Author Topic: Ketogenic diet - fad or phenom?  (Read 198150 times)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: Ketogenic diet - fad or phenom?
« Reply #1050 on: 27 March, 2019, 07:32:29 pm »
I'm now three months into another go at Keto, and this time sticking to it much better.

It seems that I can remain in ketosis on 40g carbs or more, and the occasional day of completely different food (I had a pizza!!) still didn't kick me out of ketosis. So I allow myself a cake or two per week, but otherwise stick to under 40g net carbs per day.

For the first two months I tracked everything on Cronometer, now I have reset my food portion sizes through experience, I am no longer tracking.

In the three months I have lost 14kg and am feeling really good with it. As before, at first I had a few issues with my digestion and felt rather bunged up. I assume this is the change of gut bacteria from carb-eating to veg&fat eating. All the pipework functions properly now, although I do add some flax seeds to my lunchtime salad to help things along. We eat so many vegetables that I guess I am getting plenty of fibre.

Now, after 3 months, the only remaining negative is that my hair seems thinner and lank. I hope it will bouffant out a bit in due course.

I do 16:8 fasting every day, in other words I don't eat breakfast, just lunch and dinner. This is totally easy as I am not hungry in the morning. I now also walk to work and back one day a week (4.2km each way), just to mix up the exercise a bit. The dog is also getting walked daily (I didn't used to do this as my landlady does) and of course cycling.

My partner is doing much less strict low carb. He eats the same meals as me at home but has some other stuff over the day, including his weakness, Gummibärchen. He is also losing weight but doesn't really need to drop any more, so I am trying to get him to eat more mascarpone desserts etc to up his fats/calories.

We will do bike tours again this year, at least 3, and on those we have to eat normal food really. I hope to be able to stick with the Keto most of the rest of the time though, as I feel so much better for it. Losing weight is a real bonus of course, and I have another 17kg to go to get to my target weight (which is still 10kg higher than it should be!), but I hope slow and steady will do this.

This time round I have also stopped bothering trying to make nice Keto cakes; I have a decent Brownie recipe but most of the other stuff just doesn't taste good enough for me. Fortunately my sweet tooth has pretty much disappeared, so I don't need anything like that at home. The occasional proper German cake when on a cycle ride is a great treat, but I could live without if necessary.

We will see how the year pans out. I always feel loads better on Keto but it can be tough to stick to. This time we have more variety in foods, I have some UK Keto books, I am in a facebook Keto group which has good recipes (although loads of other annoying crap and bad spelling) and generally I am trying to treat it just as a way of life and not a diet. So far so good! Third time (year) lucky, I hope. Previously I have only managed to stay Keto till April and then it all falls away...
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #1051 on: 10 April, 2019, 12:22:02 pm »
Really should get back on this WOE again.
Been back on the road for work for the last 18 months and snacking on chocolate and garage food has took me back up to around the 100kg mark.
Still not eating pasta rice or potatoes with dinner but as the youngest has also moved in with us there's more chocolate bars, pork pies and sausage rolls in the fridge.
Need more will power  ;D

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #1052 on: 02 June, 2019, 04:23:09 pm »
I'm now three months into another go at Keto, and this time sticking to it much better.

I am seriously impressed. My second attempt at Keto failed miserably, but I've never lost so much weight or felt so good as the first time I did it.
14Kg is amazing - congratulations!
Everyone's favourite windbreak

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1053 on: 02 June, 2019, 07:41:47 pm »
now 19kg and I am having to buy lots of new clothes.

We have been away the last few weekends so eating normally then. Weight loss has stalled, but we are still keen to eat Keto when back home, so I hope after our two week tour later in June we will be back properly to it again. This time, maybe, it will stick.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1054 on: 29 August, 2019, 04:12:19 pm »
My wife is trying to go keto and I've said I'll join in to support her. Only been going a few days but I'm actually enjoying it so far - and surprisingly not missing the carbs at all.

Breakfast today was boiled eggs, salami, Gouda slices and blueberries.

