Author Topic: Reporting a polluting vehicle  (Read 1965 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Reporting a polluting vehicle
« on: 13 March, 2019, 03:48:38 pm »
Does anyone know how it's done when it isn't a large commercial vehicle?

I was following a rather decrepit people carrier today and it was belching black smoke the entire time. I had a quick search on line about how to report it, but some local authority websites I looked at seemed to imply that the only vehicles that you could report were lorries & buses. It seems that light vans and private cars are excluded from the scheme.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
Re: Reporting a polluting vehicle
« Reply #1 on: 13 March, 2019, 05:02:19 pm »
Surely its next MOT will get it off the road if it's that bad? Assuming its owner has it tested, of course ::-).
Pen Pusher

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2 on: 13 March, 2019, 05:26:00 pm »
Surely its next MOT will get it off the road if it's that bad? Assuming its owner has it tested, of course ::-).

Yes.
Although Traffic Polis can also haul a car off the road if they find it to be unroadworthy.

Seen similar the other week, back of car covered in diesel soot, plate unreadable, on the plus side it'll probably expire in a few days the way it was going and sounding.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 13 March, 2019, 07:18:39 pm »
There used to be a way of reporting them - I have done in the past. Probably been austerized.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4 on: 15 March, 2019, 01:25:20 pm »
On a related note, I was behind a similar vehicle that was a licensed Hackney Carriage the other day. Does anyone know if there are different regs that apply to them?

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5 on: 15 March, 2019, 02:00:14 pm »
On a related note, I was behind a similar vehicle that was a licensed Hackney Carriage the other day. Does anyone know if there are different regs that apply to them?

As far as I can judge from their usual behaviour,* no rules apply to them.

* exceptions do occur.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup: