Author Topic: Which disc brakes?  (Read 2833 times)

Which disc brakes?
« on: 01 July, 2012, 07:29:35 pm »
I have some Avid Juicy 5's, which have seen better days. Probably quite repairable with a service, but I don't have the inclination. Pistons stuck out, one slightly leaking oil ...

So, I'd like to replace them, with a set which have lever reach adjustment, preferably bite point adjustment, easy to bleed, reliable. Not sure of budget, but probably <£150 for the set.

I've read this thread which seems to point towards Shimano SLX but perhaps there are new models on the market/ new people reading this. I've had a bit of a look at Hope brakes, and they look good, but pricey. What does the panel recommend? I'm fed up with dragging brakes and can't really ride my bike until I've sorted this!

Re: Which disc brakes?
« Reply #1 on: 01 July, 2012, 08:00:31 pm »
I've had various models of Hope brakes (although all fairly old models; XC4, C2, M4), BB7s, BB5s, Juicy 5s and SLX M665s. Of those, the SLXs are the clear winner for me...  :thumbsup: Although not by such a margin that I'm rushing out to replace the Avids on my second bike.  ;D
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2 on: 01 July, 2012, 08:22:56 pm »
I'd actually go for a set of BB5's unless you're into full on downhill riding. if you go on eBay you can get a set for half your budget.

They're cable rather than hydraulic but give good stopping power and modulation and are easy to service.

I've got Magura Julie HPs on my Swift which have been trouble free for the past 18 months but are about due a bleed and I'm split between getting them serviced or swapping them for BB7s not least because I'll hen have a common set of pads across all my bikes...

If you're set on hydraulic then the consensus on Singletrackworld.com seems to be the SLX although they appear to be a replaceable rather than serviceable item.

[/ramble]

« Reply #3 on: 01 July, 2012, 08:57:46 pm »
I've got a BB7 on the front as temporary measure, given the fluid seep I mentioned. It stops me fine, but the lever feel is a bit heavy (even with the return spring adjuster wound all the way out on the caliper - which I had to wind back in to the starting position to stop the outer pad working loose after a couple of mins). It's also a bit spongy, due to the cable outer flexing under compression.

If I could find a solution to this return spring issue, I'd probably just get another cable disc and sidestep all the hydraulic faff. On a side note, I was under the impression that BB5 were vastly inferior to the BB7?

Thanks for the STW summary - I find that forum a bit harder to navigate and search so don't spend much time on it. I'm not a downhiller, but I do enjoy the downs, so I'm after a brake that isn't going to lead to pumped arms any more than necessary!

PaulF

« Reply #4 on: 01 July, 2012, 09:14:56 pm »
Sorry had a brainfart, was confusing BB30 bottom brackets :facepalm: of course I meant BB7!

What levers are you using? I've got a set of Avid Speed Dials which work well.

And yes STW is hard to navigate!

« Reply #5 on: 01 July, 2012, 09:36:43 pm »
I'm using one of these:

It was part of my first  (and I think THE  first)  set of V-brakes! Great levers.

PaulF

« Reply #6 on: 01 July, 2012, 09:42:13 pm »
Haven't used those but my Speed Dials were less than £15 so worth a punt?

« Reply #7 on: 01 July, 2012, 09:49:27 pm »
I can recommend the new XTs which I've fitted to my mtb, but I hear the SLX is almost as good, just a little heavier and much cheaper.

Love most of Hope's kit but not impressed with the price / performance of thier brakes compared with the Shimano stuff.

« Reply #8 on: 19 September, 2012, 04:10:59 pm »
+1 for the new XTs. The feel and performance is stunning compared to the Avid Juicy 5s I have used in the past.

« Reply #9 on: 20 September, 2012, 11:27:47 am »
I got a set of SLX (one this year's, one last year's on sale). Just waiting for me to get round to fitting them!

« Reply #10 on: 05 December, 2012, 12:28:41 pm »
Well after several months' use (maybe a dozen rides if that) I'm very happy with these brakes (SLX). Good lever feel, no rotor drag, plenty of power in the dry, wet, mud and snow.

Thanks for the recommendation.

The only minor downside is a bit of a knocking sound when I start to brake , which I think is the pads moving slightly, and happens on XT brakes too, so I think is a general Shimano "characteristic".