Author Topic: Shandy  (Read 6766 times)

Shandy
« on: 26 October, 2016, 08:33:19 am »
Yesterday coming to the end f an eight mile walk with Mrs Pcolbeck and the dog in the Dales we were very thirsty and discussing what we should get to drink. A sudden inspiration hit me - shandy!
I haven't had a shandy for ages but a pint of shandy made with Theakstons Best Bitter in Masham went down a treat..

Sometimes Shandy is too sweet, I think it needs a proper traditional bitter for it to work and the Theakstons was just right.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Re: Shandy
« Reply #1 on: 26 October, 2016, 06:09:10 pm »
A pint of bitter shandy is my drink of choice on ride pub lunchstops. Just the right combination for rehydration and energy!

I do not usually drink beer otherwise.

« Reply #2 on: 26 October, 2016, 06:13:04 pm »
Shandy is the only alcoholic drink I ever buy in a pub - and then only on a very hot summers day. However, I'm afraid I prefer lager shandy - I agree it hits the rehydration/ energy sweet spot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3 on: 26 October, 2016, 06:23:27 pm »
Radler.

« Reply #4 on: 26 October, 2016, 07:31:01 pm »
Whenever my local Lidl have cans of radler in I stock up; at 50p/500ml it's cheap as chips, and hits the spot rather well for post-ride rehydration.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5 on: 26 October, 2016, 07:44:22 pm »
Anyone remember Top Deck shandy?  It was sold in sweet shops but was 0.5% proof.  As young teenagers we used to try to drink enough to see  what being pissed was like.  We never managed to do it.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ian

« Reply #6 on: 26 October, 2016, 08:04:25 pm »
Anyone remember Top Deck shandy?  It was sold in sweet shops but was 0.5% proof.  As young teenagers we used to try to drink enough to see  what being pissed was like.  We never managed to do it.

See also Miller Genuine Draft.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #7 on: 26 October, 2016, 08:37:43 pm »

Careful! You'll get accused of being a bigot!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

ian

« Reply #8 on: 26 October, 2016, 09:09:36 pm »
Well, I meant that it doesn't work. Once-upon-a-time in the West I grabbed an entire case of MGD for a party. A friend and I drank it all. I think we may have done a kegstand or two also.

The only effect was a frequent and pressing need to visit the bathroom. I was gushing water like the Trevi Fountain. Admittedly it wasn't as bad as the time in Madison, WI, where for reasons best known to my host, we were drinking 36 fluid ounce beers. That's a bucket full of Milwaukee effluent. In the town that's basically the bits between lakes. God good, I could have quelled some significant urban unrest with just the contents of my bladder. I was looking for towering infernos to douse.

It's like that thing as a kid where you think that if you eat enough chocolate liquors you'll get pissed. Eventually, you realise it's better to slowly drain the antique bottle of Cherry Brandy that would usually shun even the booziest attention at the back of the booze cabinet.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 27 October, 2016, 12:24:38 am »

One of my schoolmates regularly drank Top Deck with his lunch.

It had no discernible effect.

« Reply #10 on: 27 October, 2016, 04:31:58 pm »
Turbo shandy, lager + alcopop of your choice.

A shandy more alcoholic than straight lager.

I hadn't seen people order shandy in years, until it came back this year, I had a friend who still ordered lager tops, but that's still not as retro as lager and lime.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #11 on: 27 October, 2016, 05:33:47 pm »
You still get hung over after mainlining foul USAnian mainstream BEER Product, though, because Kemilkulz or something.

Look, it was free, m'kay?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #12 on: 27 October, 2016, 11:03:39 pm »
Rarely visiting a pubbe without car keys I am quite used to drinking shandy. However I recal a withering look from a certain member of the NTR Massive when I asked if Gun Dog could be put to such a use . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #13 on: 28 October, 2016, 12:39:42 am »
Many years ago, in a different life, I sat down for a pre meeting meeting in a Birmingham pub with the lighting designer of an American band.
Me:. "OK.  What would you like to drink?
Him:. "Can I have a Guinness shandy?"
Me:.  :o "Er, sorry, but you're going have to ask for that."

What were those cartoons years ago?  "The man who ......"

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14 on: 28 October, 2016, 09:48:25 am »
Bateman, IIRC.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #15 on: 28 October, 2016, 10:03:26 am »

That's going to ruin a nice glass of lemonade.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #16 on: 28 October, 2016, 10:31:26 am »

That's going to ruin a nice glass of lemonade.

It was surprisingly difficult to construct.  Fair play to the bar woman who stuck with it and managed to produce almost a pint.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #17 on: 28 October, 2016, 10:38:32 am »
You could probably float the guinness on the lemonade.  You can certainly float it on cider.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

ian

« Reply #18 on: 28 October, 2016, 10:50:32 am »
You could probably float the guinness on the lemonade.  You can certainly float it on cider.

Hmm, the 'black and tan' is ubiquitous in the US (even more so, oddly, in 'Irish bars'). Guinness layered on Harp lager. Yes, Harp.

There's all kinds of other horrid layered drink concoctions.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #19 on: 28 October, 2016, 12:34:06 pm »

Hmm, the 'black and tan' is ubiquitous in the US (even more so, oddly, in 'Irish bars'). Guinness layered on Harp lager. Yes, Harp.

There's all kinds of other horrid layered drink concoctions.

Guinness floating on cider was known in my youth as a "buffalo fudge".  If you dumped a double Southern Comfort in it it became a "hairy buffalo fudge".  A quick try with Google reveals that the usage isn't at all common!

My younger brother gained the nickname Buffalo Bill after passing out after a night on those.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #20 on: 28 October, 2016, 01:12:04 pm »
Guinness and black(currant cordial) or Guinness with a shot of pernod were the acceptable starter drinks for the budding underage drinker in the pre alcopop days. It showed you were a cut above the snakebite and black crowd. Made as equally colourful mess when you upchucked though.

ian

« Reply #21 on: 28 October, 2016, 01:24:28 pm »
Oh good god. Pernod and black. 30p a shot, Liverpool University Student Union, early nineties. The streets ran purple.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #22 on: 28 October, 2016, 01:31:24 pm »

Top Deck did a cider & lemonade or limeade or something too.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

rr

« Reply #23 on: 28 October, 2016, 01:32:44 pm »
I knew a girl who drank purple nasties -- snake bite with a Pernod and black for good measure.
I also remember pouring a Guinness shandy -- took ages

« Reply #24 on: 28 October, 2016, 01:52:14 pm »
or Guinness with a shot of pernod were the acceptable starter drinks for the budding underage drinker
Such things aren't necessarily limited to apprentice drinkers - there was a brief fad for cider (Old Rosie) and pernod in my almost local a year or so ago, amongst a group of fairly hardened drinkers known as the beer monsters.