Author Topic: Mystery Bike - Help Required  (Read 4994 times)

Mystery Bike - Help Required
« on: 06 August, 2021, 03:44:46 pm »
Having lurked on the forum for years I thought it was time to tap the collective knowledge, seeing as I have not felt I have much to add.

I purchased a bike back in 2011 with a view to taking part in the occasional Audax and then End to End, which I rode in 2012. The bike I used was a second hand buy from the CTC Forum and is painted up as a Condor, at the time the seller said he didn't believe it was, so there was no dishonesty there.

After End to End the bike sat in the garage for some years and I recently fished it out with a view to getting out on it occasionally. It's at this point I thought it would be a good time to actually work out more about it, specifically what make it actually is.

There are stamps on the rear dropouts that say "Allez". Simple then, it's a Specialized Allez, but more research shows this is unlikely. Having been down the rabbit hole a bit there was some evidence it could be Holdsworth. But then the frame has 3290 stamped under the BB so it looks unlikely based on the frame numbering I have found online.

At this point, I have drawn a blank. I cannot find any other obvious markings on the frame to give any particular clues and it may be a mystery that cannot be solved, but I have dropped some pictures here (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1MOZo3GdcZH8fELZtwOxHUj1dj8FX3Tsx?usp=sharing) in case the "Allez" clue or the frame numbers might trigger something with someone.

Re: Mystery Bike - Help Required
« Reply #1 on: 06 August, 2021, 03:46:53 pm »
goggle drive requires a sign in.  I do not possess one.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #2 on: 06 August, 2021, 03:53:39 pm »
I’m signed in but it says I need permission as well

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 06 August, 2021, 04:01:40 pm »
Ditto, or should that be tritto?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4 on: 06 August, 2021, 04:20:36 pm »

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5 on: 06 August, 2021, 04:24:47 pm »
Yup. That works.  But sorry, can't help.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 06 August, 2021, 04:44:30 pm »
Maybe contact Condor? It might not actually be a Condor, but that would at least rule one possibility out.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #7 on: 06 August, 2021, 04:50:08 pm »
Thanks. Will give Condor a try and see what they say but looking at most of their retro frames, they appear to have Condor stamped on them somewhere.

« Reply #8 on: 06 August, 2021, 04:59:47 pm »
Have compared the bike to the sections here: https://www.condorcycles.com/pages/condor-vintage-frames-and-bicycles

Top eye matches - but nothing etched in
Brake bridge detail - no C etched in
Italian lug design

Have emailed Condor with Frame number and reference to Allez (plus link to pictures) so will see what they come back with.

Nick H.

« Reply #9 on: 06 August, 2021, 07:10:28 pm »
Dave Yates would know. He would definitely have come across the dropout. And he built a lot of older Condors. He might even have built this one. The 'Allez' may denote a French dropout manufacturer, e.g. Huret or Simplex. Dave has a thread for asking him such things https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=48975.0  If you post there I suggest sending him a PM to alert him.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #10 on: 07 August, 2021, 06:39:18 am »
Allez-marked dropouts were used by Holdsworth in the 80s, but also by Falcon and probably others in that group. It’s not a Spesh frame (3rensho). It does look like a decent frame, though.

« Reply #11 on: 07 August, 2021, 10:19:27 am »
Mystery solved, thank you Porkins for highlighting the thread

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=48975.450

« Reply #12 on: 07 August, 2021, 01:29:17 pm »
As a Sherlock Holmes fan, I'd just like to say this is one of the most satisfactory threads I've seen on this forum.  Well done to all concerned!

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #13 on: 07 August, 2021, 08:01:24 pm »
Indeed.

Now, can we have a similarly successful “Has anyone seen my keys?” thread, or a “How can I make it better?” thread?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Nick H.

« Reply #14 on: 09 August, 2021, 05:08:25 pm »
With any mystery steel frame, the first question to ask is "did Dave make it".