Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2466853 times)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #4025 on: 11 January, 2011, 08:42:23 pm »
Get a rohloff, you'll never want to ride a derailleur geared bike again!!  8)

I find the gear change mushy on Rohloffs and much prefer Alfines in that respect.  14 gears is a nice thing, but I think the Alfine 11 is going to be a better overall buy than the Rohloff.  And since I mostly ride fixed, these days, I can't justify the spend on a Rohloff.
If memory serves, my Alfine-11 is costing me around £400, which includes the hub, Rapidfire shifter and various other bits of control gear (cassette joint etc.) - but then I do generally get a good deal from my LBS.

I did consider a Rohloff when I was putting the original spec together towards the middle of last year, but whether it was something to do with the euro exchange rate or whatever, the cheapest disc-compatible SpeedHub I could find was over a grand :o It looks like prices have dropped a bit since then but it's still far too expensive for me. However, people I know who have them haven't had anything bad to say about them (other than the price ;) )

The Alfine-11 is a very nice piece of kit - the shifting is far snappier than my 8-speed, and it's extremely quiet too. Granted, the Alfine doesn't have the range of the Rohloff, and it has three fewer gears, but the gearing on the bike that I test rode felt like it would suit pretty much everything up to and including loaded touring. Once Shimano get the supply side of things sorted out, I reckon they'll shift a lot of them, but I don't think it'll have much effect on the sales of Rohloffs if it has any effect at all.

I did hear whispers that SRAM might be releasing an competitor to the Alfine-11 towards the end of 2011, which could make life interesting indeed but again, I don't think that Rohloff will be losing any sleep over it.

Simon

« Reply #4026 on: 12 January, 2011, 05:17:49 pm »
... I did consider a Rohloff  ... However, people I know who have them haven't had anything bad to say about them (other than the price ;) ) ...

Don't mention this to Wowbagger then, he's broken several, which admittedly have all been replaced by Thorn free-of-charge.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #4027 on: 13 January, 2011, 09:34:39 pm »
Pompino with new wheels Mavic CXP22 on good hubs, rear carrier stays trimmed down.

« Reply #4028 on: 14 January, 2011, 08:50:05 am »
i have taken a few days to read through this thread an idid not see my old cycles on here :o. i better rectify that ;D.
the trice and trailer

and the antrotech with trailer

and the thorn ,not a good shot i ll do a better one tomorrow  :)

Cycleman -

Your last picture shows an interesting bike - a recumbent by the looks of it, can't see it too well in the pics - which you say is a Thorn - tell me more! Do you mean Thorn as in Thorn, or have I misread?? Never realised they made 'bents!

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #4029 on: 14 January, 2011, 09:14:51 am »
My everyday bike that'll do on and off-road. Sunday 9th January 2011, and the rain has relented. Bought off 'Ron' of this parish, at least a couple of years ago but, as they say in Royston Vasey, "Your my bike now Dave".

Kinesis 7005 aliminium frame, so nice 'n' light. Usually has slicks on, but relented this winter.

Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4030 on: 14 January, 2011, 09:31:42 am »
Oooh ... another excuse to post a pic of Orange-Gina the Genesis :)

Taken just before I left work last night, hence the overall 'dark' vibe ...

corshamjim

« Reply #4031 on: 14 January, 2011, 12:05:33 pm »

iwoot!  I'm hoping Genesis will offer something similar with the Alfine 11 eventually though - I say eventually because it will take me a while to save up for one.  ::-)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4032 on: 14 January, 2011, 01:44:59 pm »

iwoot!  I'm hoping Genesis will offer something similar with the Alfine 11 eventually though - I say eventually because it will take me a while to save up for one.  ::-)
My Alfine-11 is still on bloody back-order, and has been since September  :demon: Every other bit of the bike is at the LBS, but not the hub. Doesn't help that the owner of said LBS managed to snag a Koga Signature with aforementioned can of 11 gears. I took it for a spin - both the bike and the hub are lovely.

Genesis are already offering the iO hardtail with the Alfine-11, at least according to their website - it's about £1500 or thereabouts.

The pics I took of the 11 with my 'standby' camera are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/interzen - hoping I can take some more with my bad-ass new Lumix at the weekend.

The Alfine-8 Day One is a really nice ride, apparently - I'm more interested in the Versa STI-like shifter, since I may convert the Marin to drops at some point in the future. 'Gina is actually the Day One 'cross bike converted to fixed rather than singlespeed.

