Author Topic: .gpx to Garmin Etrex HC  (Read 2749 times)

.gpx to Garmin Etrex HC
« on: 14 August, 2010, 04:15:17 am »
I tried posting this elsewhere without any sucess- can some one help?

For those of you riding The Old 240 this Saturday, a *.gpx file created in bikeroutetoaster and kindly provided by Mike Thompson, is available on the same website at
http://www.halifaxctc.org.uk/WestYorkshireSR/Calendar/ACTIVE%20LOG.gpx

Can somebody please give me a clear idiots simple step by step guide to transfering this to a garmin etrex HC to use this coming Saturday.

I am a GPS novice and keep getting a message that this file is corrupt?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: .gpx to Garmin Etrex HC
« Reply #1 on: 14 August, 2010, 06:22:16 am »
Looks OK to me - I've at least managed to get it into RoadTrip.

The only issue I had was that it downloaded as "ACTIVE LOG.gpx.txt" so I renamed it to "ACTIVE LOG.gpx".

What software are you using?

In RoadTrip on a Mac I import the file, copy to a new folder and then send folder contents to my eTrex.

« Reply #2 on: 14 August, 2010, 07:55:01 am »
I have mapsource and Easy gps.

I do not know RoadTrip I can try it - no I can't I have not got a Mac :facepalm:.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3 on: 14 August, 2010, 08:07:42 am »
Mapsource should work in a similar way but I haven't tried it for the same reasons as you :)

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #4 on: 14 August, 2010, 09:08:07 am »
Right click the original link and then "save as"
Save the file as a .gpx file
Then just open the file in Mapsource.  I'm using Mapsource 2010 and it opens fine.

You'll need to cut the track up and bring the individual segments down to less than 500 points before transferring to to the Garmin.

DAve

« Reply #5 on: 14 August, 2010, 09:13:48 am »
One thing I figured out just before the Easter Arrow was the trick to cutting down a track.
My Vista model holds something like 20 tracks.  Just cut your first track a few under the maximum waypoints for your device and save that as the 1st one.  On the options on your device make sure you have it displayed on map ticked.  Then when you cut the next one off the main track, ensure you start where you cut the last one and repeat.  In the end you will have a number of shorter tracks with all the waypoints you need and when you get to that point on the ride the new track appears, seamless, and you have much less pfaff than stripping down one long track to under the waypoint limit.

I may not have explained that very well and it is probably what most of you do already, but I had never figured that out until just prior to the Arrow.  ::-)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #6 on: 14 August, 2010, 10:29:49 am »
Reducing the number of trackpoints means the track will start taking short cuts across meandering roads.

Its amazing how often I find myself thinking 'why on earth does the route take this windy road? I'll think I'll take the turn coming up which goes direct to the next junction' till the penny drops. Doh!

« Reply #7 on: 14 August, 2010, 05:53:29 pm »
Right I can open it on mapsource now.

When I have reduced it down to 500 waypoints, do I save it to the Garmin as a track?

How do I open it when it is on the device?

Thanks -  I will get there in the end!

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #8 on: 14 August, 2010, 05:56:51 pm »
Better to split it, as DaveJ suggests.   In Mapsource, 'Tools, Track Divide'.

You'll need to cut the track up and bring the individual segments down to less than 500 points before transferring to to the Garmin.

And rename them all.  Ie don't leave the first one named 'Active Log'.  And colour them green while you're there.
All in Track 'Properties'.

Then on the Garmin just go into the Tracks menu and check that each one is ticked to 'show on map' - it probably will be but sometimes one goes missing and you have to tick it.  That's it.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #9 on: 15 August, 2010, 10:47:07 am »
Right I can open it on mapsource now.
When I have reduced it down to 500 waypoints, do I save it to the Garmin as a track?

Of course - once you have the track visible onscreen in Mapsource, it's relatively simple just to use the 'Route' tool to click along it at strategic intervals, to create a Route along the same roads.  You could upload both to the GPS.  Using a Route allows a bit more of the 'GPS as satnav' functionality to be deployed, which may or may not be to your taste. (Tip: don't 'close the circle' when constructing a Route - especially if using autorouting - make 2 Routes, one for 'out' and one for 'back'.)

ie, some people prefer Tracks, some prefer Routes, some like to use both.  Downloadable 'provided' files are usually Tracks because these are relatively unambiguous and ultimately more informative, but IMO the GPS is a more useful and interesting device when following a Route.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

JJ

« Reply #10 on: 15 August, 2010, 12:22:15 pm »
ie, some people prefer Tracks, some prefer Routes, some like to use both.  

I'm a fan of having both.  IME, things often go wrong on the road with a route, and having the track there is a great fallback.

As FF says for routes, I'd advise having the track two parts, out and back, with < 500 points each.

Just duplicate the track in mapsource.  Select one copy and delete all the track points after a middle control (in track properties).  Make a note of the point number that you deleted from, and delete all the points up to that in the other copy.  Then filter them each down to 500.  Set the colours to something easy to see, like green.

Save the result to a gdb file and load it up to the Garmin.

If short of time, I wouldn't bother with the route, even though the beep-beep and light up is  really nice to have at night.

Have a good ride.