Lunch was a salad of goat's cheese, broccoli, olives, tomatoes, lettuce and a generous scattering of pumpkin seeds, all drizzled with sesame oil. Rather tasty!

How are people measuring their macros? I'm using myfitnesspal but I'm never sure how accurate it is. I think it's probably close enough for my purposes though. It's actually surprisingly hard to get the right ratios - what I imagine to be very-high-fat meals sometimes seem to be too high in protein for keto purposes. Avocados and pumpkin seeds are proving to be saviours.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1055 on: 29 August, 2019, 04:36:07 pm »
I tracked macros with Cronometer. I found MFP had too many incorrect entries - if I added everything myself it was Ok, but American standards are different (they keep fibre in carb values, in the EU they are deducted). Also I think some things are just different there - much more carby, perhaps as they add sugar to so much.

I only tracked food for 2 months. By that point I had learned what I could eat, and also learned that I can stay in ketosis with up to 50g net carbs. I often eat a slice of cake whilst cycling without issues. I don’t need to eat breakfast now, my first meal is lunch. I only snack on mixed nuts, and not too often.

We love the freedom from being always hungry and find the food really tasty, although desserts are a bit Samey. Since January I have lost 20kg and that’s without calorie counting/tracking since March.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1056 on: 29 August, 2019, 04:37:20 pm »
Oh, and I found having double the recommended protein per day didn’t affect my ketosis either - I eat around 150-200g protein per day.

Cheese, yum!

citoyen

« Reply #1057 on: 29 August, 2019, 05:28:16 pm »
Oh, and I found having double the recommended protein per day didn’t affect my ketosis either - I eat around 150-200g protein per day.

Cheese, yum!

That's good to know. Any diet that allows scoffing plenty of cheese is just fine by me!

Will give Cronometer a go - looks good. I find MFP quite annoying on the whole.

simonp

« Reply #1058 on: 29 August, 2019, 07:57:43 pm »
Trying out cronometer as myfitnesspal is annoying with way to much junk in the database - first impressions good.

« Reply #1059 on: 30 August, 2019, 09:14:00 am »
As mentioned in the weight-loss thread, I'm using cronometer.

If the values are correct, I am way, way under protein each day. Only hitting 80% of requirement at best. 60% on most days. 80% of carb intake as well.

This would explain why I'm not building any muscle and I'm running out of energy on longer paddles when I push myself.  Struggling to find protein sources - I already use a protein shake.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

« Reply #1060 on: 30 August, 2019, 10:21:43 am »
Yep, first impressions of Cronometer are likewise good. I especially like the way you can adjust your macro targets as a standard (ie free) feature - makes it much easier to keep track if you're doing anything other than the standard 60% carbs.

The app is easy to use - it's more stripped back than MFP and I'd like to have the ability to save foods by meal as you can do with MFP but OTOH when you go via your web browser it provides a *lot* more detailed information.

citoyen

« Reply #1061 on: 30 August, 2019, 10:27:35 am »
Just to add, I've been experiencing some symptoms in the last 24 hours which I suspect are 'keto flu' - mainly a bit of a headache and a slight sniffle.

Still not having any sugar/carb cravings though, which is slightly surprising (only a brief moment when I caught a whiff of freshly baked patisserie while walking past a cafe on my way to work this morning).

« Reply #1062 on: 30 August, 2019, 11:14:31 am »
The app is easy to use - it's more stripped back than MFP and I'd like to have the ability to save foods by meal as you can do with MFP but OTOH when you go via your web browser it provides a *lot* more detailed information.
You can create 'recipes'. Go to web browser, select food tab, click + Add Recipe.
The added recipe then appears as an item when you +Food.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

simonp

« Reply #1063 on: 30 August, 2019, 11:40:34 am »
The database is much higher-quality and easier to search and filter. This is by far my biggest complaint with myfitnesspal, lots of low quality data that's hard to exclude from search results, making the quality of the nutrient data highly suspect. Cronometer gives an amino acid breakdown - if this is accurate it's very useful for a veggie or vegan diet to ensure quality of protein is high.

citoyen

« Reply #1064 on: 30 August, 2019, 11:59:47 am »
You can create 'recipes'. Go to web browser, select food tab, click + Add Recipe.
The added recipe then appears as an item when you +Food.

