Author Topic: The Pennine Bridleway - Fully Loaded.  (Read 9718 times)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
Re: The Pennine Bridleway - Fully Loaded.
« Reply #25 on: 23 September, 2015, 10:18:48 am »
Two YACFers stomping grounds in one day, small world or is YACF a big community?

The Piethorne site was great, nice & small but with superb facilities.  I should have asked if one of the pods was available, it would have saved a lot of time next morning and probably kept me warmer, I was on the lower limit of my bag that night.

I should also update on the problems we had around  High & Low scale farms.  The route has been walked by the person responsible at North Yorks Council and all waymarkers are in place, I humbly apologised.  The route did change here a year or two ago and it is possible we used the old route, the new route is shown on the latest edition of the OS.  Actually, now I come to think about it we certainly did as the OS maps on Mr Bond's Garmin are older than that, we used it to stay on route (we thought) over Cow Hill.  I'll have to ask how old his paper copy is.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 23 September, 2015, 02:31:45 pm »
Two YACFers stomping grounds in one day, small world or is YACF a big community?

I think it's mostly a case of YACFers getting around a lot.

SoreTween

« Reply #27 on: 10 November, 2015, 08:38:57 pm »
Apologies for the delay, Real Life including a change of job has somewhat got in the way.  Hopefully the pictures to follow in a moment will help you forget the dark evening outside.  Writing up day 5 certainly helped me.

SoreTween

« Reply #28 on: 10 November, 2015, 08:39:16 pm »
Day 5 - Newhey to HayfieldCrowden

Time for a recap of how we are doing.  Four days in we have reached our intended location but have had to miss some sections to achieve it.  We had planned for day 3 to be short to give us time to do some kit washing, this didn't happen.  Our daily goals were too great.  On the plus side we still have a day in hand.

In the morning it was properly raining but the forecast was for it to improve around midday so we chose to burn part of our spare day.  I attempted to do some kit washing which was not particularly successful as the only way to dry it was in the site tumble drier.  None of the kit was tumbleable and the machine only had one heat setting (Inferno) so I had to keep opening the door to cool things down.  This avoided the gear becoming doll size but it didn't dry.  We paid up, packed up & left just short of midday.

We didn't retrace our steps to rejoin the bridleway, the path we came down would be damned hard work in hiking boots and no bike to push.  Instead we headed East past a string of reservoirs which was slightly naughtly as about 100 yards of the route was footpath and required us to lift the bikes over a gate.  Pretty immediately I began having trouble with my gears, the rain and grit had done for my chain. Speaking of rain it promptly returned.  Here's a few scenes showing a variety of surfaces.

Castleshaw reservoirs and Delph in the distance:

Mr Bond enjoying the fine weather (Fine as in fine incessant rain, the type that gets you wet through faster than you'd think)

A closer view of the lower reservoir

A few more miles and another hill brought us to Diggle wet and knackered.  Not as knackered as my chain though which was skipping.  A couple of horse riders directed us to follow the canal to find the Wooly Knit.  We locked our bikes up under resolutely leaden and leaking skies and headed inside to drip on another cafe floor.  Usual arrangement: tea, hot food, tea, cake, more tea.  After and hour to our considerable surprise looking outside we saw sunshine breaking through.

We elected to go back onto the canal towpath despite there being some steps to climb and a short and not too steep gravel slope to reach them.  As I put on the power to ascend the slope something in my drivetrain locked solid and I found myself on the ground a mangled heap of man & machine.  I'd been barely moving and somehow whatever had locked brought the bike to an instatanious halt.  So I picked myself up and rode a couple of circuits of the car park changing right up & down the gear range all of which worked if rather noisily. 

So knowing I'm going to need to be easy on the power until I can find a new chain I headed out of the car park again.  And immediately I hit the slope find myself in exactly the same mangled heap on the floor.  The slope and curve of the path and the speed of the event meant that I needed to dismount to the left.  This is a problem for me, I can't dismount left.  I dismount right or go splat. 

