Author Topic: Wessex SR 2013 - 6th April - 8th June 2013  (Read 72594 times)

Re: Wessex SR 2013 - 6th April - 8th June 2013
« Reply #400 on: 09 June, 2013, 07:47:19 pm »
I have the badge.

Blimey you have to work for it.

What a wonderful series.

The Brimstone was a corker, very challenging climbing (the road to Drew's at 2am with 380k in your legs will stay in my memory for a long time (not least because I fell off going uphill))

Looks like everyone will make it. Certainly everyone got through Drew's at 400km. Hummers has embraced his inner hipster and is sporting a single speed Hummercian due to a snapped rear mech. Sure he will finish though.

I will write more later. But truly this has been a magnificent series. Shawn has looked after us so well with his team of volunteers who have given up their valuable time. It is all most appreciated.   The hills, however, were not always appreciated (most of the time though!).
Many, many congratulations  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Was getting a tad worried  :'( as nothing had been posted since Abbots Ann (or wherever it is nowadays  ;)) Good to hear all is going well - Hummers will have needed a handicap  :hand: to slow him down  ;D
Behold the turtle - he only makes progress if he sticks his neck out.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #401 on: 10 June, 2013, 12:04:23 am »
A very fine weekend indeed  8)

Many thanks to all those who have helped in the running the series and especially to Mr Shaw for not just re-running the events but giving them an unforgettable twist - as this was certainly the case with the Brimstone.

A brilliant ride with a mixture of familiar and new faces to the events as well  :thumbsup:

Cracking.

H

Chuffy

• Found a newt on LEL
« Reply #402 on: 10 June, 2013, 02:34:27 am »
Spotted a handful of Brimstoners taking their ease at Nunney Catch services. Recognised a few faces, but not names and decided that introducing myself to a Brimstoned audaxer with a thousand yard stare would be futile. Well done to all who rode.

Loonies.  :o
Powered by Minions

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #403 on: 10 June, 2013, 07:41:01 am »
I take it from the above, that you made it around ok Hummers?

Good to hear it! I thought the hummercian looked rather good in single speed guise though.

Myself, having earlier than maybe I expected actually popped into my campsite on the way to arrivee (a small diversion) and collected my tent etc., so I could spend a small fortune on a train ticket to get me home and in my own bed by a very reasonable time. 

The legs feel like they've ridden a tough event - those sorts of hills (b*****d steep ones) really hurt.

Massive thanks to Paul Metcalfe and Tonyh for their excellent stamping duties at the first couple of controls and, of course, Drew for welcoming us into his home (at the top of the biggest steepest hill of the lot).

As soon as I heard the series was running as a calendar events, I knew I had to make it one of my main targets for 2013.  I had heard so much about the rides (mostly good!) and the opportunity to ride them with the added TLC of an event made them a must ride for the year. Shawn delivered a master class in how to put on rides. We were so well looked after and the routes themselves took us through some of the most beautiful countryside (via some of the ugliest hills!). I'd nominate it for the AUK best event of the year award for sure!

I know there are a few people that have got perm rides booked in to fill in any gaps in their series and I wish them well for finishing their series!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

WyOwyvern

• Trolling along on the crest . . . . . .
« Reply #404 on: 10 June, 2013, 08:15:35 am »
Just a note to put everyones mind at ease on the randonneur (14) Missing in Wessex: he assures me that he is fine and got home safe. Not a good week leading in followed by problems on the first leg and being pointed in the direction of home, and that was it.
So, very happy to report it wasn't him in the ambulance etc  :thumbsup:

Plodder

• More of a lurker than a poster!
« Reply #405 on: 10 June, 2013, 10:10:05 am »
The legs feel like they've ridden a tough event - those sorts of hills (b*****d steep ones) really hurt.

Massive thanks to Paul Metcalfe and Tonyh for their excellent stamping duties at the first couple of controls and, of course, Drew for welcoming us into his home (at the top of the biggest steepest hill of the lot).

As soon as I heard the series was running as a calendar events, I knew I had to make it one of my main targets for 2013.  I had heard so much about the rides (mostly good!) and the opportunity to ride them with the added TLC of an event made them a must ride for the year. Shawn delivered a master class in how to put on rides. We were so well looked after and the routes themselves took us through some of the most beautiful countryside (via some of the ugliest hills!). I'd nominate it for the AUK best event of the year award for sure!

I know there are a few people that have got perm rides booked in to fill in any gaps in their series and I wish them well for finishing their series!

Ditto!

