Author Topic: Cholesterol and all that gubbins...  (Read 47855 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Cholesterol and all that gubbins...
« Reply #175 on: 04 July, 2018, 09:09:09 am »
Dunno what the approach would be here. I do know that when an over-pricey US drug for migraine appeared ~15 years ago the Sécurité Sociale initially refused to cover it until the manufacturers got real.  It's now available at 21,75€ for 6 and the Sécu cover 65% of it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #176 on: 06 July, 2018, 03:30:14 pm »
Got out on the bike yesterday, 2 weeks after the operation. 
A gentle couple of laps round Richmond Park, missing out the hills, and easing off whenever my heart rate drifted above 100bpm.  Steady and sedate but it felt good to be mobile again!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #177 on: 06 July, 2018, 03:44:12 pm »
I know the feeling - great, isn't it?  Two weeks is fast - in 2008 they kept me off for almost 2 months, and it was just a stent.

« Reply #178 on: 11 July, 2018, 10:38:32 am »
I may get into trouble for going on the bike when I see the doctor on monday, but they told me to do walking to the point where I was almost getting out of breath. 

But I had good fitness before (was training for TCR) so, after a few days I could walk for hours, pushing a pram and up the local small hills, so the only way to get enough load to push my heart rate up was to get on the bike.  Still taking it gently, backing off when HR gets to 110.

8 weeks sounds like a very long time.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #179 on: 11 July, 2018, 11:06:38 am »
It felt that way too.  Then when I got back I followed their dietary strictures and had my first really bad dose of bonk. Great stuff.

« Reply #180 on: 17 July, 2018, 07:55:27 am »
I had my follow up with the cardiac surgeon yesterday.  Mostly ok but downside is I have to have another angiogram as it appears that one of the stents put in was too small and it needs a bigger one.  They'll also check out the bypass while they are in there. 

Good that they are following up on things but I'm a bit disappointed to have to have another procedure!

Doctor was pleased when I said I'd been doing 2 hours per day cycling or walking, although he then did go on about how dangerous it was to cycle on the road.  He then said he used to live in Copenhagen, which put his comments into context.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #181 on: 17 July, 2018, 08:39:29 am »
Tell him to keep off the road until he's done treating you.

Bit of a bugger with the undersized stent.  I wasn't aware that they could swap them out - or are they going to thread it with a collapsed one and expand it forcibly? Seems dodgy.

« Reply #182 on: 17 July, 2018, 09:17:57 am »
Yes, I'll know more when I speak to the cardiologist - the one who actually does the stenting.  The story yesterday was that the artery turned out to be bigger than he expected it to be once he got inside with the small stent.   It seems a bit weird, and I've not seen anything similar in a bit of googling. 

I don't think the small stent will come out: I expect once they have been expanded they are stuck in there, at least until the worms arrive!

« Reply #183 on: 17 July, 2018, 05:40:36 pm »
The story yesterday was that the artery turned out to be bigger than he expected it to be once he got inside with the small stent.

You'd think they'd have a slack handful of different sizes ready wouldn't you?

Anyhow, hope it all goes well @Frank9755.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

« Reply #184 on: 22 August, 2018, 02:48:25 pm »
Turned out it wasn't that at all.  The cardiac surgeon had got the wrong end of the stick. 

The issue was that where the bypass rejoins the main artery it was very narrow.  But I had another angiogram last Friday and it all now looks fine.  They test the pressure difference either side of the narrowing and when they find it is within a % or two, it is fine (apparently they only consider a stent if there is at least a 10% reduction in pressure).

So I am now all clear to do whatever I did before this all cropped up and should have no greater risk than is normal for age, gender, etc.  Once I get off the calcium channel blockers in another months' time, my heart rate should go back up to previous levels and I should be all set, just in time for winter!

simonp

« Reply #185 on: 22 August, 2018, 03:07:33 pm »
Sounds like a great outcome.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #186 on: 22 August, 2018, 04:12:21 pm »
Certainly a great outcome compared to the alternative. It was a bit of a bugger missing out on your main goal this year, so commiserations for that.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #187 on: 23 August, 2018, 08:42:22 am »
Great news Frank9755. Winter miles = summer smiles and all that bollox eh?  :thumbsup:

« Reply #188 on: 28 August, 2018, 03:09:23 pm »
Just got results back from doc:

7.2 total

4.5LDL
I've just had a thorough workup under the company health scheme. Detailed Cholesterol test results:
Hba1c 33 mmol/mol
Total cholesterol 5.37 mmol/L
LDL cholesterol 2.89 mmol/L
HDL cholesterol 1.14 mmol/L
Triglycerides 2.96 mmol/L
Total/HDL ratio 4.7

I can only compare the figures in bold, and I need to work on the total/HDL ratio. However, that is still a heck of an improvement. All via diet.
Need to get the HDL up.

Other parts of the health test showed that I have small lungs (for height/weight), a VO2 Max that puts me in the 90th percentile for my age bracket (decent, considering I only get exercise twice a week) and a grip strength that is above the top bracket for all age groups. Heart ecg thingy was normal.

Surprisingly, because I look 'slim', I'm a bit 'thick around the middle' for my height. Could do with losing a bit of fat from the kidney area.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #189 on: 28 August, 2018, 08:10:43 pm »
Well done!

