm in Woking all week so can check out sections this way and would view every instruction point on Google as part of my normal prep anyway.

« Reply #12 on: 06 June, 2017, 09:46:19 pm »
I know someone doing a route check the weekend before so a gpx might be available from that ride.

« Reply #13 on: 06 June, 2017, 11:27:07 pm »
There is an outline map on the event entry page which shows that the route passes close to many mainline stations for trains back to London for anyone wanting that safety net. The route has been ridden and checked about a dozen times by half that many riders, so we feel it's just about as good as we can get it, but we apologise in advance for Bracknell!

We have almost 50 entries now, ten came in just today.  There will be a 100 rider limit, as this is our first event using the scout hut in Raynes Park, so we are feeling our way tentatively with new hosts and want to create a good impression so we can use it next year as our SR base. We have a fantastic dinner lined up at the arrivée, with four choices including veggie and vegan, all cooked from fresh ingredients by semi-pro chef.

If you like the sound of that, get your entry in fast before we have to close the doors!

« Reply #14 on: 07 June, 2017, 09:54:46 am »
Laidbackrich, is there any plan to make this a perm? I had hoped to ride the calendar event to complete my SR for this year but real life has intervened.

Thanks

« Reply #15 on: 07 June, 2017, 05:19:53 pm »
Laidbackrich, is there any plan to make this a perm? I had hoped to ride the calendar event to complete my SR for this year but real life has intervened.
Thanks

That may well happen, but you are welcome to do it as a DIY in the meantime, the DIYSE number to quote is 6886, and I can email you the GPX and route sheet if you PM me your email address

« Reply #16 on: 08 June, 2017, 09:16:54 am »
Brilliant, thanks very much. You have PM.

SoreTween

« Reply #17 on: 10 June, 2017, 08:18:02 pm »
Ok last awkward git question.  When does the routesheet & GPS come out?  It looks like I'll be in forrin the week before so email access not guaranteed, printer access unlikely and laminator access not a hope.

Sorry to be a pain.

« Reply #18 on: 10 June, 2017, 10:44:33 pm »
we are just dotting and crossing the last i's and t's and it should be sent out to riders by this time next week - email me if you need it sooner

SoreTween

« Reply #19 on: 11 June, 2017, 09:28:31 am »
Thanks Rich, I'm in.

Now, do I get some comfortable tyres on the lightweight bike I rarely use or move the TT bars to the crossbreed I've audaxed on so far....  Decisions decisions.

« Reply #20 on: 12 June, 2017, 11:27:16 am »
There is an outline map on the event entry page which shows that the route passes close to many mainline stations for trains back to London for anyone wanting that safety net. The route has been ridden and checked about a dozen times by half that many riders, so we feel it's just about as good as we can get it, but we apologise in advance for Bracknell!

I'm not sure why your apologising for Bracknell, Ok it's not an ideal settlement to traverse on an Audax but the route you have devised is a good balance of direct and utilising the separate cycleways to avoid the worst of the junctions.

It may look fiddly on the route sheet but it should be straight forward to ride through and this local can't improve on it.

« Reply #21 on: 13 June, 2017, 11:44:50 pm »
I'm expecting an entry from a 12-year old! (riding with dad).  Anyone know if he finishes will he be the youngest? Are such records kept?

« Reply #22 on: 20 June, 2017, 04:19:54 pm »
Just 25 places left now on this ride, so book your place now to avoid disappointment!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #23 on: 20 June, 2017, 04:24:52 pm »
I'm expecting an entry from a 12-year old! (riding with dad).  Anyone know if he finishes will he be the youngest? Are such records kept?

For many years, Audax UK record the youngest rider to complete a 200 (or longer) on their own bike. http://www.aukweb.net/results/detail/this/young/ goes back to 2000 (but only shows results for the current year, curiously) but I think that Noel and Sheila Simpson's son may have shaded your 12 year old entrant back in the dim, dark ages.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #24 on: 20 June, 2017, 05:36:54 pm »
I asked the AUK recorder...Do you have any record of the youngest rider ever to complete a 300km brevet?

Answer: I don't think we do. We record youngest 200s on solo machines each year, but I'm not aware of anything on 300s. But if your entrant completes it ... we can probably manage some kind of 'special' award at the Reunion.