Author Topic: Who would like my Audax points...  (Read 10094 times)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Who would like my Audax points...
« Reply #25 on: 30 May, 2017, 11:06:23 pm »
I seem to recall you can't transfer midway through the season, or at least your points won't count.
We haven't done that for a number of years.  However, I wouldn't rule out reinstating the "transfer window" in the future.  This would be particularly useful in PBP years, as qualifiers ridden for different clubs can lead to confusion over at ACP.

There is actually an 'ACP lock' in place, so that your 'ACP club' for your first BRM of the (ACP) season becomes the club that all your subsequent BRMs are credited to, regardless of any changes you make or try to make.  The lock is unlocked early in November, so that you have a brief opportunity to make changes if you want before the next season.

If you transfer clubs mid-year, do your points already earned that year transfer, or only points from that date onwards? (Asking for a friend.)

For AUK purposes they transfer.  ie, the opposite of the ACP club behaviour described above.  Scope for some high level dodgy dealing around season end.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #26 on: 30 May, 2017, 11:33:17 pm »
For AUK purposes they transfer.  ie, the opposite of the ACP club behaviour described above.  Scope for some high level dodgy dealing around season end.

Which just asks the question of why do we bother with this competition when we are a non-competitive organisation?  Folk can jostle around points just to say "we're the best!".

« Reply #27 on: 31 May, 2017, 12:32:02 am »
Give the points to the club you feel closely associated with. If you don't feel closely associated with any club then don't give anyone the points.

For a while I gave mine (50 points in one season once, and that just scraped into the top 6) to YACF as that was the closest association I had having never been a member of a 'real' cycling club.

Now mine go to a 'real' cycling club as I needed to join a real one so I could do the Mersey Roads 24h TT. But I've still never been on a club run with them so it all feels a bit dubious.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #28 on: 31 May, 2017, 12:42:30 am »
Which just asks the question of why do we bother with this competition when we are a non-competitive organisation?

Simply put: It may form the basis for some extra encouragement for people to go out and do more rides than they may have done had the (non-)competition not been there.

I know I've been motivated in the past to go out and do an extra 200 just to get ahead of some other people in my local CTC district/area. It all helps.

None of it really means anything so what's the harm in it?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #29 on: 31 May, 2017, 01:55:18 pm »
My other thought was maybe Blacksheep CC. I'm quite a fan of Mark Rigby's rides.

Seems s good choice, AGMs are great, loads of fringe benefits, lots of laughs.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Mr Green

• LEL, SR, RRtY, 24TT
« Reply #30 on: 31 May, 2017, 02:08:21 pm »
How about Audax Club Lincolnshire?

Do you have any vague Lincolnshire connections?  Cycled through it once or twice?

This is the county where six degrees of separation is actually three as we all know/have a connection with one another indirectly. Join our Facebook group and help boost our club points as we could do with a few more!

I have ridden the flat-lands, but it was a bit Ukippy for my tastes; plus it would be a bit of a schlep to get to your meetings from Oxford!
It looks like ACL is doing pretty good without the addition of my very average points.
 :)

Looks like
What a lot of effort just for a cloth badge.

Mr Green

• LEL, SR, RRtY, 24TT
« Reply #31 on: 31 May, 2017, 02:08:58 pm »
Are there any rules against putting my points on eBay?
What a lot of effort just for a cloth badge.

« Reply #32 on: 31 May, 2017, 02:53:52 pm »
Are there any rules against putting my points on eBay?

Why would you want to help eBay win the trophy?

« Reply #33 on: 31 May, 2017, 04:10:42 pm »
The VC167 currently has no members who live outside the North of England

... but they did once have members who lived in the south who have since moved to live in the VC167 heartland.  It's normally the other way round, that people move to an area and then join a local club.

We were only temporarily in The South. It was always my intention to move North home. I've always said path, and moo-er. :)

That Mr Smith is only in so he could match me. He still says parth sometimes :D

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #34 on: 31 May, 2017, 04:21:26 pm »
HK lives north of the Thames. That counts as the North of England, right?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #35 on: 31 May, 2017, 04:27:26 pm »
I'm thinking of joining Nice Aeroport CC on that basis ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #36 on: 31 May, 2017, 04:29:06 pm »
You could change your name to join Dave CC.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #37 on: 31 May, 2017, 04:34:23 pm »
If there was some interest it might be interesting to see if a Thames Valley Audax might work. Shirts can be got for small runs. But maybe that is just a little too diverse. Reading Audax Club?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #38 on: 31 May, 2017, 08:32:00 pm »
Audax Club Hackney organise the Dean 300k out of Oxford so there's a slightly tenuous connection there.

