Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2468819 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #1675 on: 28 June, 2009, 05:32:10 pm »
I present you Theia

You say Theia.  Enigma says Thelma.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #1676 on: 28 June, 2009, 05:43:47 pm »
Thanks for the compliments everyone. I'm really pleased with the result, too. I agree with Paul about the stem. I tried and tried to get a new silver stem somewhere close to the length I need, but without success. The one I used was a NOS 3T Status model from Ebay - a bargain at only £6. Slightly short for me at 120mm, but quite nice. It's a bit more gun-metal coloured than the silver I'd hoped for, but I'm still keeping an eye out.

I have one of those stems, and it's a nice match for a Titanium seatpost  ;)

Careful with that little plastic cover though, they crack easily if you overtighten the screw that holds it in.

« Reply #1677 on: 28 June, 2009, 05:47:13 pm »
I have one of those stems, and it's a nice match for a Titanium seatpost  ;)

Careful with that little plastic cover though, they crack easily if you overtighten the screw that holds it in.

And just when I finally managed to find a polished silver alloy seatpost! That was an effort in itself  ;)

I know what you mean about the cover. Mine already has a blob of super-glue on the underside. I don't think I overtightened it - just the product of a very old and very delicate piece of plastic. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it  ;D

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #1678 on: 28 June, 2009, 06:18:49 pm »
Thanks for the compliments everyone. I'm really pleased with the result, too. I agree with Paul about the stem. I tried and tried to get a new silver stem somewhere close to the length I need, but without success. The one I used was a NOS 3T Status model from Ebay - a bargain at only £6. Slightly short for me at 120mm, but quite nice. It's a bit more gun-metal coloured than the silver I'd hoped for, but I'm still keeping an eye out.
Spacebadger, this might be worth a try? It's dated March, so it might be gone.
http://www.londonfgss.com/thread17535.html
I'm a very short-arsed earthbadger, but with very long arms: I got a 13cm cinelli from somewhere. If you've no luck. PM me and I'll try to find out where I got it from.
Aye, very nice result there, btw.  8)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1679 on: 28 June, 2009, 06:19:41 pm »
That is just stunning. Though I don't know what it would have looked like in its original incarnation (much less any subsequent ones) I suspect that it might look better now than it ever has done.
I saw it in its original pinky-purple finish, and you are correct.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #1680 on: 28 June, 2009, 06:39:29 pm »
The current fleet:

Giant TCR Carbon, Ultegra drivetrain, Ksyrium Elite wheels.

The audax bike:  Thorn Cyclosportif, handbuilt wheels with a Schmidt front hub drivind an Edelux, Ultegra drivetrain, 3TTT Morphe bars, Tubus rack, Arkel pack, Brooks Team Pro.

Specialized Enduro, Fox Talas forks, XT drivetrain, handbuilt wheels.

Specialized Langster, 70" gear with Sugino cranks, hanbuilt wheels with Goldtech hubs and CXP33 rims.

The Pub bike!

« Reply #1681 on: 28 June, 2009, 07:01:35 pm »
I present you Theia

You say Theia.  Enigma says Thelma.

Very funny.   ;D

« Reply #1682 on: 28 June, 2009, 08:06:10 pm »
Spacebadger, this might be worth a try? It's dated March, so it might be gone.
http://www.londonfgss.com/thread17535.html
I'm a very short-arsed earthbadger, but with very long arms: I got a 13cm cinelli from somewhere. If you've no luck. PM me and I'll try to find out where I got it from.
Aye, very nice result there, btw.  8)

Thanks, eck. I've just registered and made 3 quick (mostly) pointless posts  ::-) so I should be able to PM the seller this time tomorrow.

« Reply #1683 on: 28 June, 2009, 08:09:36 pm »
The current fleet:

Giant TCR Carbon, Ultegra drivetrain, Ksyrium Elite wheels.

Specialized Enduro, Fox Talas forks, XT drivetrain, handbuilt wheels.

A nice collection! My faves are the Giant (nice colour co-ordination) and the Speccy.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #1684 on: 28 June, 2009, 11:52:50 pm »
Well time to put this here:

I finally fettled it into a ride-able state today, although still only one gear and back brakes only. I gave the local kids a few 'joy rides' and raised lots of smiles then took Maffie to the park and back.

It's certainly an enjoyable laid back mode of transport. I reckon it will be good for a 10 mph average on the flat. And those brakes are bloody powerful. Must be able to eject your passengers with the front brake sorted! I can't wait to get it stripped and lovingly rebuilt.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1685 on: 29 June, 2009, 08:51:44 am »
I present you Theia

Once I am sure about the stem size I will order a new Hope one in blinging blue.  Other than that, all is well.