Yep, I did that for last night's dinner (cauliflower pizza). But I'm thinking more about the way MFP has subheadings for breakfast, lunch etc in the daily diary listing, so when you add food you allocate it to a specific mealtime. I don't think you can do this in Cronometer (unless it's a feature I haven't discovered yet, or possibly a premium feature). It's really not that important though.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1065 on: 30 August, 2019, 12:20:00 pm »
It’s one of the things you get with the premium edition (the possibility to arrange food by meals).

I didn’t find it that vital, although I did use the feature as it was there. But I wouldn’t bother paying another year as the free version has everything you really need.

citoyen

« Reply #1066 on: 31 August, 2019, 10:39:07 am »
Did my first keto parkrun today, as 28 minute pacer - which should be a comfortable pace for me but I found it really hard work and was close to hitting the wall for the final 1.5km. I know you're supposed to take it easier when you're just starting out on keto but I guess I underestimated just how much slower you need to be!

Treated myself to a Magnum afterwards (22g carbs!) but I'm compensating by cooking up a proper keto breakfast of sausage, bacon, egg and avocado... #saynototoast

ian

« Reply #1067 on: 04 September, 2019, 01:47:18 pm »

Cheese, yum!

The average human requires 40-60 g protein per day (if they're not building muscle mass). It's pretty hard for an omnivore in the first world not to get that. Protein is mildly toxic, excess protein needs to be stripped of amine groups by the liver and excreted by the kidneys as urea (that's why obligate carnivores tend to suffer from end-of-life liver and renal problems).

I'm not sure there's an upper reference limit for cheese though, I hope not.

« Reply #1068 on: 24 September, 2019, 07:10:22 pm »
I'm increasingly looking at trying this...partly weightloss, but also that there's some suggestions that it may help people with chronic migraines.
Is there any convenient guides/websites for meal plans?

citoyen

« Reply #1069 on: 24 September, 2019, 07:32:00 pm »
I'm winging it, and it's going ok so far. As long as you like olives and avocados, it's pretty easy. Keto also sits well with my habit of eating spoonfuls of peanut butter out of the jar and nibbling on hunks of cheese.

There are plenty of recipes on the web if you want ideas. Mostly it's about doing a bit of mental arithmetic and/or googling to work out the macros. But also make sure you pay attention to the micros because you could easily miss out on some key ones if you're not careful.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1070 on: 24 September, 2019, 07:46:23 pm »
my habit of eating spoonfuls of peanut butter out of the jar and nibbling on hunks of cheese.
Blimey, I'm almost keto and I didn't know it! If you ignore bread, jam, chocolate etc...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1071 on: 24 September, 2019, 08:17:23 pm »
I'm increasingly looking at trying this...partly weightloss, but also that there's some suggestions that it may help people with chronic migraines.
DietDoctor.com is a very good place to start.

« Reply #1072 on: 24 September, 2019, 08:36:26 pm »
DietDoctor.com is a very good place to start.

This is perfect, thanks.

« Reply #1073 on: 27 September, 2019, 08:16:31 pm »
Well, I'm going to follow that dietdoctor.com plan and start this on Sunday. Timing is not ideal, but then I realized that there's never an ideal time.
In fact, despite being in a deadline crunch at work, I think it'll actually help me. Rather than staying at work for dinner, I'll go home, cook dinner and then go back to work. It'll help me stay sane too.

Chris S

« Reply #1074 on: 27 September, 2019, 08:19:25 pm »
If you're going for full Keto - I actually find the extra mental focus you get from ketosis is an advantage when up against it at work (or anything, actually).

The extreme version of this is a three day fast - if I start a fast Sunday night, the following Thursday can be remarkably productive.