Author Topic: Di2 Firmware update  (Read 1703 times)

Di2 Firmware update
« on: 04 November, 2018, 01:03:39 pm »
I have a love hate relationship with Di2. When it works, it's glorious. When it doesn't, it's useless.

My cross/winter bike has Ultegra R8070 on it. Every time I go to use it, the battery is dead no matter the level of previous charge. I fixed this on a previous bike (where the wireless connection stayed open) by updating the firmware on the d-fly wireless unit. Problem is, that was a year back and I can't remember how I did it.

You can't update the d-fly unit via the PC-cable connection like you can with all other Di2 components; it has to be done via mobile app. My mobile (LG G4) will not connect to the bike. It sees the bike name, but 'clicking' on the name in the app does nothing. Even if it did connect, 50% of reviews of the d-fly app say that it bricks the bike.

Any thoughts on how to update the D-fly unit?

Re: Di2 Firmware update
« Reply #1 on: 04 November, 2018, 01:38:28 pm »
After failing to update the firmware using iOS 11 I managed to do it successfully using a phone running iOS 10. Given we’re now on iOS 12 and Apple don’t let you downgrade it may be a bugger finding such a phone - mine was an insurance replacement that had been sitting in a warehouse a while.

Bricking a bike is probably less of a risk with a stand-alone D Fly. I have the SC-M8050 which a combination A junction / Bluetooth device. If you brick that you no longer have an A Junction and the bike doesn’t work at all. I don’t think a bricked D Fly will kill the whole bike.

« Reply #2 on: 04 November, 2018, 07:09:06 pm »
Don't tell Brucey about this thread!

« Reply #3 on: 04 November, 2018, 07:59:16 pm »
Calling the Geek, geekish stuffs needed😁
Mr. Bowden will be rolling around laughing in his grave; probably elbowing Mr. Edison in the ribs, saying "I told you so).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 04 November, 2018, 09:10:45 pm »
To be fair, this isn't about the technology, it's about Shimano doing the electronic equivalent of needing a Bowden cable with proprietary nipples at both ends that's only available in two lengths.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5 on: 04 November, 2018, 10:35:53 pm »
Take it to a Shimano Service Centre - they will have the full diagnostic software on a PC, which can do the stuff the phone app can’t.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #6 on: 05 November, 2018, 12:57:05 pm »
Hmm, I'll have to see if I can connect now, I have both iPad and iPhone on IOS12, and a new Di2 setup to install on the Domane build. I've used the iPad to update firmware before, and only used the iPhone for minor stuffs on the road. Still, I'm in luck, a quick google shows a Shimano service centre only 3 miles away, should I need one!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #7 on: 05 November, 2018, 02:38:11 pm »
Hmm, I'll have to see if I can connect now, I have both iPad and iPhone on IOS12, and a new Di2 setup to install on the Domane build. I've used the iPad to update firmware before, and only used the iPhone for minor stuffs on the road. Still, I'm in luck, a quick google shows a Shimano service centre only 3 miles away, should I need one!

I am not sure why you are unable to update the firmware, it works on a Windows PC doesn't it? If you have one laying around (or can borrow one) then that might be worth a try.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #8 on: 05 November, 2018, 05:30:49 pm »
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. It looks like I might have to take it to a service centre whist repeatedly swearing at the ineptitude of Shimano.

« Reply #9 on: 06 November, 2018, 09:27:18 am »

I am not sure why you are unable to update the firmware, it works on a Windows PC doesn't it? If you have one laying around (or can borrow one) then that might be worth a try.

You're right of course, for some reason I'd forgotten that I can connect via the battery charger (or thought that you had to have the expensive interface boxes to connect with a PC)  ::-).  Although I never have so far, despite having a win PC in the bike cave!.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)