Author Topic: Why is the "funniest joke" of the Fringe always so lame?  (Read 1770 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Why is the "funniest joke" of the Fringe always so lame?
« on: 22 August, 2023, 03:55:56 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-66569215

This might be the worst yet.  Tim Vine won it for years with similar "dad jokes"  ???
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Re: Why is the "funniest joke" of the Fringe always so lame?
« Reply #1 on: 22 August, 2023, 04:39:39 pm »
That's worse than my:
'Tiger Woods. It's no place for a picnic.'

rogerzilla

« Reply #2 on: 22 August, 2023, 04:52:09 pm »
That's worse than my:
'Tiger Woods. It's no place for a picnic.'
;D

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #3 on: 22 August, 2023, 08:46:48 pm »
The construction of No.7 on that list has n[er]o redeeming features.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

rogerzilla

« Reply #4 on: 22 August, 2023, 08:51:15 pm »
No.9 would be quite good if I didn't know the history (it was the Cooperative Permanent).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 22 August, 2023, 08:53:57 pm »
Maybe the jokes are lame as Offence Must Be Avoided.
Broccoli was a problem not long ago.

cygnet

« Reply #6 on: 22 August, 2023, 08:58:24 pm »
Have you got florets too? (2019)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 22 August, 2023, 09:09:02 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #8 on: 22 August, 2023, 09:37:17 pm »
Because most wannabe young stand-ups are not half as funny as their parents think they are.  Try 6.30pm weekdays on radio 4 for proof.

ian

« Reply #9 on: 22 August, 2023, 10:03:41 pm »
Isn't the whining about the best joke in The Fringe actually part of The Fringe?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10 on: 22 August, 2023, 11:05:24 pm »
I like the inflation one.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #11 on: 23 August, 2023, 07:33:10 am »
No.9 would be quite good if I didn't know the history (it was the Cooperative Permanent).

Didn't NWBS swallow up Anglia Building Society? - and local to me in the 1970s, the Shernhall Methodist BS (I had my first mortgage with them)

citoyen

« Reply #12 on: 23 August, 2023, 08:15:19 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-66569215

This might be the worst yet.  Tim Vine won it for years with similar "dad jokes"  ???

I’ve read that the joke a) has been misquoted, and b) loses a lot from being taken out of the context of the routine of which it is a part. It’s the punchline to a much longer joke.

But the people who run this poll need to reduce these things to one-liners for some reason.

rogerzilla

« Reply #13 on: 23 August, 2023, 08:21:42 am »

Didn't NWBS swallow up Anglia Building Society? - and local to me in the 1970s, the Shernhall Methodist BS (I had my first mortgage with them)
About 150 antecedents by merger, but Nationwide as it now is started as the Cooperative Permanent.

The oldest is apparently the Ramsbury BS, only a few miles from Swindon - although that ended up as part of the Portman, which Nationwide merged with in 2007.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #14 on: 23 August, 2023, 08:40:36 am »
In answer tot he original question, it's the old adage that to be truly popular you have to be truly mediocre.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

citoyen

« Reply #15 on: 23 August, 2023, 10:14:33 am »
In answer tot he original question, it's the old adage that to be truly popular you have to be truly mediocre.

An unfair and lazy assessment of this year's winner, based on a limited and inaccurate representation of her act.

« Reply #16 on: 23 August, 2023, 10:20:25 am »

I’ve read that the joke a) has been misquoted, and b) loses a lot from being taken out of the context of the routine of which it is a part. It’s the punchline to a much longer joke.

But the people who run this poll need to reduce these things to one-liners for some reason.

I thought critics sent the jokes to Dave who form a shortlist and put it out to a vote, so unless the shortlist included the full context 'joke' and it wasn't misquoted by them I still don't understand why that particular one was deemed the the best by those who voted. I know it's all subjective but that one doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Of course, most of the stand-ups at Edinburgh (and elsewhere) don't tell 'jokes' anyway, and you'd have to be exceptional (eg Tim Vine, Gary Delaney, Milton Jones) to get away with a set primarily consisting of one-liners.

citoyen

« Reply #17 on: 23 August, 2023, 10:29:19 am »
I thought critics sent the jokes to Dave who form a shortlist and put it out to a vote, so unless the shortlist included the full context 'joke' and it wasn't misquoted by them I still don't understand why that particular one was deemed the the best by those who voted. I know it's all subjective but that one doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Yes, it is a bit of a mystery.

My best guess is that the shortlist given to voters includes the full context of the joke but only the one-line versions are included in the press release that's sent out to journalists.

Of course, most of the stand-ups at Edinburgh (and elsewhere) don't tell 'jokes' anyway

Indeed.

Not to mention that there are other factors determining a joke's humour value too, such as where the joke is placed in the routine as a whole and the delivery.

These reductive lists are actually counter-productive because they only ever lead to the type of lazy reactions evident in this thread.  ::-)

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #18 on: 23 August, 2023, 11:35:25 am »
Because most wannabe young stand-ups are not half as funny as their parents think they are.  Try 6.30pm weekdays on radio 4 for proof.

It's not the 6.30pm slot that bothers me - I'm usually making dinner - it's the 2245 to 2330 (or even as far as 0000) slot that I can't stand any more.  Shite books, unfunny people shouting ('cos shouting louder is funnier, yes?), drivel about ghost stories and the supernatural, unfunny politicians shouting at each other.

The problem with recycling podcasts is that there used to be an editorial process, whereas now they seem to just buy them in fully (badly) formed.  R4 is quickly becoming so irrelevant that nobody will now complain when they bin it.  Perhaps that's the point.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #19 on: 23 August, 2023, 11:50:25 am »

It's not the 6.30pm slot that bothers me - I'm usually making dinner - it's the 2245 to 2330 (or even as far as 0000) slot that I can't stand any more.  Shite books, unfunny people shouting ('cos shouting louder is funnier, yes?), drivel about ghost stories and the supernatural, unfunny politicians shouting at each other.

This. Yes absolutely this.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #20 on: 23 August, 2023, 02:46:01 pm »
I've stopped listening to Radio 4, having always had it on in the background since I was a teenager.  Over the last decade there has been a marked drift to the right editorially, and now the chaff/wheat ratio is too high for me to be bothered having it on.  If there are particular programmes I want listen to I'll download them... but those are few and far between these days.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #21 on: 23 August, 2023, 02:50:31 pm »

« Reply #22 on: 08 September, 2023, 03:29:59 pm »
I've stopped listening to Radio 4, having always had it on in the background since I was a teenager.  Over the last decade there has been a marked drift to the right editorially, and now the chaff/wheat ratio is too high for me to be bothered having it on.  If there are particular programmes I want listen to I'll download them... but those are few and far between these days.

I just listen to the podcasts on BBC sounds. Newscast, Americast, Ukraincast and most things with Marianna Spring.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #23 on: 08 September, 2023, 04:00:52 pm »
The panel is Hitchcock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu5g86nhWK4
I've recently been listening to past episodes of ISIHAC on Youtube.
Just been delighted with this trio of Uxbridge English Dictionary gems from TB-T:
Perspire; how a cathedral builder gets paid.
Perverse; how a poet gets paid.
Perpetuate; how a chef in a Korean restaurant gets paid.

cygnet

« Reply #24 on: 20 September, 2023, 09:38:01 pm »
A little bit of context, from 17m in. Abbreviated? Probably.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001ptgz