Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2468433 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #5375 on: 08 April, 2012, 10:07:02 am »
updated from the last page:

mudguards (giles bertoud - horrible to fit), tubus racks, spa brooks-a-like saddle (v. v. v. hard!) and 26 x 1.75 pasela tourguards

Took it for a pootle today, 20 miles quite quite slowly but I havent stopped smiling yet :D

That looks excellent  :thumbsup: 

I have just put some 26x1.75 Marathon Cross boots on my roadified Claud Butler MTB (the bike I rode at the Xmas do) as I want some tyres that are good for a mix of road and bridleway use.  Ideally I wanted something narrower so I'll be interested to see if 1.75 is a bit cumbersome and slow on the road.  How did you find your 1.75s?

« Reply #5376 on: 09 April, 2012, 08:59:06 pm »
My very upgraded Dawes Horizon, now running 27spd Deore Lx, not much of the bike is original but it is proving to be a great all rounder and has done just under 800miles since the 1st of Feb.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5377 on: 10 April, 2012, 07:41:46 am »
Gary Fisher 229 with the fork from a Surly Karate Monkey

Mostly Deore with SRAM 11-25 cassette, BB7s and centre lock discs, the frame uses the Fisher/Trek 'Disc-O' caliper mounting bracket for the rear. Butterfly bars and Schwalbe Hurricane 42mm tyres.

The trials and tribulations of this particular build are detailed in 'Freewheeling'

Looks good, add a rack and maybe guards and you are ready for France :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #5378 on: 10 April, 2012, 03:11:21 pm »

That looks excellent  :thumbsup: 

I have just put some 26x1.75 Marathon Cross boots on my roadified Claud Butler MTB (the bike I rode at the Xmas do) as I want some tyres that are good for a mix of road and bridleway use.  Ideally I wanted something narrower so I'll be interested to see if 1.75 is a bit cumbersome and slow on the road.  How did you find your 1.75s?

really, really, really comfy!!  Much better to ride than the very heavy city contacts which were on there before.  The sidewalls feel quite thin, so not sure how long they're going to last, but they're lovely to ride...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5379 on: 10 April, 2012, 03:14:55 pm »
^^^ That's encouraging.  I haven't ridden the Marathon Crosses yet as I am desperately trying to break in a new Brooks on my audax bike prior to a 300 the weekend after next.  I'm looking forward to trying them assuming 300k doesn't kill me.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #5380 on: 14 April, 2012, 05:36:00 pm »
Moved all the components from my Langster that was always to big, to a smaller Langster frame.

New Langster Frame by hulver_uk, on Flickr

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #5381 on: 14 April, 2012, 08:12:02 pm »
Bought the frame in November last year (after the last one broke) and finally got round to building it up now -

Look 566 by NeilF1, on Flickr

It's a  Look 566 with Chorus groupset and Zipp 303 wheels. Only the Brooks Team Pro gives away the fact that I'm an audaxer.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #5382 on: 15 April, 2012, 04:26:39 pm »
Hubba.

Hubba.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

finch

• Hair today gone tomorrow
    • Comicpictures
« Reply #5383 on: 15 April, 2012, 05:36:59 pm »
 Nice look  8)

« Reply #5384 on: 15 April, 2012, 08:31:00 pm »
My Roberts, after its re-spray and new forks from Argos:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5385 on: 15 April, 2012, 09:51:34 pm »
Classy.
Getting there...

« Reply #5386 on: 15 April, 2012, 09:58:45 pm »

Very nice bike, however:

SKS mudguards fitted without proper use of captive end caps
Tyre labels not aligned with valves
Bike photographed with drive side crank not set vertically downward
Rear derailleur cable too short
Front mech approx 1mm too high
Lawn rather patchy

;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5387 on: 16 April, 2012, 08:58:06 am »
Is this the world's most expensive laundry drying rack?

Getting there...

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #5388 on: 16 April, 2012, 09:19:54 am »

Hubba x3
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #5389 on: 17 April, 2012, 02:24:05 pm »

Yet again very overloaded, brought home half a panniers worth of stuff I didn't need. One day the screws at the bottom of the rack will just give up in the middle of nowhere.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5390 on: 17 April, 2012, 02:25:47 pm »
Yet again very overloaded ... One day the screws at the bottom of the rack will just give up in the middle of nowhere.

This bothers me as well.  I'm not sure what the answer is.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5391 on: 17 April, 2012, 02:30:24 pm »
It certainly looks purposeful and well-used.

Could the answer be a front rack? Or a trailer? Or self-restraint in packing and purchasing? I don't know!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5392 on: 17 April, 2012, 02:36:21 pm »
It certainly looks purposeful and well-used.

Could the answer be a front rack? Or a trailer? Or self-restraint in packing and purchasing? I don't know!

I think the issue is that a lot of weight is loaded onto two 5mm allen screws.  If one shears it is likely to remain in the threaded hole and it won't be easy to extract, particularly at the roadside  :hand:  Most frames don't offer alternative holes that can be used if the proper one is bunged up. 

I suppose something like this which sits on the rear axle would be stronger.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5393 on: 17 April, 2012, 02:40:54 pm »
But that still has bolts at the bottom, between the two parts, that could fail. Although as there are four of them the load is halved.  :thumbsup: It's a bit pricey though! And the maximum load is quoted as 40lb, which is about the same as most racks mounted on eyelets (and I'd guess a good deal less than bloomers has in his photo!)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5394 on: 17 April, 2012, 02:46:59 pm »
Yet again very overloaded ... One day the screws at the bottom of the rack will just give up in the middle of nowhere.
This bothers me as well.  I'm not sure what the answer is.
Drill out holes and tap relevant ones with M6 (or M7 if there's enough meat).
Rust never sleeps

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #5395 on: 17 April, 2012, 09:34:35 pm »
We were discussing this over a pint last night, in my mind I was imagining maybe some sort of foot that could sit somewhere on the chain stay sharing the weight with the screws.

The load looks worse than it is; on top is a sleeping bag, a picnic mat (v light), bivvy bag, tent and my bum bag clipped on.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5396 on: 17 April, 2012, 09:40:10 pm »
Front rack, certainly.  Uprights are awful on hills with that much weight on the back.

Emergency P-clip(s) in the tool kit, along with the spare M5 and cleat bolts?

To date, the only failure I've suffered was a bolt working its way loose (suspect I'd partially stripped the threads, and off-roading with a camping load finished the remainder off) and vanishing.  I botched it in the field with a cable-tie, and replaced it with a longer bolt and nut (it was, thankfully, non-drive side) when I got home.

If the rack's properly secured at the top, it doesn't actually wobble about that badly with one bolt missing.

« Reply #5397 on: 17 April, 2012, 09:49:56 pm »
I've ridden with at least that much weight and it got home just fine. Spreading the weight between 4 panniers, or just not taking that much in the first place seem the most sensible answers. I rode home the 100 miles from Portsmouth after the last Sem Fed with >60kg in my rear panniers over the Mendips, and I survived. Had a bit of a sense of humour failure in the headwind thobut!

« Reply #5398 on: 17 April, 2012, 09:51:18 pm »
A reasonable grade of M5 screw will take over 1 tonne in shear - just make sure that they are tight.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5399 on: 17 April, 2012, 09:54:17 pm »
The other advantage to four panniers is that if something does go wrong, you can redistribute the weight to reduce the stress on the b0rked park.  Applies to things like wheels as much as racks.