Off Topic > Arts and Entertainment

What was the last film you watched?

<< < (2084/2092) > >>

citoyen:

--- Quote from: ScumOfTheRoad on 13 March, 2024, 09:23:16 am ---Went to see Wicked Little Letters on Sunday. Fantstic film, which depends on good old fashined characters and acting, not BOOM special effects.

--- End quote ---

Saw it this afternoon. Very funny. Extraordinary swearing. Olivia Colman is superb.

ETA: afterwards, I read Peter Bradshaw's review. He hated it, which is hardly surprising because he hates everything. He does make some fair points about how it's essentially a glib treatment of what is in truth a desperately sad story but I still like it for what it is, which is an amusing way to pass a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon - there is perhaps potential for a very different film to be made of this story though.

citoyen:
Ended up making a second outing to the cinema yesterday to see Dune Pt2.

Enjoyed it but it fell into the Lord of the Rings/Marvel trap of essentially being two and a half hours of build-up to the EPIC BATTLE, and it really did drag in places eg Feyd Rautha's birthday party, which felt mostly irrelevant.*

Bizarrely, it also felt very rushed in places, with some scenes seemingly cut short and left unresolved (eg Paul's desert trial) as it suddenly jumps to the next plot episode. For all its flaws, the Lynch version is much more coherent and taut storytelling.

And it's extremely noisy - reminded me of Dunkirk, with the constant barrage of loud music. It's a lazy way to signify THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. It didn't cause me any problems following the dialogue that some have mentioned but it did feel very intrusive at times.

Also, the worm riding scenes left me with one very important unanswered question: how do you get down off a sandworm?**

* (click to show/hide)apart from the side plot with Lady Margot which seemed to be mostly about sowing the seeds (literally) for part 3 and beyond - fine, I get why that needed to be included, but it could have been done much more concisely without the ridiculous gladiator nonsense.
** (click to show/hide)You don't - you get down off a duck. BOOM! and indeed BOOM!

Another question: why do the Navigators not feature in this version of the story? Talking to my son after the film, he was saying he didn't get why spice was so important, which is a fair question - in the books (and the Lynch version) it's made clear that spice is essential to the Navigators, and therefore essential to interplanetary travel, so it seems like a pretty major omission.

Jakob:
"Anatomy of a Fall"
Really enjoyed this. Still not sure of the outcome, but that's ok.

T42:

--- Quote from: citoyen on 25 March, 2024, 10:07:27 am ---Another question: why do the Navigators not feature in this version of the story? Talking to my son after the film, he was saying he didn't get why spice was so important, which is a fair question - in the books (and the Lynch version) it's made clear that spice is essential to the Navigators, and therefore essential to interplanetary travel, so it seems like a pretty major omission.

--- End quote ---

Shades of 3 Body Problem, where 90% of the physics is knocked out because it'd bore the punters.  "Oh, they'll never notice."  Whereas physics and logic are 90% of the books.

I was once in a forum where one member had worked in set design for the film industry.  He once wrote that producers are ruthless with plot lines if a film is getting long enough to bore a given percentage of its audience: they'd simply cut out a chunk because they "know" that most people would simply blame themselves for losing the thread.  IIRC he was particularly miffed because one set he'd sweated blood over had completely disappeared that way.

Oh, I'll watch the rest of 3BP when it appears. I just hope the spaceships don't make a noise.

andyoxon:
Apparently the 'main' Paul & worm scene took 3 months to film.   :o

--- Quote from: citoyen on 25 March, 2024, 10:07:27 am ---...
Also, the worm riding scenes left me with one very important unanswered question: how do you get down off a sandworm?**

--- End quote ---

Apparently Fremen wait for worm to tire out then hop off.  Interesting how the hooks open air vents, so that sand irritates air ways & forces worm to stay on the surface...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version