Author Topic: Agonising tent decision  (Read 19685 times)

Re: Agonising tent decision
« Reply #50 on: 12 February, 2018, 10:52:28 pm »
Alpkit Ordos 2, a two person semi geodesic weighing in at 1.3kg
looks good in the flesh and their customer service is excellent.
I agree with Wow, I can"t sleep in these ultra lightweight coffins.
I shall be using my North Face Tadpole.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #51 on: 18 February, 2018, 09:45:19 pm »
Hmm... that's another very meshy inner-pitches-first job.

I am planning to visit Open Air in Cambridge in the coming week to have a look at tents and shoes. They have got quite a good stock and there is no rush...

I do like the look of the Xenon 2 that Bikepacker recommends.

This also tickles my fancy.

https://www.openair.co.uk/camping-c11/tents-shelter-c143/tents-c144/lightwave-t20-trail-tent-p4034
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #52 on: 19 February, 2018, 08:58:46 pm »
Hmmm... Too heavy for backpacking in my opinion
I consider a maximum pack weight of 12kg for a summer trip + water.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #53 on: 20 February, 2018, 06:56:11 pm »
Total pack weight is something I have yet to consider. It's ... 14 years since I last went on a walking trip with tents. I have no idea what my pack weight was.

Meanwhile, what is a "unisex" tent?  ???

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/332534255082?chn=ps&adgroupid=53646903724&rlsatarget=pla-414252418228&abcId=1133956&adtype=pla&merchantid=9821874&googleloc=1007216&device=c&campaignid=1058615745&crdt=0&var=541618843761

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #54 on: 20 February, 2018, 07:08:27 pm »
One that isn't pink, obviously.

« Reply #55 on: 21 February, 2018, 08:39:08 am »
Or camo
Camo is only for boys. Unless it's pink. Pink camo is the only camo that Girls can have, I understand.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #56 on: 21 February, 2018, 12:17:26 pm »
Or camo
Camo is only for boys. Unless it's pink. Pink camo is the only camo that Girls can have, I understand.

Hang on, I thought pink camo was for the 1990s gay scene?

It's all so complicated...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #57 on: 21 February, 2018, 01:22:43 pm »
Pink camol for the gay scene? Probably, but you have to discreet in Saudi:
Pink Camel About Us
It all started with a macaron...
It all started with a macaron in the leading macaron pastry shop in Paris (Laduree). The flavor was salted caramel, the texture was perfect, and after the first bite Pastry Chef Mayada Badr was hooked. She was attending Parsons School of Design in Paris, the city she refers to as the city of food and indulgence.

This is where Mayada's culinary education started at the renowned Cordon Bleu. After completing her Grand Diplome she interned at Laduree for three months where she met amazing chefs who taught her various techniques and inspired her taste buds. After, she moved to the south of France and interned at Bastide de Saint Antoine, a 2 Michelin starred restaurant in the small city of Grasse. Surrounded by olive trees and the fragrance of the south she learned another style of cooking.

Once returning to Saudi Mayada realized that the French pastry market was very under exposed and only few restaurants and outlets provided top quality products. While the "Cupcake" craze had taken over the dessert market, Mayada had decided she wanted to introduce her version of high end French Pastry to the Saudi market; and thus Pink Camel was born and opened its doors for the first time on July 21st 2012 in Jeddah. A name that now stands for pure indulgence.
http://pink-camel.com
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #58 on: 21 February, 2018, 10:27:43 pm »

One that will only fit one person in, obviously.

(not that this actually applies to this tent, or any of the other unisex tents that appear under similar items)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #59 on: 22 February, 2018, 09:08:08 am »

(not that this actually applies to this tent, or any of the other unisex tents that appear under similar items)

Ah, but what if they are bisexual?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #60 on: 22 February, 2018, 11:39:46 am »

Then they can go to Bi Camp.

« Reply #61 on: 22 February, 2018, 01:01:39 pm »

Crumbs, that's walking distance from us! Are you going?
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #62 on: 22 February, 2018, 01:52:46 pm »

Crumbs, that's walking distance from us! Are you going?

