Author Topic: Pressure cooker recipes -2016 redux  (Read 4138 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Pressure cooker recipes -2016 redux
« on: 28 January, 2009, 02:52:46 pm »
I've just started to use a pressure cooker to make soup, my first attempt was tattie, neep & butternut squash soup which turned out ok after I'd sieved it. :thumbsup:
Anyone want to share any good ones they've made in a pressure cooker?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Pressure cooker soup recipes
« Reply #1 on: 28 January, 2009, 11:19:13 pm »
My mum used to make a cracking Vichyssoise in the winters when we were little.

We never 'ad any o' that poncy cold soup thoughbut. It was always served hot with lots of salt'n'pepper and thick, crusty bread.

She didn't strain it, after the leeks and potatoes were cooked it was liquidised on the back of an industrial Kenwood mixer and had a cracking consistency, not bitty and not blitzed like in a modern food processer.

I've just had a thought. . . maybe that was what attracted me to this -

Things to make you go 'Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm'
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #2 on: 30 January, 2009, 02:01:07 pm »
I've never found the pressure cooker that much better than a saucepan for soup, especially when you factor in cooling down time (I know, run the cold tap over it). I make the stock in the pressure cooker but usually uae a pan for the soup itself.

Having said that lentil soup and leek and potato soup can be made sucessfully, but watch for the lentils catching.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 01 February, 2009, 04:29:16 pm »

« Reply #4 on: 01 February, 2009, 05:22:30 pm »
Not for pressure cooker but ..

1kg raw beetroot
1 lemon
salt & pepper
creme fraiche
watercress

Cut beetroot in rough chunks, put in roasting tin, drizzle with 2 - 3 tbs oil, roast in pre heated (220 for our fan oven) for 40 - 45 mins.

Liquidize with 800 - 1000 ml water and zest of juice of lemon.

Reheat when needed, swirl a spoon of creme fraiche and make it look pretty with watercress.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Re: Pressure cooker recipes -2016 redux
« Reply #5 on: 26 December, 2016, 06:48:23 pm »
So, not just soup but what else do you make?

I currently make the East African Spiced Lentil recipe here in a normal pan but I find it take ages for the lentils to get nice and mushy (way more than 30 blinking minutes anyway).
How would you reduce the liquid and cooking time to do this in a PC (old style Prestige aluminium stove top)?

« Reply #6 on: 27 December, 2016, 11:09:06 am »
I wouldn't reduce the liquid too much. I do a dhal in the PC as, like you, I find the chana take ages more than the recipe claims in a conventional pan. 10 minutes at high pressure, cool down then break them up with a whisk. If it's too sloppy I'll chuck in a few red lentils which do break down quickly and will thicken it up nicely.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 28 December, 2016, 03:30:15 pm »
Hmm. So I took the usual recipe,  left out 1/4 of the water and left out the tinned tomatoes. 4 mins at high and I had a pan full of stodge that the bottom had just started to catch on. Now in a normal pan (minus the burnt bits) with the remaining water and the tinned tomatoes.  Will see how that tastes for dinner tonight. Looks a bit like baby food currently  :sick:

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 05 January, 2017, 09:38:28 pm »
Hmm. So I took the usual recipe,  left out 1/4 of the water and left out the tinned tomatoes. 4 mins at high and I had a pan full of stodge that the bottom had just started to catch on. Now in a normal pan (minus the burnt bits) with the remaining water and the tinned tomatoes.  Will see how that tastes for dinner tonight. Looks a bit like baby food currently  :sick:

Next time I try that I'll add boiling water instead of cold and not put the lid on until the whole pan is boiling and had a stir.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #9 on: 05 January, 2017, 09:39:20 pm »
Today I made curried parsnip soup. 10 mins on high P rather than 1 hour at atmospheric :)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #10 on: 06 January, 2017, 04:22:10 pm »
...So, not just soup but what else do you make?...
These days nothing, my cooker is sitting in the garage gathering dust, but when I was a PSO my standard pressure cooker recipe was (sort of) stovies. Dead simple; cheap meat*, thickly sliced peeled spuds, sliced onions, salt & pepper.  And if you're lazy no need to peel the spuds.  Adjust proportion of spuds and onion to meat according to how recently the grant cheque was cashed and number of visits to the union bar since.  I know I used to do them at 15lb psi (Prestige Hi-Dome) but I'm damned if I can remember how long for.  I daresay it can't have been more than 10 or 15 minutes at that pressure.

Not really suitable for fine dining, but filling.

*Anything really, except corned beef cos that just gives you a very thick meat flavoured potato soup.  Sausages cut into pieces was probably the cheapest variant, but real meat like diced pork chops or maybe diced rabbit when I had cash to spare.

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #11 on: 06 January, 2017, 07:39:42 pm »
I was thinking that rather than my usual pork cheek ragu taking a several of hours on the hob and oven I might try it in the PC. Got to be a significant energy saving on that...

« Reply #12 on: 06 January, 2017, 08:50:50 pm »
I was thinking similar for an oxtail ragu.

