Author Topic: Tour of North York Moors May 29th  (Read 1751 times)

graham57

Tour of North York Moors May 29th
« on: 24 April, 2011, 08:40:50 pm »
Would any of you like to accompany me or just ride this route on the bank Holiday Sunday 29th May when there are very few other rides.
I was to late to add it as a calendar event when I got around to organising things so officially it is a DIY but I will issue cards etc at start
i have been meaning to run this as a calendar event for some time but time etc. etc stopped this
I intend to start in Osmotherley N Yorks Sunday am and will give out cards etc and directions and someone will greet you back there in the evening otherwise no fixed controls.

You can down load route details from the web site http://www.pilgrimspets.co.uk/cycling/tourmoors.html
gpx and route at also at
 http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=222074

It is a hilly but beautiful route and I would welcome some company on my annual pilgrimage back to NE
Youth Hostel at start if you are early booking
PM or email me for more information.

Hope to see you next month

Graham

Re: Tour of North York Moors May 29th
« Reply #1 on: 24 April, 2011, 10:01:41 pm »
I rode the perm a year and a half ago (and still have a perm card for another try!).  It's a cracking route.

I'm planning to ride the Hot Trodd that WE - but if for whatever reason that falls through, I'll toddle down to Osmotherley for this.

« Reply #2 on: 05 May, 2011, 07:00:58 pm »
Hi - I'd be interested in this, assuming the weather is reasonable.  As you say, hilly but worth it for the scenery.

I'd be travelling down for the day - it's an easy drive for me down the A19.

Dave

Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #3 on: 05 May, 2011, 07:50:34 pm »
I am interested in this ride. Like Socks I would drive to the start on the day.(Only 20 miles or so from home)  I just need to sort out someone to take care of my dogs on the day. What time would you be likely to start on the day?

« Reply #4 on: 05 May, 2011, 08:21:29 pm »
Maybe, I already have a Perm card for it. Might stay over

« Reply #5 on: 08 May, 2011, 08:03:37 pm »
If you are thinking of staying at Osmotherly YHA check in advance as I believe it is subject to the YHA cull and may be closing.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6 on: 08 May, 2011, 09:08:54 pm »
I *might* be tempted, if I can get a pass out, if not the coffee house will be open :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #7 on: 18 May, 2011, 01:48:46 pm »
Another 'maybe'. Like Martin, I aready have a card.
I need to get permission from the missus, but I need to get out and do a tough ride for a change.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #8 on: 18 May, 2011, 04:51:14 pm »
I come from Hartlepool and spent many happy holidays in the area. I would be tempted as I could merge a vist to my parents with a bike ride, but I will be on the K&SW.

Some of the hills are short but very steep. Does it go up Rosedale Chimny

Maybe next year.  :)
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #9 on: 18 May, 2011, 04:58:07 pm »
I am pretty sure it misses that little beauty - thank goodness.
I rode up Rosedale Chimney last year as part of the Rydale Rumble Sportive.
Made it up there but had to weave up the really steep part at the end.
Doubt if I would make it up there now, as I have put on too much insulation over the winter!

« Reply #10 on: 18 May, 2011, 05:06:08 pm »
It misses out Rosedale - you can choose to go down it, as it's sort-of on the route.  The route between Helmsley and Castleton is Castleton Ridge (or Blakey Bank, if you prefer, as I did ;D).

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #11 on: 25 May, 2011, 12:32:35 pm »
Anyone still up for this???

« Reply #12 on: 26 May, 2011, 08:34:15 am »
Graham57 isn't riding this at the w/end. No one signed up in time. I am still keen to ride it but I have now changed my plans for this w/end.

I have asked Graham to send me a card and route sheet so I can ride the route at some date soon. I would start at Castleton as that is close to home but could make Gt Ayton the start point if anybody wants to join me and needs to arrive by train.

Next month will prove problematic as I have to get a 600 in and have other commitments at w/ends, so a weekday would be my first choice.

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #13 on: 26 May, 2011, 12:01:33 pm »
I would not mind doing this ride as a perm on a Sunday in August.
I will skip this weekend.