Author Topic: RIP Leicester Critical Mass (2010-2023)  (Read 3239 times)

RIP Leicester Critical Mass (2010-2023)
« on: 26 February, 2023, 05:34:39 pm »
Just seen this on Facebook:

Leicester Critical Mass 2010-2023
This post has been a while coming, but LCM is cycling off into the sunset. We won’t be promoting any more rides.
The number of riders has been declining for a while, particularly since Covid. The fact is that there are a lot fewer people than previously who want to meet up for a ride around the city on a Friday evening.
Still, we had a blast, and we hope you did too. We’d love it if shared your favourite LCM memories, photos and so on here.
Cycling still matters to us: maybe one day LCM or something like it will come back, but until then, you’ll find us with our feet on the pedals.
Cheers
LCM Admins

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: RIP Leicester Critical Mass (2010-2023)
« Reply #1 on: 27 February, 2023, 02:04:08 pm »
Facebook killed Birmingham Critical Mass too, well before the pandemic.

« Reply #2 on: 01 March, 2023, 01:51:38 pm »
Down here in the Peoples Republic of Stroud we have a monthly family ride from Brimscombe Mills to the Farmers market (yeah it's a bit middle class I know), it came out of the Cargo bikes group on whatsapp and seems to be growing in numbers each month.  What probably helps is one of the local Bike groups pays for the coffee at the long table and it's not a very long or hilly ride into town.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #3 on: 01 March, 2023, 02:38:00 pm »
On the other hand, I believe Edinburgh Critical Mass is doing well https://twitter.com/cyclingedin/status/1629584172472848385 176 people according to this tweet.

« Reply #4 on: 01 March, 2023, 04:07:38 pm »
BCM is dead?
I believe there is a kiddical mass in the heath of the king...
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #5 on: 01 March, 2023, 04:46:07 pm »
As someone living on the edge of Leicester the CM in the city has barely crossed my radar.

I had seen it mentioned (somewhere?) as a fun city centre event, but not in recent years.
The Leicester CM didn't seem to have much of a social media (or even media) presence - I wonder if it morphed into a few mates going to the pub by bike on a Friday evening (and nowt wrong with that)
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #6 on: 01 March, 2023, 04:51:58 pm »
As someone living on the edge of Leicester the CM in the city has barely crossed my radar.

I had seen it mentioned (somewhere?) as a fun city centre event, but not in recent years.
The Leicester CM didn't seem to have much of a social media (or even media) presence - I wonder if it morphed into a few mates going to the pub by bike on a Friday evening (and nowt wrong with that)

https://www.facebook.com/leicester.criticalmass

2.9k followers.

I attended a few of them many years ago.  There were 100+ people there with sound systems, themed fancy dress etc.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #7 on: 01 March, 2023, 05:09:49 pm »
Strangely, CM is coming to Derby!
Yay.
Last Saturday of each month.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 01 March, 2023, 06:33:17 pm »
BCM is dead?

As far as I know.  I haven't gone to look for it for a while.

The problem was that a core group of regulars started a Facebook group, and after a while fell into the trap of thinking that the Facebook group *was* BCM.  So one day they changed the meeting time/location, for what was undoubtedly some reasonable reason (moaning bishops, construction work, Christmas Sodding Market, whatever), with the predictable result of decimating the attendance, because most people aren't actually on Facebook.

I believe there is a kiddical mass in the heath of the king...

That seems to be doing somewhat better.  I've even been on a couple of them (once completely by accident, which is surely the best way to end up on a critical mass ride).

« Reply #9 on: 02 March, 2023, 12:53:05 am »
That seems to be doing somewhat better.  I've even been on a couple of them (once completely by accident, which is surely the best way to end up on a critical mass ride).
Indeed, as dog intended
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 03 April, 2023, 09:18:50 pm »
https://youtu.be/ePkMz_p9QQo

This is Bristol, not Leicester – and it's not Critical Mass, but it seems to do the same job!

(It's "drum n bass on the bike with Dom Whiting")
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.