Author Topic: Confessions of a tool junkie  (Read 125902 times)

Re: Confessions of a tool junkie
« Reply #1025 on: 31 December, 2023, 11:27:07 am »
I normally find cycle multi tools very expensive or crap . But have been very impressed with the slim 11 tool from Spa cycle . Even the chain breaker works on eleven speed  . Very canny for 12.50  .  I obviously get no reward for this recommendation , I am open to offers thou .  ;D
Its More Fun With Three .

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1026 on: 31 December, 2023, 01:25:44 pm »
I normally find cycle multi tools very expensive or crap . But have been very impressed with the slim 11 tool from Spa cycle . Even the chain breaker works on eleven speed  . Very canny for 12.50  .  I obviously get no reward for this recommendation , I am open to offers thou .  ;D

I have a Topeak ratchet rocket. And it's been brilliant. In fact I now have two of them. Great kit. The chain breaker works great, the ratchet thingy is a joy to use. I highly recommend. It's not the lightest tool on the market. But as a usable tool it's far better than any other bike multi tool I've used.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1027 on: 31 December, 2023, 01:30:57 pm »
I have a couple of multitools, and while they're well-thought-out, I'm coming round to the couple-of-allen-keys-and-a-spanner way of thinking.  It seems that a significant minority of the time a multitool falls short on account of either being an awkward shape or lack of leverage.  To say nothing of partially-arsed chain tools that only work for breaking chains.  And sometimes what you really want is a decent set of pliers.

« Reply #1028 on: 31 December, 2023, 02:25:03 pm »
I used to always carry a mini park tool chain breaker / set of wera allen keys and a few exquisite  double sided  vessel screwdriver bits with handle  . But I got sick of hunting around on the road side for missing tools . I admit the torx driver is rubbish on the multi tool , but that's because the discs are  on the wrong side on my up wrong trike  Still won't replace my dog bone spanner for the old  trike conversion axel . Viva la difference .   
Its More Fun With Three .

« Reply #1029 on: 31 December, 2023, 03:56:35 pm »
I have a couple of multitools, and while they're well-thought-out, I'm coming round to the couple-of-allen-keys-and-a-spanner way of thinking.  It seems that a significant minority of the time a multitool falls short on account of either being an awkward shape or lack of leverage.  To say nothing of partially-arsed chain tools that only work for breaking chains.  And sometimes what you really want is a decent set of pliers.

Presently re-equipping myself with the most minimal bag capacity for UK day rides, I am trying to wean myself off the comfort of a full set of Wera Ball End Allen Keys, and an adjustable spanner, alongside my multi-tools, for my 1950s bike set up. It seemed sensible to take the full-size tools with me just after the refit, as every thread had been undone and replaced, but with 500km on the bike since its rebuild, the time is high to get tough with myself!
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1030 on: 31 December, 2023, 04:25:27 pm »
IMO&E multi-tools fall short of promise in at least five ways: they are an inconvenient shape and bulk; they lack leverage; the metal used is an alloy of fromagium; they don't have all the tools you need; they include several you will never need, which get in the way of the ones you do need.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1031 on: 01 January, 2024, 10:12:29 am »
On the flipside, during a PBP Audax some years ago, I mostly hovered at the back of the group, helping change flat tyres and pacing dropped folk back to the bunch. In the bunch, my trusty Topeak Alien multitool acquired the same sort of reputation as Doctor Who’s sonic screwdriver. Tightening loose nuts on a ‘50s Singer, snugging up loose disc Torx bolts or singlespeeding a carbon wonderbike, completed quickly and efficiently. Several of the problems couldn’t have been solved with a less comprehensive (and lighter) multitool.

The only unfixable problem was when a hydraulic brake hose was pulled out when a rider crashed. Luckily it was just a few kilometres from the arrivee and the rider still finished, just using one brake.

After the finish, some riders presented me with some flashy bubbly for saving their PBPs. I count that as a win.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1032 on: 01 January, 2024, 08:11:52 pm »
I bought my Young Lady an axe for Christmas. A pizza axe from Raven Forge.

