Off Topic > Arts and Entertainment

What was the last film you watched?

<< < (480/2093) > >>

LEE:

--- Quote from: AndyK on 13 May, 2012, 08:07:50 am ---I wasn't over enamoured with 3D, the layers were obvious. It felt like I was watching an old child's toy theatre with the card-cutout actors.

--- End quote ---

Probably retro-fitted 3D.  Not all 3D films are shot with a stereoscopic camera.  "Alice in Wonderland" was, apparently, retro-fitted, with cardboard cut-out consequences.  There's almost no reason to do this as it never improved a film.

None of my favourite films would be any better in 3D, in fact most of my favourite films (maybe all of them) would be perfectly watchable in Black and White.  They may even be better as I've always felt that monochrome (film and photos) allows you to concentrate on the more important details.

Anything that distracts from the story and makes you aware that you are watching actors in a film, is surplus to my requirements.  Dustin Hoffman always makes me realise I'm watching an actor, pretending to be someone in a film whereas Kevin Spacey keeps me engaged in the magic of the story.

A clumsy 3D effect (usually a spear or hand thrust into your face) just breaks that magic.

I'm hoping that Diddly Squat uses 3D in Prometheus in order to convey some kind of majesty to his sets rather than having stuff leap from the screen. 

Avatar used 3D effectively but it was "shot" in 3D not retro-fitted.  In fact, without 3D, Avatar isn't worth the entrance fee, so it shows it can add to a film if it's designed in 3D from the start.

Steph:
Indeed. I remember when I first started to notice the old red-blue 3D films on TV as a kid. There would always be some flaming arrow or catapult fireball flying straight at the camera.

L CC:
Ice Princess, yesterday afternoon.

I need a job.

AndyK:

--- Quote from: LEE on 16 May, 2012, 01:01:42 pm ---
--- Quote from: AndyK on 13 May, 2012, 08:07:50 am ---I wasn't over enamoured with 3D, the layers were obvious. It felt like I was watching an old child's toy theatre with the card-cutout actors.

--- End quote ---

Probably retro-fitted 3D. 

--- End quote ---

Nope, this was Tron Legacy.

jogler:
Centurion

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version