(Vaguely related, I believe St. Heston of Blumenthal recommends a pressure cooker for beef stock production)

« Reply #13 on: 06 January, 2017, 09:33:57 pm »
I doubt you'd get the richness if you used a PC for normally slow-cooked ragu.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14 on: 06 January, 2017, 10:36:58 pm »
Well I suppose I should find out, being a scientist and all!

« Reply #15 on: 11 January, 2017, 12:59:53 am »
We've had & used a pressure cooker (Prestige hi-dome) for nearly 4 1/2 decades. It's still in use.

Main uses now are: -
Rendering bones for stock. I had a tradition of using the Christmas turkey bones as the basis for french onion soup.That's more opportunist now.

Recalcitrant vegetables like beetroot (& yes I like raw beetroot as a salad vegetable, but cooking big roots needs serious technology). Big beet can need 40+mins at 15psi gauge (to revert to obselescent units). OTOH small young beet only need 10 mins.

Dried pulses. Most are best cooked after soaking overnight plus daytime, though not lentils. My favourite source is a cookbook called "the Complete Book of PRESSURE COOKING" published in 1977. It has a nice recipe for chilli beans (haricots), which needed a fair amount of experimentation to cope with the complexities of fresh chillies. I'm not sure about copyright issues, otherwise I'd provide more details.

Cooking dried pulses is slow. Personal technique makes a huge difference to the rate at which water boils off. Sadly the age of the seals (including the rubber of the Prestige safety valve) is part of that complexity. There is IMHO no substitute for trial & error, though while excess cooking water is useful vegetable stock, I don't have a recipe for burnt beans.

I'll add a recipe stolen from my daughter-in-law, who doesn't have a pressure cooker, but has a lot more bright ideas than I.

Ingredients.
120g chick peas
1 medium butternut squash.
Half a dozen tomatoes, maybe 600g
1 small onion
1 garlic clove
¾tsp (about 4 ml in 20th century units) turmeric
¼ tsp ground cumin.

Soak chickpeas overnight & until evening meal. Rinse.

Cook chick peas in fesh water at 15psig for 30 min. I now use 800g water, but YMMV.
Meanwhile, peel & chop butternut squash into 1-2cm chunks. Put on one side until chickpeas have cooked. Chop onion roughly & peel garlic.
When the chick peas have cooked, let (or persuade) pressure cooker (to) cool. Drain peas into a sieve, with a suitable container underneath to hang on to the cooking juices
Put some "pea" water back back into pressure cooker - suggest 200g. Bring to boil & add chopped butternut squash & cook at 15psig for 5 min. This is a cooking procedure that needs stirring halfway through, but I haven't yet found a perfect solution with a pressure cooker. In our house, the less well cooked chunks of squash are left for a bit more cooking on the morrow.

In parallel soft fry onions for 5-10 mins; add garlic late in that frying.
Meanwhile cut up tomatoes, I like octants, but rough chunks taste the same.
When the squash has cooked, cool, add onions & garlic, tomatoes, spices & salt & pepper, maybe some "pea" water. Bring back to boil & cook for 15 min unpressurised, but with the lid on.

That's enough for 3 meals for 2 of us. Brown (basmati) rice accompanies nicely, as do kale & purple sprouting broccoli They're not pressure cooked.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #16 on: 11 January, 2017, 01:12:15 am »
Ummmm... I thought chilli beans were red kidney beans and haricot beans were those smaller, white things that were used as baked beans???

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #17 on: 11 January, 2017, 02:57:41 pm »
Ummmm... I thought chilli beans were red kidney beans and haricot beans were those smaller, white things that were used as baked beans???

Depends what you mean by 'chilli beans' - most people add kidney beans to a chilli con carne, but if you're making frijoles then haricots would be a passable substitute for pinto beans and probably would have been more widely available in 1977.

Frijoles is an excellent recipe to make in a pressure cooker, by the way. Likewise frijoles negro with black (turtle) beans.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #18 on: 11 January, 2017, 09:46:07 pm »
Chillies are not pulses, so not beans. The name "chilli beans" came from the cookbook. Think chilli sin carne. Or even "5-bean chilli", which is about as close as J.D.Wetherspoons pubs get to fresh vegetables these days  :o .

Same book thought that haricots were a group of beans including butter beans, baked beans, blackeye beans, kidney beans, red beans. I'll add Borlotti beans, which is what I usually use. I'm not a biologist, so have no idea whether that is valid taxonomy. As far as the cookbook goes, the rule is 20-30 mins cooking at 15psig. The longer time is for the bigger ones, like butter beans. I use 20 min for Borlotti.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #19 on: 11 January, 2017, 10:06:23 pm »
Same book thought that haricots were a group of beans including butter beans, baked beans, blackeye beans, kidney beans, red beans. I'll add Borlotti beans, which is what I usually use. I'm not a biologist, so have no idea whether that is valid taxonomy. As far as the cookbook goes, the rule is 20-30 mins cooking at 15psig. The longer time is for the bigger ones, like butter beans. I use 20 min for Borlotti.

That does sound like an ersatz 70s version of frijoles to me.

Pinto beans would be more authentic but they're all much of a muchness - pinto, borlotti, kidney, haricot/baked/navy, black/turtle. All varieties of the same thing.

Butter beans, black-eyed beans and red/aduki beans are not.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."