Like this.

It's a proper bit of kit. 440 stainless steel on an ash handle. There are skanky knock offs on the bay of thieves. Don't give them house room
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #1033 on: 01 January, 2024, 08:23:45 pm »
I bought my Young Lady an axe for Christmas. A pizza axe from Raven Forge.

Like this.

It's a proper bit of kit. 440 stainless steel on an ash handle. There are skanky knock offs on the bay of thieves. Don't give them house room
Nice tool.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1034 on: 01 January, 2024, 08:28:27 pm »
Yes, a nice tool, and the right thing for the job.

I have a 2 foot long mezzaluna type thing, which you rock over the pizza.
I like this, because unlike a wheel, it does not push the toppings all over the place.

« Reply #1035 on: 01 January, 2024, 08:32:42 pm »
Yes, a nice tool, and the right thing for the job.

I have a 2 foot long mezzaluna type thing, which you rock over the pizza.
I like this, because unlike a wheel, it does not push the toppings all over the place.
I've  a short mezzaluna with parallel blades which is great for herbs and suchlike. It wouldn't really cut the mustard with a pizza thobut.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1036 on: 01 January, 2024, 08:42:47 pm »
Mustard onna pizza belongs in the “Food Crimes” thread…

External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1037 on: 01 January, 2024, 08:46:37 pm »

No.
Mustard on white grapes.
Both lovely individually.
You'd not believe how bad they are when they are combined.
Go on.....

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1038 on: 01 January, 2024, 08:48:12 pm »

From voiding warranties, to bike multi tools, to cutting pizza with axes in just over a dozen posts.

Yep. That's yacf...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #1039 on: 01 January, 2024, 08:49:24 pm »

From voiding warranties, to bike multi tools, to cutting pizza with axes in just over a dozen posts.

Yep. That's yacf...

J
Hold on to your seat...

« Reply #1040 on: 01 January, 2024, 08:51:07 pm »

Yep. That's yacf...

J
Hold on to your seat...

Any other VW group car will do

« Reply #1041 on: 01 January, 2024, 08:52:43 pm »

Yep. That's yacf...

J
Hold on to your seat...

Are you on the right forum?

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #1042 on: 01 January, 2024, 08:52:52 pm »
Surely no self-respecting pizza-consuming cyclist should be without one of these:

https://www.parktool.com/en-int/product/pizza-tool-pzt-2

(But then my daughter cuts pizza with a pair of scissors dedicated to the function)

« Reply #1043 on: 01 January, 2024, 08:53:56 pm »
Surely no self-respecting pizza-consuming cyclist should be without one of these:

(But then my daughter cuts pizza with a pair of scissors dedicated to the function)
I use scissors to cut pizza.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1044 on: 01 January, 2024, 08:57:09 pm »

I've got one.  The handlebars broke off in the washing-up >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #1045 on: 01 January, 2024, 08:59:29 pm »

No.
Mustard on white grapes.
Both lovely individually.
You'd not believe how bad they are when they are combined.
Go on.....
English or french?

« Reply #1046 on: 01 January, 2024, 09:02:09 pm »

Yep. That's yacf...

J
Hold on to your seat...

Are you on the right forum?

I believe Ham was riffing on the ownership of Sociedad Española de Automóviles de Turismo for the purposes of humour m'lud...  ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1047 on: 01 January, 2024, 09:09:48 pm »

I've got one.  The handlebars broke off in the washing-up >:(

Here's mine, plus a lightweight racing model I picked up at an exhibition.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1048 on: 01 January, 2024, 09:21:12 pm »
This is kind of thing I have, and recommend:

https://www.bakerybits.co.uk/pizza-cutter

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1049 on: 01 January, 2024, 09:22:57 pm »
I was told by a Glaswegian colleague that they just fold them in half, dip them in batter, and deep-fry them.  No slicing involved.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.