Many thanks to Shawn for putting in the time and effort to delivery a splendid, thigh-burning, scenery-packed set of events, and to Peter for adding the equally challenging 200 giving us an SR series to remember. I imagine that this Wednesday's Portsmouth Night Ride to the Pub - with three new Wessex SR graduates and three others completing this ride - might be a tad slower than usual and the conversation focussed on just two subjects; the Brimstone  :thumbsup: and Hummers' bike maintenance programme or, at least, the creation of one  :hand:.

Thanks are due to Tony for not only controlling but meeting us on the road on Sunday with water, to Lee (in spite of his insulting use of animal stickers stolen from his daughter) for controlling at the Hawk Inn (which I though was a great control, quality food served quickly and which takes Audax dining to a new level!) and to Drew for his oh-so-welcome, open-house hospitality.

I hope Shawn's plans come to fruition. Roll on next year...
The Portsmouth Wednesday Night Pub Ride Group - "a drinking club with a cycling problem".

LEE

« Reply #406 on: 10 June, 2013, 10:46:11 am »
Thanks are due to Tony for not only controlling but meeting us on the road on Sunday with water, to Lee (in spite of his insulting use of animal stickers stolen from his daughter) for controlling at the Hawk Inn

..considered and appropriate use of....

Plodder

• More of a lurker than a poster!
« Reply #407 on: 10 June, 2013, 10:51:54 am »
Thanks are due to Tony for not only controlling but meeting us on the road on Sunday with water, to Lee (in spite of his insulting use of animal stickers stolen from his daughter) for controlling at the Hawk Inn

It took me hours to talk Chillmoister down!  ;)
The Portsmouth Wednesday Night Pub Ride Group - "a drinking club with a cycling problem".

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #408 on: 10 June, 2013, 11:10:21 am »
Spotted a handful of Brimstoners taking their ease at Nunney Catch services. Recognised a few faces, but not names and decided that introducing myself to a Brimstoned audaxer with a thousand yard stare would be futile. Well done to all who rode.

Loonies.  :o

If you had been there earlier you could have seen ME, and not had to do the introductory bit at all...

:)    :)    :)
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #409 on: 10 June, 2013, 11:14:55 am »

yes ...the lightest I've been for 20+ years and I still get the elephant ...it will not be forgotten Mr Hargreaves  ;)
appearing in a tea room near you

Hillbilly

« Reply #410 on: 10 June, 2013, 12:32:11 pm »
<Long again, but only a couple of more of these types of report to go...>

This was not the ride I anticipated.  In retrospect, hoping that this would be as rewarding as the Porkers was greed for perfection when instead I should have been a glutton for punishment.  This infernal ride was a descent into the hurt locker - that there are nine stages, which matches the number of rings in hell (per Dante's inferno) is surely no coincidence.

Shawn was our Virgil, leading us on our descent to the core of our cycling psyche.  There was no "abandon all hope, you who enter here" over the entrance to the Queen Mary Inn.  Instead a Wessex Super Randonneur banner was the welcome over the threshold, as I stepped into the Limbo of the breakfast chamber.  I arrived later than many, and the individually cooked breakfasts were slow in coming.  I hung around, patience tested, as others ferried away at the alloted time.  My own descent started at 06:25, last on the road, with a futile chase after the pack.  This pilgrim's progress was hindered by a frustrating north-easterly headwind as I pushed through market towns to and through the top edge of the New Forest.

I took advantage of the excellent menu at the first control (Hawk Inn?) to have a second breakfast; an atypical audax fayre of Eggs Royale washed down with strong black coffee.  Very tasty, even if self-imposed time pressure meant I didn't savour every bite.

As prayed for, we were blessed with a tailwind for much of the rest of the day, which was a boon on the flat stage over the plains around Salisbury.  Big gear engaged, I pressed on the pedals like a man possesed and made up a much of the time I needed for a reliable sleep buffer.  I began overtaking the tailend riders, which was joyous for me, although perhaps not so much for them. 

It was around this time that I began to feel like this ride was a bit familiar.  I have done many of the roads before on other events (no doubt they had been "inspired" by Sean's selection when the Wessex SR was dormant) and as a result began to doubt whether I was truly, madly, deeply enjoying the event.  I wasn't able to shake this unease throughout most of the ride, although this malaise is not unusual on the longer rides when the inner demons try to trap you in a slough of despond in order to be released from the punishment it is enduring.  My treacherous mind teased me with the impossible dream of the Porkers topped up with the Dorset Coast, and taunted that the Brimstone route was surely rather standard and unexceptional.  Post event, I know those inner demons were bare faced liers.

