Author Topic: Why do they do that  (Read 1675 times)

Why do they do that
« on: 04 October, 2018, 08:51:20 pm »
Classical singers doing "poplular music"

On radio 3 I just listened to Sir Thomas Allen singing Vaughen Williams Songs of Travel - excellent.
Then they had to play him singing "One for my baby (and one more for the road), technically superb, he hits every note and was in time but it was bloody awful.
It's always the same when classical singers do popular music I don't know why they bother, you never heard Frank Sinatra doing Mahler's Kinder Toten Lieder.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Re: Why do they do that
« Reply #1 on: 05 October, 2018, 12:52:15 am »
But you did hear him doing Schubert's Ave Maria....... do not listen immediately after Pavarotti!

Certainly agree with your general sentiment.  It seemsto be almost impossible to "untrain" a "trained" voice.

« Reply #2 on: 05 October, 2018, 01:12:08 am »
Again, agree with your general sentiment. Kiri Te Kenawa and others did a take on West Side Story, that was - for me - unlistenable.

But coming at it from the other side there’s this, which I think is rather lovely: http://youtu.be/wxqwq9BnjT0

« Reply #3 on: 05 October, 2018, 01:56:27 pm »
it's no worse than eg Rod stewart doing the 'American Songbook'. It's about broadening appeal across a wider demographic. Or 'bums on seats'

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 05 October, 2018, 02:58:38 pm »
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5 on: 05 October, 2018, 03:34:03 pm »
it's no worse than eg Rod stewart doing the 'American Songbook'. It's about broadening appeal across a wider demographic. Or 'bums on seats'

I don't think this is the same thing as Pat was talking about.  Rod Stewart and others, such as Robbie Williams singing songs from other eras, but broadly popular songs that appeal to a huge spectrum of radio listeners is very different from classically-trained voices trying to sing the same repertoire.  I don't know how many people would prefer to hear Placido Domingo sing Annie's Song rather than John Denver but I doubt if it's a huge number.  It's probably classical fans of the particular voice buying more of their favourite's output - and there's nothing wrong with that - but I doubt if it is broadening the appeal of the singer.   Just my opinion, obviously.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 05 October, 2018, 03:42:44 pm »
I'd place under the broad category of easy listening. It's "soft classical" just like Annie's Song* is "soft pop" and any number of "soft rock" songs and ballads.

*I didn't know Domingo had sung this too, but I remember it being done by James Galway "the man with the golden flute" back in the 70s. He was surely a master of this stuff. If he were around now he'd be a hit on Classic FM.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #7 on: 05 October, 2018, 04:49:12 pm »
He aten't dead yet!
Still performing.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #8 on: 05 October, 2018, 08:51:47 pm »
Oh heck I just found the exception that proves the rule!

Anne Sofie Von Otter - Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder) - Beach Boys (Brain Wilson) arrangement Elvis Costello

https://youtu.be/KgLZ8bboTLo

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9 on: 06 October, 2018, 02:34:22 am »
I think the answer may be "for tax reasons".  I can't think of any other explanation for His Bobness' new-found penchant for croaking his way through "The Great American Songbook" (sic).
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime