Author Topic: .fit file splitter that actually works?  (Read 4996 times)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
.fit file splitter that actually works?
« on: 21 May, 2016, 06:45:31 pm »
Is there one?  I'm trying to split a file that contains a rail transfer.

TCXConverter - barfs on the files from my garmin 500, tried it installed on Win7 and in an XP VM.
FitFileRepairTool - Tried splitting the data a few lines before the dummy data the trial version splats over the 2nd half of the file.  Instead of a train transfer to Guildford I now have a transfer by very exotic craft to a point off the coast of Ghana.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: .fit file splitter that actually works?
« Reply #1 on: 21 May, 2016, 06:47:18 pm »
https://www.fitfiletools.com/#/top

I have not done what you're trying to do - but everything I have ever done on there has just worked.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2016, 07:33:24 pm »
Garmin Basecamp usually works. I often use it for splitting or cropping FIT files from my Forerunner. Though it may lose some of the fitness data, eg laps.

Or you could upload it to Strava, then crop the activity there. Then upload it again, then crop the other part. Note Strava won't let you upload duplicate activities, ie if they have the same start time. So for your first upload, you would need to crop off the first part of the activity.

SoreTween

« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2016, 07:41:07 pm »
https://www.fitfiletools.com/#/top

I have not done what you're trying to do - but everything I have ever done on there has just worked.
Almost!  The section delete works fine if I use it twice to produce two new files.  Trouble is Strava thinks they are duplicates, I can upload either one but not both.

I thought I had a way round that, I've downloaded the ANT SDK which includes a java .fit to .csv (and vice versa) converter.  As a csv I can see both activities have the same serial number so I incremented it in the second file.  That plan fails because the .csv -> .fit function in the SDK tool is borked.  Even if I convert .fit to .csv and then try to convert back without changing anything it fails.

Garmin basecamp falls way way outside my acceptable privacy policy limits.  I'm still using Training Center.

SoreTween

« Reply #4 on: 21 May, 2016, 09:31:51 pm »
Ok, I'm slightly a dumbass.  I had forgotten that Training Center can export a .tcx and that I had made the two parts of my ride separate laps.  A .tcx file is just xml and having the two laps makes it easy to find the point to split the file.  The process became (and this is likely a note to self):
  • Export the ride to .tcx from Training Center
  • change file extension to .xml
  • open in ultraedit (another program that used to be good and has become pretty darned shit due to feature bloat)
  • delete lap 2 (a PITA as UE cannot handle long files any more)
  • save as... and close
  • open original .xml
  • delete first lap
  • copy lap2 start time to activity start time (also the activity ID)
  • upload both to strava
  • refresh glass of grape juice and enjoy

I'll have to try this again with an activity that contains HRM & cadence data.  Last year I managed to split a file using an online tool I've forgotten but it stripped out everything except the route.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 22 May, 2016, 01:03:05 am »
Garmin basecamp falls way way outside my acceptable privacy policy limits.
Whay? What's wrong with it?
You can disable sending analytics when you install it. None of your personal data is sent to Garmin, unless you choose to upload it.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6 on: 22 May, 2016, 06:05:05 am »
Try Viking, it did the job for me, earlier this year. Sorry I am not at a computer right now otherwise I would post the link!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

SoreTween

« Reply #7 on: 22 May, 2016, 08:06:21 am »
Whay? What's wrong with it?
You can disable sending analytics when you install it. None of your personal data is sent to Garmin, unless you choose to upload it.
Time to have another look at that then, and viking (found it ta).