The route ran to Beaminster and then rolled onwards to the coast.  The roads into Exmouth were prophesised to be the hardest of not just the ride but the series, but having done much of them on several other events of a Hennessey and Loakes vintage I knew what to expect and paced myself accordingly.  Lyme Regis was new to me (or else I've blocked a painful memory) and came as a timely reminder not to be complacent when Mr Shaw has been cackling with malicious glee over his maps when conjuring up a hellish route.  Alas, despite hugging the coast, the sea views were obscured by overgrown hedges made lush by the late burgeoning spring, but the tantalising reveals of the sea in the sunshine, much like the dance of a skilled burlesque dancer, were stirring.

Having reached Exmouth thinking the worst was behind me, the next four stages were where Sean put the SmackDown.  The roads were a selection of punishing climbs and nervous descents.  Well, I say roads.  Some were strips of filth, sprayed with gravel, bordered with potholes and split with a grassy snatch that a Victorian whore would have been proud of.  Challenging, and exactly the type of roads I had originally expected from the Series but neither the Hardboiled or Porkers had delivered.  It meant progress at night was slow, particularly on the roads between Awlescombe and Taunton Deane.  I cursed my lot more than once, questioning why I put myself through such torture when I could have been at home watching the BGT final and stuffing my face with Pringles.  But at least I wasn't riding fixed, eh Henry?

In Taunton Deane, Hummers looked pissed off or shagged out (impossible to distinguish at this stage of proceedings) and Marcus snoozed in the subdued atmosphere (helped by the lights being turned down to a romantic level). The Costa coffee baristard was a misery, seemingly resentful having to serve customers whilst he chatted to his mate.  I drank tea and a tried to convert a tuna/cheese panini from disappointment to energy by the magic of chewing.  On preparing for the night stage, I realised my Carradice was buggered (not literally, the stitching had gone on the seatpost strap holder, so I had to attach the bag to the seatpost using the cable lock) and explained why it felt "swingy".  Brimstone 1 - Bike Attachments 0.

Then came the night stage to Cheddar.  This was less challenging (how could it not be?) and benefited from a long road to cruise along with no navigation, other than being awake enough for the left turn at the end (thank you inventor of the gps).  I was, however, hoping to find an AUK hostel (aka bus shelter) but it would appear Somerset doesn't do these.  I plodded on for 40km more than I originally planned,  which in retrospect was a good thing what with time being miles and vice versa, even if my futile search for a rest place cut my average speed.  I eventually discerned a bus shelter just before THAT climb at Cheddar.  I took advantage of it, spending two hours in its hard embrace, drifting in and out of conciousness as is the way of sleeping on a long event.

I checked out of the hostel in daylight as so, being able to see what was punishing my thighs and how long the torment would last, managed to grimp up THAT hill without stopping, even if the quads were complaining bitterly at a rude awakening.  I arrived at Tor Hole Bottom (with the silent N) where Drew's breakfast table was guarded by the living dead.  I had not thought Draycott had undone so many.  I felt guilty at feeling rather chipper, and was able to put away a quick hot breakfast cooked by the man himself, and found myself leaving Bag End with George Hannah, Hummers, Henry, Danielle and one other on our quest to destroy our ring pieces in the fires of Mount Doom.  But my legs were cold and they (the fellowship, not my legs) pulled off into the horizon.  My knees loosened up by spinning on the descents and I then had the usual shuffling on the road with that fellowship throughout the morning and late afternoon (albeit with Hummers, I suspect only because his hands were entangled in the entrails of his rear mech and chain at the side of the road soon before Chew Valley).

The stage to Malesbury and beyond was generally downward until Bath was in sight, but then got decidedly vertical.  The hills began again in earnest, magnified by the distance in the legs, with information controls being used to make sure one didn't go astray and miss those delightful (cough) climbs.  Between Bath and just after Shaftesbury the grimping was generally of the long and steep type.  Much sweat was lost in the increasing heat.  The descents were similarly inclined but, other than the drop at the other side of Shaftesbury, generally on better surfaces that those at night.  I was feeling worn down but strong enough on the hills, and made steady progress to Nunney Catch and the delights of a garage forecourt afternoon tea.

The last stage reminded me of why I did these events.  Not for the hills (of which there were one or two) but because the road that wound through the Tarrants had some of the ambience of the Porkers.  The angst of the previous 35 hours melted away in the burgeoning realisation that I was in the homeward straight when the road signs were lining up with the last dozen instructions on the route sheet.  Happiness flushed through my system like a heady narcotic and filled me with no small amount of ecstasy that the achievment of a Wessex SR was imminent.  This was sealed at the Queen Mary Inn, where Shawn exchanged my brevet card for a Wessex SR badge.  I shall wear that crest with pride, as it was hard won with blood, sweat and tears (well, sweat at least).  A cycling challenge that had been a real pleasure to stand toe-to-toe with and thrash into submission.