« Reply #190 on: 29 August, 2018, 08:25:03 am »
smart work mrcharly-YHT. Are you getting any pressure to go on statins?

« Reply #191 on: 29 August, 2018, 09:30:23 am »
smart work mrcharly-YHT. Are you getting any pressure to go on statins?
Not any more.

Given family history, the doctor thought it would be sensible to get a calcium coronary heart score; I'm going to see if my health cover will pay for it.

The V02 max test stopped when my heart rate reached 80% of 'maximum'; 140. I felt like I was just getting going. When I use the cross trainer at the gym, I usually do 20-30min at a heart rate of 160. That feels to be about the same intensity as the regular kayak club intervals sessions, which go on for 60-90 minutes (including warmup/cooldown).
So I don't have too many worries about heart health. Reckon my heart is having to make up for small lung capacity.

They put a lot of emphasis on exercise affecting cholesterol levels now. Kept saying that intensity, not quantity, had a significant effect. Sustained, intense exercise is supposed to help (so cycling hill-climbing is going to be good).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #192 on: 29 August, 2018, 12:08:15 pm »
They put a lot of emphasis on exercise affecting cholesterol levels now. Kept saying that intensity, not quantity, had a significant effect. Sustained, intense exercise is supposed to help (so cycling hill-climbing is going to be good).

That is interesting.  I had always assumed - based on nothing - that large amounts of moderate exercise - like audax - would have the best effect but it appears I was wrong.

« Reply #193 on: 29 August, 2018, 03:15:11 pm »

Maximal effort has been shown to increase levels of HDL for 'amateur' cyclists:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0955286303000524

Endurance efforts increase or have no effect on LDL levels.

So more interval training (ulp) for me.

He said, several times, that it was a really good thing for me, to be doing this sort of training with people much younger than me.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

simonp

« Reply #194 on: 29 August, 2018, 04:54:54 pm »
http://theconversation.com/from-diarrhoea-to-heart-damage-ultra-endurance-sports-put-a-huge-strain-on-the-body-79375

Rowing training been similar for me: a lot of high intensity work (e.g. 6x500m intervals on the rowing machine or water). Or the dreaded 10x1m:1r.

And I am 17 years older than the next oldest person in our crew, and racing against people as young as 30 years younger than me.

« Reply #195 on: 29 August, 2018, 08:47:46 pm »
Mmmmmm................. as I've got older I've moved away from short intense efforts. Mebbe it's time to get back on the chain gang wi the young uns or at least blow the cobwebs off the turbo trainer.

« Reply #196 on: 19 December, 2018, 02:03:35 pm »
Total cholesterol in February was 10 which prompted a retest in March when it was 9. Both readings dangerously high apparently and I don't have the breakdown figures because at that point I didn't realise there was anything other than a total cholesterol measure.

After three months of drastic lifestyle changes the figures are now:

Total cholesterol    5.2
HDL cholesterol     1.7
LDL cholesterol      3.2
triglycerides           0.75

which is loads better.

However, to get it down this much I've given up red meat, all dairy products, fried food and (almost) alcohol. So, no pizzas, no pork pies, no cakes and no chips - all my favourite foods. The only fats in my diet now come from fish, nuts and avocados. I've lost 35lbs in those three months.

The doctor is concerned that it's still a high level of cholesterol and doubts I can maintain my current lifestyle but I'm not going on statins and there will be a retest in six months.

After another six months of healthy living it looks like I've stabilised. Latest figures are:
Total cholesterol    5.1
HDL cholesterol     1.7
LDL cholesterol      2.9
triglycerides           1.19

I've lost another seven pounds too. Just need to be careful not to overindulge at Christmas now.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #197 on: 10 May, 2019, 04:52:40 pm »
I was given statins & aspirin to take in January. Last week I had a fasting blood test to see how things were going. I've just been for the results. All I was told was that I had a cholesterol level of 3 (down from 5.1). Doc said "This is very good, and most unusual."

Reading through some of this thread, it seems as though I should have asked for a bit more information. Presumably this figure of 3 is some sort of ratio, but I'm too much of an ignoramus to know what. Up until relatively recently, I've always considered that being unhealthy is what other people do and I don't need to bother myself about all that stuff.

Can someone elucidate in moron's language, please?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #198 on: 10 May, 2019, 07:59:00 pm »
I am no expert but in general terms:

Total cholesterol should be 5 or less.
HDL is 'good'
LDL is 'bad'.
Triglycerides are bad in excess.

There is an optimal HDL:LDL ratio I can't recall and CnBA to look up. JonJo's results seem fairly sound to me but ICnBA to check.

I think my results were fine with a total of 4.7 when checked and ratios within the ideal range but I'm FAR too lazy to unearth them. In truth, I think problems with this are unlikely to affect me so I'll try to keep my diet, weight and blood pressure sensible.

« Reply #199 on: 11 May, 2019, 10:17:50 am »
What can happen with LCHF diets is that the good cholesterol goes up and gives a spuriously high total but a better than good ratio. If the person giving you advice does not understand then the advice given is wrong.

My wife ended up being offered statins in exactly this situation.