Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 471300 times)

Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #2475 on: 12 December, 2018, 01:00:06 pm »
It's a magazine of stuff that might be interesting to AUK members. Doesn't even have to be about cycling.

I don't know why you're wishing for it to be duller.

« Reply #2476 on: 12 December, 2018, 01:00:42 pm »

Also probably over-representative if the number of women I see on audaxes is anything to go by.

With a bit of luck we'll have close to a 50:50 split on LWL next May. 

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2477 on: 12 December, 2018, 01:24:18 pm »
I make that 15. If it's this century, that's 18 years, 4 per year. 15/72. or 20.8%.

Which, to be fair, is a darn sight more than the mainstream cycling press.

Also probably over-representative if the number of women I see on audaxes is anything to go by.

It also needs to be adjusted for FF's discounted group shots.

« Reply #2478 on: 12 December, 2018, 01:39:31 pm »
If Arrivee covers over-represent anything, it's climbing. That's inevitable given the difficulty of taking a decent portrait shot of riding on the flat. It's also the reason why recumbents don't make the cover.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2479 on: 12 December, 2018, 02:06:32 pm »
If Arrivee covers over-represent anything, it's climbing. That's inevitable given the difficulty of taking a decent portrait shot of riding on the flat. It's also the reason why recumbents don't make the cover.

Laidback Cyclist seems to manage it (discounting the many shots of stationary cycles, which reflect an engineering focus Awoowoo doesn't have).  Of course, they over-represent bikes leaning into corners at speed, because *that's* where it's easy to get good photos at track races.

I'd assume the lack of good audax recumbent photos is more to do with them being relatively uncommon, and somewhat less likely to be in the main bunch (particularly at a climbing-based photo opportunity).

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2480 on: 12 December, 2018, 02:48:53 pm »
It's a magazine of stuff that might be interesting to AUK members. Doesn't even have to be about cycling.

AUK is a broad church - we need to cater for the very dull too!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2481 on: 12 December, 2018, 05:30:02 pm »

With a bit of luck we'll have close to a 50:50 split on LWL next May.

Congrats... I need to improve on my 15% for BRUM 200

« Reply #2482 on: 12 December, 2018, 06:10:35 pm »

AUK is a broad church - we need to cater for the very dull too!

In fact we're long overdue pull out and keep specials on the correct font sizes for printing the AUK regs and alternatives to the coding conventions of route sheets (but it is winter and there's time to write them...)

« Reply #2483 on: 14 December, 2018, 10:47:23 am »
What the chances of a having a regular Q&A section in Arrivee?  Qs in from members, answers from a panel of experienced audaxers.

And, would be nice to have a route map graphic inset for the ride articles...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2484 on: 14 December, 2018, 10:56:36 am »
What the chances of a having a regular Q&A section in Arrivee?  Qs in from members, answers from a panel of experienced audaxers...

Forums are much better...

imagine the scenario... Mr A posts a question to the editor in October, so that he can have an answer in December, all being well. By then, he has probably browsed the web extensively and found the info he was looking for

I also suspect a lot of answers based on personal experience are just that... personal experience... is it transferrable? Sometimes, other times not

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2485 on: 14 December, 2018, 11:01:10 am »
Just ANY details of the actual facts/logistics of events would be handy in most cases! *

But of course it is more work for the editors  :-\

*Someone will no doubt tell me to Just Google It. But why have a printed article in the first place??
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2486 on: 14 December, 2018, 11:11:00 am »
What the chances of a having a regular Q&A section in Arrivee?  Qs in from members, answers from a panel of experienced audaxers...

Forums are much better...

imagine the scenario... Mr A posts a question to the editor in October, so that he can have an answer in December, all being well. By then, he has probably browsed the web extensively and found the info he was looking for

I also suspect a lot of answers based on personal experience are just that... personal experience... is it transferrable? Sometimes, other times not

In spite of the available online resources, I still think the Q&A in Cycle is a good peruse with Qs to lawyer, medic, tech expert, just thought an audax specific version would be good for Arrivee.  However I guess if it was going to be a useful, popular, regular inclusion it would have happened by now...  ;)

« Reply #2487 on: 14 December, 2018, 11:20:52 am »
Just ANY details of the actual facts/logistics of events would be handy in most cases! *

But of course it is more work for the editors  :-\

*Someone will no doubt tell me to Just Google It. But why have a printed article in the first place??

Yes. I guess members sending articles in could be encouraged to include a certain style map graphic/summary info, perhaps they already are.  Some of the images in arrivee are very large*, and could easily accomodate additional infographic insets.  Good to see a list of ridewithgps links in the Hummers article - this did make me wonder if this could also be encoded into a phone QR / matrix barcode.**

*some too large for the image resolution, as it happens.
**what? too much? 

« Reply #2488 on: 14 December, 2018, 01:59:08 pm »
Recent issues had an info box which summarised event details, but they’re oddly absent from the latest one.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #2489 on: 11 January, 2019, 10:27:30 am »
*BUMP*

Copy deadline for the next issue is next Friday, 18th January, if anyone would like to offer contributions, including photos. 

Worth emailing the editor, gedlennox@me.com, to let him know something is on the way.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #2490 on: 14 January, 2019, 01:57:25 pm »
I hope some of the ideas on this tread make it into print...

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #2491 on: 14 January, 2019, 08:50:31 pm »
I hope some of the ideas on this tread make it into print...

They will if some of the people suggesting them get writing....
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #2492 on: 12 March, 2019, 11:09:34 am »
Woo hoo! I've never been so excited, my fellow clubmate Kate got her New Border Raid 600km article published including 3 photos of yours truly! Anybody wishing to have their magazine signed by me please form an orderly queue at the Llanfair PG 400km  :P

Also a massive "well done" to Shaun Hargreaves for the results outlined in the fixed wheel section, super impressive!
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

www.milehousebarn.co.uk - Cycle Friendly B&B in Nantwich, Chehsire

« Reply #2493 on: 12 March, 2019, 11:16:31 am »
A very soggy Arrivée just arrivéed through my letter box :( I think I've found a disadvantage with having it delivered in paper envelopes.

It's currently drying out on a radiator. Once dry I'm intrigued by the presence of a bear on the front cover.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2494 on: 12 March, 2019, 12:40:15 pm »
I complained loudly about a succession of 'aspirational' cover shots featuring fit young women - the editorial response is a photo of a grumpy-looking bear  ;D  ;D
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #2495 on: 12 March, 2019, 12:59:18 pm »
I complained loudly about a succession of 'aspirational' cover shots featuring fit young women - the editorial response is a photo of a grumpy-looking bear  ;D  ;D

All it needs is a glass of whisky in its paw.  ;)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2496 on: 12 March, 2019, 01:31:30 pm »

;D ;D

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2497 on: 12 March, 2019, 02:49:02 pm »

All it needs is a glass of whisky in its paw.  ;)

There's whisky on page 43  :P
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2498 on: 12 March, 2019, 03:08:35 pm »
This is the first time I've not had an Awoowoo in about 10 years.

I guess I should do something with my lapsed membership.  :-[
It is simpler than it looks.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #2499 on: 12 March, 2019, 03:24:45 pm »
This is the first time I've not had an Awoowoo in about 10 years.

I guess I should do something with my lapsed membership.  :-[

Indeed, all returners welcome (and I do have a stash of Awoowoos ready for despatching to prodigal daughters and sons)