It goes without saying thanks to Shawn and his various helpers, all of whom seemed genuinely happy at supporting this legendary series (including Tony and Margaret who, on different rides, ventured out for some improptu support - little gestures like that is when the audax community shows itself to be a cut above the norm).  Also thanks to the various riders who I crossed paths with on the road, all of whom in their own way and to varying degrees added to my memory of this series.

Having passed through the hell of the Brimstone, can I look forward to the Purgatory of the Crackpot?

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #411 on: 10 June, 2013, 01:25:39 pm »
I take it from the above, that you made it around ok Hummers?

Good to hear it! I thought the hummercian looked rather good in single speed guise though.

Yes, an interesting development occurred just within a few miles of leaving Captain Buck's house on Sunday morning.  :-[

After climbing up something remarkably short (but steepish), I changed back onto the big ring and two things happened; a) the chain came off the chainset and b) the chain caught the rear wheel and wrapped the rear mech into the wheel to the point where I had to kick it out.  :facepalm:

I spent ages fiddling around to find out which gearing would actually stay in place (i.e. without a rear mech) with a view to the forthcoming attractions of the last three stages  :demon: This proved to be something of a challenge as the general flexing of the frame made the gear shift up of its own accord with the chain then being too tight  :hand: I think that the lowest point of the afternoon was when climbing out of Warleigh, the back wheel pulled free of the frame dumping me in the hedge with the wheel bidding for freedom back down the hill  :o

Incidentally, through trial and error (and mostly error), I found that the big ring (48t) and the 15 tooth rear cog seemed to allow to get up most hills without spinning like a loony to maintain a reasonable pace on the flat.

H

LEE

« Reply #412 on: 10 June, 2013, 02:02:36 pm »

yes ...the lightest I've been for 20+ years and I still get the elephant ...it will not be forgotten Mr Hargreaves  ;)

You see..the Elephant was appropriate after all.  Nothing is accidental about the sticker assessment.  I'm struggling to think of complimentary reasons for allocating some of the others though.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #413 on: 10 June, 2013, 02:20:23 pm »
I got an electric guitar, presumably cos of the 'Rock' hair.
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Hillbilly

« Reply #414 on: 10 June, 2013, 02:32:09 pm »
I got a pussy.

Don't worry, SFW.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Right! What's next?

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #416 on: 10 June, 2013, 04:35:37 pm »
And if the rumours about a possible running of The Crackpot are true, I am washing my hair that weekend ok?
Right! What's next?

« Reply #417 on: 10 June, 2013, 04:43:46 pm »
Well I got a dancing chicken.

Thanks for that Paul Metcalfe. And thankyou Mr O'Wyvern, Tony H and any other helpers for an unforgettable weekend's riding. After some breakfast faff and getting myself slightly lost leaving Poole, I soon relaxed into rolling through the mellow Dorset and Hampshire dales (dales?  ???). It was a pleasant surprise to find that the first 200km of this route are relatively flat and fast, so that's where you build up your time buffer for the rest of it.

As expected things then got slightly less mellow (gradient wise, not scenery wise - it was completely and utterly gorgeous  :thumbsup:). Hillbilly caught me up and was no doubt revelling in watching a pattern of me heading up a slope full of optimism, grinding to a halt when the tarmac twisted ever steeper, and walking the rest doing the kind of heavy breathing you used to have to pay £1 a minute to hear.

At Taunton Dene maps were consulted and being local to the Mendips, I was able to advise all in earshot of Ye Horror of Draycott. Quite a "special experience" on gears, so no way was I walking my fixie up the whole thing in the dark, might be druids lurking in the trees... So on the night leg to Tor Hole a hill-avoiders group formed of Simon (?OTP), Daniele, George Hanna and myself, to go up via Cheddar Gorge instead. The fearsomely strong Wessex veteran Robert was also with us, keeping the pace snappy, but he elected to peel off and do the Proper Hill instead of Cheddar. At Tor Hole (thankyou to Mr and Mrs Buck, what kindness) we all agreed on 1 hour's sleep and setting off together after. Felt a bit woozy getting going, but it was a great decision as we then had time a plenty for the last 200km. We rode all of Sunday together and for me this was absolutely key in getting round successfully, thanks for the excellent company chaps. Hillbilly was often nearby too, though somewhat quicker on the hills.

