Author Topic: One big route...?  (Read 990 times)

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
One big route...?
« on: 17 June, 2013, 05:48:46 pm »
In the planning stages of routing a 600 km audax onto my Garmin Edge 800.

Never tried this idea before so I'll dip my toe in the water here.  Can I use a huge route like that and start stop the timer many times in between and will it then still direct me if I 'begin' half way around.  IYSWIM

For example I'd like to stop the timer and reset approximately 2-3 times during the ride in order to avoid the 350-400km crash the Edge 800 is notorious for.  But I don't want to get off track either...
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: One big route...?
« Reply #1 on: 17 June, 2013, 05:58:09 pm »
You want to break it down into smaller sections - I usually use around 150km sections.

When you stop your Garmin recording (and reset it) at 350km, it will stop the course it is following as well.  You will then need it to recalculate everything - this can take a long time if you are 350km into a 600km ride, and presumably use up lots of battery life as it computes what it is doing.

Obviously try and tie these sections with your controls, so you reach a control and set up the next stage whilst you are resting etc.

I might ride a 200km as a whole route, but probably not even a 300.  It also has benefits if you've gone off route and need to recalc things anyway.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
Re: One big route...?
« Reply #2 on: 17 June, 2013, 06:05:35 pm »
Yeah fair enough, that's what I do too, I was just maybe thinking of trying something different.  Ok bin that idea then  :thumbsup:
It's a reverse Elvis thing.