That's a lovely bike, Grub. Despite Lee's misgivings (and I note he's a reformed blingist ;)), do not ever be tempted to join the throng of black-accessoried-Ti-bike owners. It looks so unnnecessarily industrial and, well, dull. Ti is a lovely material, but it does need blinging up a bit. Sod the fact that coloured bar tape gets grubby - it's only a few quid to change it, and most colours respond pretty well to a treatment with MucOff.

Down With Dull Bikes!! ;D For instance, this is how Ritchey would have the Break away Ti/carbon:

This is how it should be!

« Reply #1686 on: 29 June, 2009, 12:43:13 pm »
Nice, nice bike Grub! Busy as always!  ;) and I am not so sure with the blue touch either. But lovely bike.

Rob, quite a collection and some big bikes!! I take it you don't use the drops much on the Langster.  ;D
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

ed_o_brain

« Reply #1687 on: 29 June, 2009, 01:20:03 pm »
Grub,
Your bike needs blue tyres and a blue or blue/black saddle to balance it up.

TimC,
That Ritchey is a beaut. How does it ride? Does the carbon triangle make for quite a stiff back end?

ed_o_brain

« Reply #1688 on: 29 June, 2009, 03:15:33 pm »
Ladies and Gents,

I present to you my Eviiil Bike:

Don't be fooled by it's white saddle and white bar tape. It's a ruse. This bike is black and evil through and through.
And don't ask me why. It just is.

Hopefully heading for a club run a week on Sunday.  :thumbsup:

Should I go for an obligatory carbon bottle cage or will people look down their snooty noses at me for having an alloy one on there?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #1689 on: 29 June, 2009, 03:20:46 pm »
They're more likely to look down their noses at you using spds rather than road pedals...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #1690 on: 29 June, 2009, 03:39:36 pm »
Should I go for an obligatory carbon bottle cage or will people look down their snooty noses at me for having an alloy one on there?

No, alloy is fine, and that invisible alloy one you have is especially cool.  8)

Nice Evil bike, sir. I gave it some serious thought for my n+1. I only decided against it cos I already had some non-compatible wheels. Enjoy.  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #1691 on: 29 June, 2009, 03:53:03 pm »
They will mainly comment if you can't keep up... They won't mind what you ride if you do!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

ed_o_brain

« Reply #1692 on: 29 June, 2009, 03:59:34 pm »
They're more likely to look down their noses at you using spds rather than road pedals...

Very true. I poking fun anyway, thinking about my last foray into anything racey, where by I did some time trialling. I set a reasonable time despite having a compact chainset and wearing a 'sail'. People are welcome to be a snooty as they like :)

My intention is just to enjoy the bike without forking out for anything else. I'll be hoping my pump fits in my jersey pocket and I don't think I'm too fussed about a 'puter.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #1693 on: 29 June, 2009, 04:01:32 pm »
They will mainly comment if you can't keep up... They won't mind what you ride if you do!

Not my experience, but my aim!

Thanks Frenchie.

« Reply #1694 on: 29 June, 2009, 09:40:42 pm »
One more to share...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1695 on: 29 June, 2009, 09:45:57 pm »
Your saddle can peep over the fence into next door's! ;D

Nice bicycle, mind ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #1696 on: 29 June, 2009, 09:56:35 pm »
Thanks TimC, loving your ti too.  I agree and can understand why you have gone for the red route.

Frenchie, busy - well yes as she is a worker bike.  Lovely to ride but still a worker.

Ed, you surprise me with an Evil bike.  I had you down as a more sit up and beg type of guy  ;D  Glad to be proven wrong though.

Spacebadger, that seat post must flex somewhat?  How long is your stem too?  Can you ride that with no hands?  Lovely colour scheme though.  I have always admired them - they are massively bling in Oz.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #1697 on: 29 June, 2009, 10:06:48 pm »
Ed, you surprise me with an Evil bike.  I had you down as a more sit up and beg type of guy  ;D  Glad to be proven wrong though.

I'm not sure how you draw that conclusion when this is my usual choice weapon:

Still, nice to prove you wrong  ;)
(And I can stop drooling enviously at your TCR whenver you post a picture of it!!)

« Reply #1698 on: 29 June, 2009, 10:21:34 pm »
Your saddle can peep over the fence into next door's! ;D

Nice bicycle, mind ;)

There's not much to see  ;)

Spacebadger, that seat post must flex somewhat?  How long is your stem too?  Can you ride that with no hands?  Lovely colour scheme though.  I have always admired them - they are massively bling in Oz.

Thanks. It's a very comfortable and light bike but I don't notice any flex. R3s are renowned for their stiffness (let's not start that debate again here...). Stem is 130mm. I am just on the limit, thankfully for my wallet, of being able to ride off the peg bikes. If I were any taller I'd be considerably poorer!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1699 on: 29 June, 2009, 10:33:58 pm »
Yes, a bike that Cervelo custom built would damage your bank balance for a long time.
Getting there...