One particularly long, steep, narrow and gravelly descent (can't remember the location) sticks in the mind as a decent test of bike handling for tired randonneurs, I was glad of 28mm tyres and glad to see new-looking "byway" signs around there, meaning that those lanes can only get more charmingly rustic for future Brimstoners 8)

We bumped into Tony H riding the other way who gave me water just when I had run out in the heat of the day. Later I thought it might have been a vision, but as Plodder mentions meeting him too, it must have happened. I was tiring, maybe the similarly-excellent K&SW last weekend was catching up with me. But light relief was provided by the indefatigable George stopping at the top of hills and taking pictures of the rest of our group winching up, and Simon handing out nutrition in the form of an endless supply of wine gums. Note to self, carry more bonk rations.

As often seems to happen, everyone I was with found a fresh pair of legs for a 30km dash to the finish (ouch, it was fast). Handshakes, chatter and steak and chips at the end, and off on the train home. Seeing others getting the rather attractive Wessex SR badge at the end might have me searching the calendar to see if I can fit the other rides in as perms this season. And as Shawn let me buy a Wessex SR hat, how dare I wear it if I haven't done em all?

Good to meet other friendly folks and put some names to faces. It was just a privilege to be able to come and do this one!

« Reply #418 on: 10 June, 2013, 04:52:34 pm »
Relive my pain:

http://marcusjb.wordpress.com/2013/06/10/climbing-the-wall-to-reach-a-bed-the-brimstone-600-wessex-super-randonneur-2013/

Nice write up! And congratulations again.

there’s always a back way into service stations and Taunton is no exception with an entrance down a little lane

There's always two different roads to get there, but they can both be motorways. Thorne Services has no non-Motorway access road.

http://goo.gl/maps/BfEiU

You can't drive to those services without using either the M18 or M180. Bike access requires a side road and then a short walk across a field (or the horribly muddy Hugh Hill Lane and then a walk across a different field).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #419 on: 10 June, 2013, 06:08:25 pm »
what a great weekend of riding to conclude a marvellous Wessex SR adventure  :thumbsup:   The regular Pompey wednesday night pub rides will be full of wessex tales for weeks to come. I think a whole evening should be dedicated just to Hummers' mid ride single speed conversion ...some people just don't find these rides hard enough  ;).  Audax riding, for me, is only partly about the challenge of the course; at least half of the pleasure is the company and comaraderie in which it is shared and there could be non better than the folks I have ridden with during this series. chapeau to you all. 

So ...in brief here are my personal highlights of the Brimstone:

second breakfast at the Hawke Inn with one of the Faccombe Four - I possibly ate a continetal breakfast for 4 -oops!

the white knuckle descent in Beaminster ... dappled sun light hiding potholes to make life more interesting!

melting on the climbs out of Charmouth, Lyme and Sidmouth but soaking up the views from the top as we re-grouped

the bizarre experience of Taunton Deane Services

The badger that nearly had me off

THAT climb ..we all know the one ...ropes required next time!

sharing a double bed at Drew's with Postie ...and no rohipnol required  ;D

Hummers appearing shortly after Drew's with his new configuration ..I don't think the oil will ever come out of his hands!

hidden lanes near bath and shaftebury ..with stolen views and the smell of wild garlic

my legs hurting like hell (well it is the Brimstone) on the climb out of Compton Abbas but knowing it was the last one

the glorious run through the Tarrants in the evening sunshine with my wheelman Jon and the ride in the bag  :thumbsup:

beers in the garden at the Queen Mary with the Lanterne Rouge all safely gathered in and generally basking in the afterglow of the Wessex series completed

Thanks Shawn ...the whole series has been perfect.  :thumbsup:

appearing in a tea room near you

Hillbilly

« Reply #420 on: 10 June, 2013, 06:12:06 pm »
Or "Compton Abbas Tardofaclimb" to give it its full name.

Hillbilly

« Reply #421 on: 10 June, 2013, 06:26:59 pm »
I should add that on awaking from my peaceful slumber in the AUK hostel at the foot of THAT climb, I was amused to read

(click to show/hide)

scrawled on the roof, in what looked like excrement.  Hopefully it was there before I went to sleep...

(spoiler used so you get the same delightful surprise as I did)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #422 on: 10 June, 2013, 06:28:38 pm »
Roof or ceiling?

If on roof, to curl one out in legible words is now on my to do list. 

Well, I have finshed one of my main goals for 2013 now......
Right! What's next?

Hillbilly

« Reply #423 on: 10 June, 2013, 06:36:31 pm »
Roof or ceiling?

If on roof, to curl one out in legible words is now on my to do list. 

Well, I have finshed one of my main goals for 2013 now......

Ah, yes, ceilling.  And no, it wasn't like spray paint.  More like a dirty protest.

« Reply #424 on: 10 June, 2013, 06:37:00 pm »
A stencil and norovirus?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."