So I pick myself up again and as I'm standing the bike up I get that feeling of something running down the back of my legs:
Mild gore warning:
(click to show/hide)
Nice line of holes matching my chain ring on the right, no idea what impailed my left leg.  Ho hum.
After a short bout of hopping around and turning the air blue it was time for me to pack up my gear, find a station and head home.

Nah, don't be daft.  Get back on and get on with it.  Glad I did too, our luck was about to improve.

First, we got back on the canal towpath which turned out to be comfortably the most picturesque so far.  No time for pictures as I'm moving even slower than usual, we have a long way to go to reach our target for the day and we know there's nowhere to eat near tonights site.  After a short pedal we reached Uppermill where we find our 3 top needs next door to one another, a co-op for some tinned victuals, an old fashioned hardware shop for a tin of 3-in-1 and a cash point.
Onward and as ever upward and oh joy oh rapture the sun - the sun!

Mind, the going under tyre remained interesting:

Half an hour of such surfaces:

Brought us views that included aircraft descending into Manchester airport (out there somewhere, honest):

This gave me at least a lift, that meant we've covered an appreciable chunk of the country.  Told you things were looking up.
This turned out pleasingly arty:

Lots more plodding along brought us to an area miles from anywhere where some overhead high voltage lines were being replaced.  The aluminium temporary surface laid down to protect the hillside made for a very fast whiz downhill accompanied by an unusual sountrack.  All very interesting at the time but frustrating when we found ourselves in a field with nowhere to go.  More time lost pushing back uphill to find that the tw@t sat in his van presumably guarding the site (it's almost 19:00) had parked his van almost blocking and certainly blocking all sight of the route we should have taken.

Down the hill again, ford another stream and climb.  Given how late we were running I was lightly surprised when Mr Bond pulled up just after we got back onto a decent surface.  He, bless him, had spotted something:

Mmmm, scones - interesting!  Better yet a selection of freshly baked wares including (iirc, it's been a while now) cheese and potato pasties.  And I mean fresh, there was no way we were packing these to go, they'd have self destructed in moments.  They were even still warm and utterly delicious.  The sight of Mr Bond bouncing up & down like a 5 year old on a sugar rush shouting 'I love you!' towards the farmhouse will stick with me forever.  Turned out to be the home of these folk.  Three mountain bikers came haring by as we munched travelling far too fast to advise them of what they were missing - their loss.

One last shot for the day as we munched, the Sun is pretty low now:

Back in the saddle Tintwhistle quickly arrived, across the A628 Woodhead Pass and a climb up to the old railway bed.  Pastie fuelled rapid pedalling East then onto the Woodhead Pass for a short distance back West to get to the Crowden Caravan and Camping Club site.  Excellent facilities as ever with C&C.

Tents pitched in the near dark, Mr Bond muched upon heavily by flying bitey things of some sort and screams eminating from the shower block as the hot water runs down the back of my legs.  All part of lifes rich tapestry.

Almost forgot, dinner was a tin of stewed beef and another of veggies each with a couple of mini baguettes.  Superb it was.

Route planned: http://cycle.travel/map/journey/14123
Rooute taken: https://www.strava.com/activities/398351984

SoreTween

« Reply #29 on: 10 November, 2015, 08:52:20 pm »
Day 5.995 - Crowden

A postscript to the day.  Late that evening one last trip to the toilet block was called for.  I put my feet outside the tent and as I stood up in that rather awkward way one does exiting a low dew covered tent, just as the weight went onto my feet thare was an almightly crack from my left ankle.  I stood and found it was barely able to take my weight.  Not good, not good at all.

« Reply #30 on: 10 November, 2015, 10:16:59 pm »
Sounds like a great ride, one to add to my little list. What a cliff-hanger to end on though!

« Reply #31 on: 11 November, 2015, 10:11:07 am »
Great stuff. Great adventure.
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #32 on: 11 November, 2015, 10:20:02 am »
I want a scone now!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

SoreTween

« Reply #33 on: 12 January, 2016, 08:20:48 pm »
And so, what surely must be the most protracted ride report in the history of YACF lurches a step forwards.