I'm probably FNRttCing.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #63 on: 22 February, 2018, 02:56:22 pm »
This guy is not impressed by Terra Nova:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSPdVkIIELM

« Reply #64 on: 22 February, 2018, 03:50:39 pm »
This guy is not impressed by Terra Nova:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSPdVkIIELM
I'm sure you could find disappointed customers of any tent manufacturer, I've read several of Hillieberg, usually about the zips.
I didn't watch the whole vid, the language ought to carry a NSFW warning.  His problem seems to be the poles are just snapping due to the change in temperature.  His complaint that TN wanted him to send it back to look at it.  Seems reasonable to me, these are probably DAC poles, so the just snapping would want investigation, did he think they were just going to send him a new tent?
My TN is almost ten years old, I've been very happy with it, the couple of issues I've had were easily sorted, it helps that they're just up the road from me and I can call in.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #65 on: 23 February, 2018, 12:33:01 am »
I have to say that I am finding this rather interesting at the moment.

http://gb.hilleberg.com/EN/tent/yellow-label-tents/niak/

« Reply #66 on: 23 February, 2018, 07:28:15 am »
I have to say that I am finding this rather interesting at the moment.

http://gb.hilleberg.com/EN/tent/yellow-label-tents/niak/
I have been using one for 2 years now, and the four season version (Unna) for 10 years before that.  They are spacious one person or very tight 2 person tents, although I see Hilleberg now advertise the Niak as 2 person.  I like them because they are potentially freestanding and I can sit bolt upright inside.

Niak has a small vestibule, which is ok except it means that people can see you have stowed stuff there.  The Unna (fly walls go all the way down) has no vestibule but has increased space between inner and outer which makes fine storage for small bags, food etc.  With single occupancy, bags can be brought inside of course.   I find that when doing up the zip on the Niak, it is under tension which I do not think is optimum, not so much the case with the Unna.  I have had both tents in torrential rain with no problems and there is a good amount of space if you decide to stay in for the day.  The pack size and weight are I think very good with the Niak particularly, pack size is important to me.

« Reply #67 on: 23 February, 2018, 08:40:08 am »
My friend Martin (who has now been to Long Itch twice) uses one.  Being tall he finds it far more practical for him than an Akto which he is now selling - the Alto that is. 

His is in green which is much darker than the usual Hilleberg green. 

« Reply #68 on: 23 February, 2018, 11:57:26 am »
Green Hillebergs have been so dark they are almost verging on black for a few years now. Similarly recent "sand" tents are a regular brown, rather than the pale buffish sand colour you may see in the catalog or Hilleberg website.
Google for recent user photos, rather than check colours from Hilleberg, or shops (which almost all use Hilleberg's photos, which I'd guess mostly come from the testing period, and may be quite old even for newly released tents)

eg a "green" Niak
http://www.tgomagazine.co.uk/gear-editors-column/hilleberg-niak-tent/

« Reply #69 on: 24 February, 2018, 08:32:50 am »
That does look very nice Wow but it is a lot of money.  Have you been able to inspect one in the flesh?

« Reply #70 on: 24 February, 2018, 08:46:35 am »
Alpkit's Jaran II is a very similar weight, two porches and a third of the price!
That has to be a major plus and with Alpkit's legendary after sales service.

« Reply #71 on: 24 February, 2018, 06:09:17 pm »
Mrs Miggins and I will be visiting Alpkit at Hathersage tomorrow when I will endeavour to check out their tentage and report my findings.
I will also enquire about sleeping bags For the larger gent!

« Reply #72 on: 25 February, 2018, 05:31:09 pm »
Ok, we attended Alpkit, purveyors of things tentage and titanium.
They had a Jaran II pitched in the showroom.
It makes a very fine one person tent with plenty of room. It pitches tight with the fly sheet reaching close to the ground.
The inner does employ a fair amount of mesh but as this is designed as a 3 season tent, i don't see it as a problem.
I do like the versatility of the two porches.
I would definitely use a footprint as the tub groundsheet is pretty thin and easily damaged on rough ground.
It is unlikely to have the longevity of a Hilleberg, but is only a third of the price.
All things considered, I would consider it well worth the money.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #73 on: 26 February, 2018, 02:44:39 pm »
Alpkit's Jaran II is a very similar weight, two porches and a third of the price!
That has to be a major plus and with Alpkit's legendary after sales service.

I must admit I have never bought anything from Alpkit. What is their legendary after-sales service?

I notice that the Jaran's footprint is a lot lighter than the Niak's. The Niak is a lighter tent, but the weight difference between the two of tent + footprint is not a lot.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark