Author Topic: Current best buy dynamo light  (Read 2341 times)

Current best buy dynamo light
« on: 04 February, 2019, 06:29:20 pm »
I know I'm almost going to regret asking this but current thoughts on best front dynamo light? I need a light for a new bike. I currently have the B+M LUMOTEC IQ CYO PREMIUM T 80 lux version on my old bike. At the time that was considered "best bang for the buck"at the time and has been ok. Its still available but is there anything better that isn't mega dosh?

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

Re: Current best buy dynamo light
« Reply #1 on: 04 February, 2019, 06:43:23 pm »
how bright do you want, are you bothered about 'features' and how much money do you want to spend?

FWIW the IQ-X is significantly brighter and isn't stupid money.

cheers

« Reply #2 on: 04 February, 2019, 06:55:43 pm »
how bright do you want, are you bothered about 'features' and how much money do you want to spend?

FWIW the IQ-X is significantly brighter and isn't stupid money.

cheers

Yes, i have looked at the IQ-X, looks good for the money. As for features, on/off switch and a stand light are about it. Good light patterns are as important as brightness.   
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 04 February, 2019, 07:20:13 pm »
The IQ-XS looks like good value. Probably similar brightness to the Cyo Premium, maybe better quality construction etc.

« Reply #5 on: 04 February, 2019, 08:43:33 pm »
I have a Luxos U that has a wide beam, it will light both sides of the road a bit beside you, but the quality of the beam pattern leaves loads of brighter and dimmer spots. It will put out a bit of extra light from the buffer battery at the flick of a switch. It’s plenty fine to see where you’re going.

I’ve also got one of the super bright ones, IQ-X?, the beam pattern is a bit narrower so the light is only in front, it has a little glow from the side for side visibility. The beam is much more consistent in intensity in terms of what you see even though it is lighting a goodly length of road. It’s a way better light, but I’d recommend getting a deacent bracket for it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 04 February, 2019, 08:46:30 pm »
[IQ-X]

It’s a way better light, but I’d recommend getting a deacent bracket for it.

Agreed.  The supplied bracket is excellent for fitting awkwardly around rim brakes, and gives you somewhere neat to put the output connectors if you're not using a rear light, but it's otherwise a pain.  I'm using the much simpler bent-wire bracket from a broken Cyo for mine, which doesn't require any special tools and hasn't got anywhere to go droopy.

« Reply #7 on: 06 February, 2019, 08:41:33 pm »
The plastic bracket bump modulates the beam height!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #8 on: 06 February, 2019, 08:56:24 pm »
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/busch-mueller-iq-x-led-headlight-black-517025?currency=3&delivery_country=190&gclid=CjwKCAiA4t_iBRApEiwAn-vt-4II4YwC8rk8795wntvHhhTomPkISI9MkQCPqy1EXAA9HhmjdtxlsBoCakEQAvD_BwE

£71

€72.60
BikeDiscount Exchange Range £65.65 or 1.10 to 1
Visa Europe currently offering 1.13 so £64.07 before your card issuers commission is applied.
EDIT: Pay Pal Rate 1.08...

That's a really good deal and I could do with one for the bike I'm building...

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #9 on: 10 February, 2019, 05:31:55 pm »
Any advantages of the IQ-X over the SON Deluxe II besides cost?

« Reply #10 on: 10 February, 2019, 05:34:19 pm »

Don't think so.

Advantage of Edelux is build quality.

« Reply #11 on: 10 February, 2019, 06:15:26 pm »

the connections are made differently which may mean one is more reliable than the other.  The SON has a better warranty, I think.

The IQ-X is a more flexible light inasmuch as it can be mounted either way up (the body rotates in a band clamp) whereas I think there are different versions of the SON depending on how it is to be mounted.

cheers

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #12 on: 10 February, 2019, 07:11:41 pm »

the connections are made differently which may mean one is more reliable than the other.  The SON has a better warranty, I think.

The IQ-X is a more flexible light inasmuch as it can be mounted either way up (the body rotates in a band clamp) whereas I think there are different versions of the SON depending on how it is to be mounted.

cheers

Yes I had to find the "upside-down" version which lacks the light sensor and costs more, for hanging from the bars of the Orange bike which doesn't have anywhere on the fork to take the bracket.
The Up-Side-Down version also uses an insulated ring, ring terminal and screw for attaching the rear light to the output rather than a spade, presumably because with it facing upwards a non-sealed approach would drown the light.

Will be able to compare the 3 once my latest piece of taking advantage of the exchange rate and German shop buying power arrives.
B&M IXON IQ-X Premium (From now referred to as the Battery IQ-XP)
B&M IQ-X
SON EdeluxII Up-side-down

Easy enough to compare as they're mounted to the same bracket hanging off my bars. (and I'll have a mount for it on the bars of the bike that's getting the IQ-X, maybe over kill as a back up light...)

One thing I've noticed is that on full mode the Battery IQ-XP does seem brighter than the EdeluxII.
Beam pattern is the same (unsurprisingly) though slightly different aim as the EdeluxII hangs below the Battery IQ-XP

So will see how the IQ-X fares, though it'll be on the fork crown.