Day 6 - Crowden to Blackwell

The day began early for me, woken in the wee small hours absolutely freezing cold.  Several cycles of clothes on, snooze a bit until I give in and find more clothes to put on.  Eventually I gave up totally still freezing cold.  My bag is rated down to 11 degrees, surely it cannot have been that cold in flippin August?  So I get up and very nearly fall straight over again.  My ankle is seized pretty much solid and it takes me a goodpainful 5 minutes to hobble the 50 yards to the bog block to try and warm up a bit in the drying room.

After half an hour or so I head outside and start hobbling about extremely unsure I'm going to be able to continue.  I have to get back on the bike even if it's only to get to a station so the daily routine begins.  Mr Bond emerges and asks for a slow start as his knees are suffering and so that he can do some maintenance such as fitting his new brake pads.  Phew!  In the end it takes 2 hours for me to cover the jobs that usually take a bit more than half that.  After those two hours though I'm mobile to the extent I can walk slowly rather than just step-swear-pause step-swear-pause.

While the pair of us are munching our granola we chat with a German couple also touring on bikes.  Apparanly it was 5 degrees inside their tent that night.  No wonder I suffered.

10:12 we tentatively head off and I'm pleasantly surprised to find the pain is pretty light when cycling.  Therefore we head towards Glossop where there's a Halfords that should provide a replacement for my poorly chain.  At least the weather is nice:

In Glossop Halfords provides:

And I'm becoming the painted man:

Chain fitted and not feeling too bad in the ankle we carry on though a tedious number of stops are needed to dial the new chain in.
Soon we're on a hilltop again soaking up the view:

The way ahead looks fun too:

And it was.

There had been much discussion over the days about the history under our wheels, these roads in many cases must be centuries old.  The effort, the investment in sweat that these roads represent for mile after mile after mile.  It makes an impression on you after many hours of quiet contemplation.  But much of the discussion was about what the roads were like way back when.  Mr Bond pointed out that they are too elaborate to be just year round access to grazing, a much narrower path would provide that.  Therefore they must have once been fit for carts and therefore again they must have been far smoother than their current condition.  At the foot of the drop from the hills above Hayfield we found a short stretch that perhaps gives a clue:

This point marked the end of a very pleasant descent of 160m or so, over in 9 minutes though compared to the 50 it took to climb.  The Sett Valley Trail, another disused railway bed, delivered us to Hayfield and the Roundhouse provided a hearty feed and gallons of tea.  We passed on the cake this time as the hot course was much larger than some of the stain-on-a-slate photos in their gallery would lead you to expect.  That and the cake servings passing by to brave customers were huge.  Vast even or perhaps epic.  Just the cream layer in the middle of the victoria sponge was an inch thick.  You'd need crampons, ice axes and possibly oxygen to tackle one.

We dragged ourselves away nervous of what lay ahead as we knew that even by the standards of the Pennine Bridleway the climb ahead was a bit of a monster.  A gentle climb on road out of town led towards, at gone 4 in the afternoon, where we originally planned to camp the previous night.  The climb rapidly became what was by some way the toughest, silliest bitch of a climb of the week.  I don't know what the gradient was on the early stretch, I couldn't keep moving long enough to get a reading off my GPS.  It has to have been 45 degrees in places, we were lifting the bikes as much as pushing them.  This photo looking back just doesn't do it justice:

Higher up the going is like this:

The view, once this berk gets out of the way, will be pretty special.  And thats only one third of the way up.

The climb seemed endless, particularly the parts I had to walk.  Near the top:

At the top we took a break as it was nice and sheltered.  A local looked on:

After taking an hour twenty to haul ourselves up the better part of 300 meters we had our second pleasingly long downhill stretch of the day, 160m in 11 minutes.  At the foot of which was yet another stream to ford marking the start of yet another climb:

The nice path through the stream didn't last:

40 minutes of climbing recovered most of the 160m.  At the top of this we crossed the Sheffield Road and found this sign:

As usual for us time was making better progress than we were so we could not investigate.
Ahead, as we caught our breath and took the above photo, lay a long tarmaced descent.  Great, fun times.  Except that I knew I was well on the way to spent so there was much checking of maps as once down I had my doubts about getting back up.  The printed route plan I was carrying suggested quite a long respite but we were by no means done climbing for the day.  We checked and satisfied tipped our wheels over the edge of the perversely named Rushup Road which we fair rushed down.  After a long stretch on road which tended to downhill the inevitable climb when it came still on road wasn't as bad as I feared. 