True that... they might be the most geographically diverse club given reach from South East Coast to Hertforshire/Essex to Wales!

That used to be Willesden.  VC167 has tried it on recently.

We in the Willesden used to be the cycling equivalent of Manchester United

« Reply #39 on: 31 May, 2017, 10:02:11 pm »
I'm thinking of joining Nice Aeroport CC on that basis ...

What's their kit like?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #40 on: 31 May, 2017, 11:24:09 pm »
Cycling Club DuBois (CCDB)

We rely on the kindness of strangers

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #41 on: 01 June, 2017, 01:25:45 am »
Audax Club Hackney organise the Dean 300k out of Oxford so there's a slightly tenuous connection there.

True that... they might be the most geographically diverse club given reach from South East Coast to Hertforshire/Essex to Wales!

That used to be Willesden.  VC167 has tried it on recently.

We in the Willesden used to be the cycling equivalent of Manchester United

Suspect I was the only Willesden Cycle Club member who actually cycled through Willesden every day...

« Reply #42 on: 01 June, 2017, 08:35:07 am »
If there was some interest it might be interesting to see if a Thames Valley Audax might work. Shirts can be got for small runs. But maybe that is just a little too diverse. Reading Audax Club?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Milton Keynes is covered by Thames Valley Police, so if TVA was set up, my points could be available!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #43 on: 01 June, 2017, 12:05:43 pm »
If there was some interest it might be interesting to see if a Thames Valley Audax might work. Shirts can be got for small runs. But maybe that is just a little too diverse.
Actually I think TVA feels about the right size - it's pretty comparable to Bristol, possibly with a smaller popn? And Willesden/Hackney/VC167 all have geographically wider catchments.

It does exist under the radar already:
http://www.thamesvalleyaudax.co.uk/

More of an "event organising"  than a "winning club trophies" emphasis e.g.
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-602/

(Of course BB and I are both members of "local" clubs in the Thames Valley that organise audaxes. And many other cycling events.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #44 on: 01 June, 2017, 03:02:18 pm »
Must be old fashioned a seriously old skool but thought that joining a club was to do with riding with your mates plus any club social stuff. You know groups like the VC167, Portsmouth, Hackney, Essex & Bristol that have pub runs, club runs  and bring on newbies  Not about something so "banal" to quote the co-pilot as AUK club points.

Agree with Veloman it's time points "championships" went given AUK non competitive. Then folks can go touring without the need to collect points. How old skool
Would that be!

« Reply #45 on: 01 June, 2017, 05:34:19 pm »
Must be old fashioned a seriously old skool but thought that joining a club was to do with riding with your mates plus any club social stuff. You know groups like the VC167, Portsmouth, Hackney, Essex & Bristol that have pub runs, club runs  and bring on newbies  Not about something so "banal" to quote the co-pilot as AUK club points.

Yes, and most importantly, organising Audax events for all of us to enter! I initially joined ACH for the more social and points based reasons, but with the support of the club went on to run events which is now probably the most rewarding part of it, and not something I would have considered before.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #46 on: 01 June, 2017, 05:44:02 pm »

Yes, and most importantly, organising Audax events for all of us to enter! I initially joined ACH for the more social and points based reasons, but with the support of the club went on to run events which is now probably the most rewarding part of it, and not something I would have considered before.
I second that.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #47 on: 01 June, 2017, 09:19:54 pm »
You're so well old fashioned HK.

« Reply #48 on: 03 June, 2017, 07:48:21 am »
I am old school too.... I run audax club Portsmouth and its about riding  our bikes , we have helped lots of new riders start riding audax events of all distances .
We have weekly club rides, social events etc . bottom line is its about getting people riding bikes and enjoying cycling.plus its good to have a club that flys the audax flag. ITS NOT ABOUT POINTS..

Yellow Giant

• Or call me Ian
Who would like my Audax points...
« Reply #49 on: 04 June, 2017, 11:15:50 am »
Are "we" getting a tad serious about what started as a light hearted and amusing comment.
Can someone tell me how I set up my own club as I don't appear to fit the criteria for any Audax club due to my location. I'd been looking at club shirts to make my decision.

Hang on - is Audax UK a club. We're all members. They'd win all the club trophies.  And they do kit - in all the colours and all the sizes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If all rides could be gentle pedalling downhill with the wind behind rather than puffing uphill with a windy behind.