« Reply #4033 on: 14 January, 2011, 11:23:46 pm »
a number of years ago thorn made around 4 lwb frames based on the american tour easy recumbent. for some reason they never made any more and sent the the frames to d tek recumbent s  .i happened to be at the right place at the right time and bought the frame set . kevin at d tek managed to lose the forks so i ordered a tour easy fork from the states . when it arrived i found that the thorn had a longer head tube than the te so i had a local engineering firm cut and insert a length  tube . a year after i bought it ,it was stolen from slough train station . it was recovered about 2 months later but all the thorn transfers had been removed. i have never got round to getting new ones.i will one day though  :) 
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #4034 on: 15 January, 2011, 09:43:53 am »
a number of years ago thorn made around 4 lwb frames based on the american tour easy recumbent. for some reason they never made any more and sent the the frames to d tek recumbent s  .i happened to be at the right place at the right time and bought the frame set . kevin at d tek managed to lose the forks so i ordered a tour easy fork from the states . when it arrived i found that the thorn had a longer head tube than the te so i had a local engineering firm cut and insert a length  tube . a year after i bought it ,it was stolen from slough train station . it was recovered about 2 months later but all the thorn transfers had been removed. i have never got round to getting new ones.i will one day though  :) 

Thanks Cycleman.  Any chance of some photos?

« Reply #4035 on: 15 January, 2011, 02:54:09 pm »
yes , as soon as i can find my camera  :-[
the slower you go the more you see

Riggers

« Reply #4036 on: 18 January, 2011, 09:04:24 am »
Near Glynde with Mount Caburn in the background (at a dizzy height of 500ft), and yes, I have played with the colour a bit.

« Reply #4037 on: 18 January, 2011, 07:59:36 pm »
Kewl. :thumbsup:

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #4038 on: 19 January, 2011, 04:30:00 pm »
Good shot of a fine looking bike.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #4039 on: 19 January, 2011, 05:03:06 pm »
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #4040 on: 20 January, 2011, 10:39:13 am »

Birthday present of a Bagman QR expedition and a Nelson Longflap means I can get rid of the scaffolding at the back of the bike. Got to sort out lighting as my lights were all rack mounted and now I am using an Astrum at eye level which is utterly antisocial.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #4041 on: 20 January, 2011, 11:25:13 am »

Birthday present of a Bagman QR expedition and a Nelson Longflap means I can get rid of the scaffolding at the back of the bike. Got to sort out lighting as my lights were all rack mounted and now I am using an Astrum at eye level which is utterly antisocial.

Real pretty looking!

Question on the front light - how've you got it mounted - is it mounted sideways or is it on the low-rider bosses?

I want to get my front light lower down (currently on the fork crown).  I know you can get the Paul Gino things from the US, but they are many dollar for such a simple thing. 

Just wondered how you were doing it?
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4042 on: 20 January, 2011, 11:48:19 am »
I have my rear lights at that height.  Only way to get noticed by londinial numpties. >:(
Getting there...

« Reply #4043 on: 20 January, 2011, 11:55:34 am »
Real pretty looking!

Question on the front light - how've you got it mounted - is it mounted sideways or is it on the low-rider bosses?

I want to get my front light lower down (currently on the fork crown).  I know you can get the Paul Gino things from the US, but they are many dollar for such a simple thing. 

Thanks.

I was too tight to buy the Gino too. Luckily, passport make a hard plastic version of the same thing. Unfortunately, the one of the endcaps is plastic too, and it deforms, so you'll have to reinforce it with a 10p sized washer, then it works great.

Billys BMX, Skate and Bike Shop:
Bikes: :  Details

Riggers

« Reply #4044 on: 20 January, 2011, 11:57:35 am »
Yes! It's my bike again!! This time by a farm with geese and hens plodding around. Also Barns & Bikes

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #4045 on: 20 January, 2011, 12:01:06 pm »
Real pretty looking!

Thanks.

I was too tight to buy the Gino too. Luckily, passport make a hard plastic version of the same thing. Unfortunately, the one of the endcaps is plastic too, and it deforms, so you'll have to reinforce it with a 10p sized washer, then it works great.

Billys BMX, Skate and Bike Shop:
Bikes: :  Details

Brilliant - thanks a lot for that.  Looks just the ticket.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

fuzzy

« Reply #4046 on: 20 January, 2011, 12:18:27 pm »
Yes! It's my bike again!! This time by a farm with geese and hens plodding around. Also Barns & Bikes

I didn't realise the cuts were going to be that drastic :o

Riggers

« Reply #4047 on: 20 January, 2011, 12:21:42 pm »
Groan.  ::-)

fuzzy

« Reply #4048 on: 20 January, 2011, 12:29:38 pm »
I guess we should relocate to the truly aweful jokes thread.

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #4049 on: 20 January, 2011, 02:07:52 pm »

You beauty !!!!!!
Anti social or being mowed down by some SMIDSY? Your choice. I have the same as you and a Smart superflash on the seat stay and in rush hour another on my back!