After passing through the small village of Wheston a section of pretty unpleasant cowshit covered farm tracks followed. Passing through one utter craphole of a farmyard I picked up a net of some kind in my chain which by the time I stopped had become a solid tangled mass around my cassette.  I feared the worst, a bent dropout.  Fatigue brought me close to a sense of humor failure, I was not in a good place.  Mr Bond broke out the old fashioned penknife he is never caught without and got hacking and in a few minutes work freed my steed and found no damage done.

Slogging on, and I really was slogging by now, we skirted the Buxton quarries.  That seemed to go on forever not helped by some of the weaker signage of the day needing quite a lot of map check stops.  Eventually we came to the vista of the Monsal Vale:

As I turned from taking this I fell flat on my arse, just fatigue causing coordination fail.
The descent into the valley was not for the feint of heart due to the drops but by now, even knackered, our handling of our unwieldy rides was up to the job.  Mr Bond experienced his first drivetrain event, a jumped chain wedged well in behind the granny ring.

We were crossing the vale so had yet another silly climb out.  By now I'm at the talkinggibbering to myself stage.  That climb seemed to take an age but the gpx shows it as only 12 minutes. Once out we had a short run to Beech Croft Farm.

At 20:40 as we rode into the farm I confirmed to Mr Bond what he surely must have known hours ago, I was utterly spent and it was his turn to do the thinking.  As he headed into the shop he missed me having a clipless moment, I just just lay there giggling until able to extricate myself.

There was a good range of comestibles on sale in the site shop from which we selected a fair pile.  As it was so late the till had been cashed up leaving the the owner to add up our sizeable list with pen and paper.  Many many minutes later on the 4th attempt he came up with a total he was satisfied with.  I'm not complaining at all, it's just one of those amusing situations in life, all we wanted to do was get on, get pitched before the light failed totally then showered and fed.  Halfway through the maths marathon we both wanted to just thrust beer tokens his way and run.  Lovely people though and a truly gorgeous site.

We were directed to the Duke of Edinburghs area of the site well away from anyone else and which we would have to ourselves, perhaps our aroma prompted this.
We pitched during which I ate a gazillion calorie flapjack that helped no end.  We showered.  We ate.  We looked at maps and began to realise that there was comparatively little left to do tomorrow.  Sure there was a hill to climb in the morning but nothing remotely like we'd experienced 'till now.  Are we actually going to get there?

Route planned: http://cycle.travel/map/journey/14125
Route taken: https://www.strava.com/activities/433959363

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #34 on: 13 January, 2016, 11:54:10 am »
the most protracted ride report in the history of YACF
But also one of the most delightful. In fact, it's good to have it serialised in this way, it gives little reminders in the winter gloom that there will be a summer.

« Reply #35 on: 13 January, 2016, 12:13:15 pm »
And I'm becoming the painted man:
Goodness.  :o

(I'm loving this, btw. Keep it coming  :thumbsup:)

« Reply #36 on: 13 January, 2016, 10:19:56 pm »
Are we actually going to get there?

My money's on you going back to finish at Easter, and the time between posts is designed that by the time you run out of pictures you'll be back out finishing the ride.  ;D

Still loving it. Hope the legs recovered from the "painting".

SoreTween

« Reply #37 on: 20 March, 2016, 09:16:38 pm »
Day 7 - Blackwell to home

So here we are at last.  Day 7.

The day began with another slow hobble to the toilet blocks for me but at least I knew that given time the ankle would loosen up.  I also had the cheering thought that there wasn't far to go.  Naturally this being the last morning was by far the finest of the week, here's a long overdue camp shot:

We packed up and got away at the slightly better time of just after 9.  Beech Croft Farm really is unbelievably handy for the bridleway so we were back on it in moments.  After a short slog of only 20 minutes we crested the first hill of the day.

This had great significance because this was also the last hill of the day and indeed the week.  Time to start grinning.

A sort run down the hill brought us to a section of major trail.  After five days of cobbled nightmare surfaces we were faced with this:

Bliss.  Not only smooth but downhill for miles ahead too.  We rolled along and not even an hour in stopped at Parsley Hay for bacon rolls.

Over breakfast we agreed that although Derby was within reach, just, neither of us really fancied it.  My injuries are well documented and Mr Bond was suffering badly with knees.  Decision made with all the time in the world to reach Matlock the grins went up a notch.

Taking advantage of our available time we stopped to look at a quarry cut for the construction of this:

And to take in the view:

Which all helped ratchet the grin up another notch.

For the first time on the trip there were people everywhere.  We couldn't help but chortle between ourselves at the grimaces on some of the faces of cyclists going the other way, up the 1:50 grade.  Thinking of the hills & surfaces behind us Mr Bonds words: 'They haven't a clue!'.

Just time for one more....

..before trail end comes at Middleton Top where a winding house stands at the head of a 1:8 incline.

Here's a pair of grinning idiots standing next to the route info board:

Tea options at Middleton Top were not good at all so we rolled on intending to go to Matlock.  Instead we found an excellent tea room right next to the Trail at Bolehill.  Here perusing the inevitable racks of tourist trap leaflets we found the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway ran from nearby most of the way to Derby.  Result!  In our books letting a steam train take the strain is in no way cheating.  A phone call confirmed they were running and could take bikes.  How we'd missed that in our meticulous planning I do not know.

Refreshed it only took a dozen turns of the pedals to get on the B5036 which was very downhill indeed to Wirksworth.  Tickets obtained we had an hour to kill before the next train which we easily achieved soaking up the sun in the rooftop terrace of the Red Lion.

The train was equipped with a remarkably effective and efficient stowage space we were permitted to put our bikes in.  Note how easily Mr Bond and Lady Fatarse fit through the doors and marvel at the cavernous space beyond.  Modern rail operators should try this.

The ride from Duffield to Derby was uneventful and moderately crap though the cyclepaths once in Derby were OK.  With the station in sight we paused for futher refreshment at The Brunswick Inn.  All too soon (given the selection in the Brunswick) it was time for me to head off, Mr Bond catching a slightly later train.

Route planned: http://cycle.travel/map/journey/14176 (utterly irrelevant as it was supposed to be a way to pass our 'spare' day)
Route taken: https://www.strava.com/activities/457916302 (need to figure out how to edit the trains out of that without losing the HR data)

Final thoughts in no particular order

We think southwards was the better way to do the the PB.  It put us into the prevailing wind which was significant on the early days.  Even so the further south we got the more options we had for food and accomodation.  This meant that as our plan for the week fell gently apart we had options.  If we'd gone North our options would have steadily decreased as our need for them increased.

I contacted the Trail Manager to report a dangerous gate and generally pass compliment on the trail.  In conversation I asked about the sign at Middleton Top and the stated aim for the PB to eventually reach 350 miles to Northumberland.  That is still the plan but don't anyone hold their breath, negotiations with land owners are :-X

The solitude is wonderful.  Over the first six days we saw about 15 other souls on the bridleway, most walking.  Of the cyclists we saw there was only one who might have been doing the bridleway (the one in the pissing rain near Ingleborough cave on day 3), he was sufficiently sane to be doing it without load.  The rest of the cyclists we saw were out for the evening near the major towns.  If you like your own space consider this.  The sane way we think is for a group to take turns driving to transfer the baggage for the group, everybody drives one day.

Mr Bonds knees recovered in a few weeks but Real Life has conspired to prevent much cycling since.  My ankle turned the corner from usually painful to usually not painful in January.  The NHS have had several looks at it and so far concluded that it's an ankle :-\  I'm slowly ramping the miles up and have my highest yearly total at this date since I started keeping records so all good so far.  Plans are afoot for something in 2017, either the Pennine Cycleway or a DIY attempt at the northern half of the route.  I'm not convinced this is a good idea but hey ho.  No, I lie, I am convinced this is a Bloody Stupid Idea™.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #38 on: 31 March, 2016, 11:49:16 am »
Completely jealous and, more importantly, inspired. I think I'm off to book myself some hols.