Author Topic: Helicomatic hub  (Read 3713 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Helicomatic hub
« on: 23 December, 2008, 01:48:11 pm »
I've just bought an early Peugeot Triathlon bike and on taking the back wheel off found it to have a Helicomatic hub ... with a strange splined freewheel. 

I can't understand how it all works with the lock ring etc, but that doesn't matter as I have some other wheels to rebuild the bike.

Sheldon has some harsh words to say about them ....

Just thought I'd share that with you  - 40 years+ of messing with bikes and I've never seen anything like it before.

Rob

... oh, what do you reckon it would sell for on eBay ?  ;D

Zoidburg

Re: Helicomatic hub
« Reply #1 on: 23 December, 2008, 06:09:35 pm »
The heliomatc works thus

The hub body is a fore runner of the cassette system we now know and love/hate(delete acordingly)

Its like an ordinary screw on hub with bearings in the same place, onto that is fixed a splined body that the freewheel goes on, the difference being from a cassette is that the splines are very fine and run in a helical pattern like the rifling of a gun barrel

You slide the freewheel over the splines and then use the knurled lockring to lock it in place, forward pressure on the drive train pushes the freewheel down against hub body ensuring a that the freewhhel stays put and doesnt attempt to come off on its own

The upside of this design is that the freewheel locking its self into the hub body under drive means that the lock ring will hold the freewheel in place safely with little more than finger tightening of the lock ring, this makes them very easy to change in the field with out any major tools

Sadly the whole system is a bit fragile as all the splines are too fine and the moving parts on too small a scale for them to be robust and reliable

If you upscaled it it would work very well indeed

Edit - They are a doddle to remove, just use a mole grip on the lock ring, you dont need a lot of pressure, its easy to see how it works once you take it to bits

robgul

« Reply #2 on: 23 December, 2008, 06:25:23 pm »
The heliomatc works thus

The hub body is a fore runner of the cassette system we now know and love/hate(delete acordingly)

Its like an ordinary screw on hub with bearings in the same place, onto that is fixed a splined body that the freewheel goes on, the difference being from a cassette is that the splines are very fine and run in a helical pattern like the rifling of a gun barrel

You slide the freewheel over the splines and then use the knurled lockring to lock it in place, forward pressure on the drive train pushes the freewheel down against hub body ensuring a that the freewhhel stays put and doesnt attempt to come off on its own

The upside of this design is that the freewheel locking its self into the hub body under drive means that the lock ring will hold the freewheel in place safely with little more than finger tightening of the lock ring, this makes them very easy to change in the field with out any major tools

Sadly the whole system is a bit fragile as all the splines are too fine and the moving parts on too small a scale for them to be robust and reliable

If you upscaled it it would work very well indeed

Edit - They are a doddle to remove, just use a mole grip on the lock ring, you dont need a lot of pressure, its easy to see how it works once you take it to bits

Indeed - I have the freewheel block off now ....  you can see why it's so fragile ... the "splines" are very fine ... in fact they look slightly chewed on the one I have..... perhaps I can recycle the rather reasonable, low mileage by the look of it, rim.

Rob

Zoidburg

« Reply #3 on: 23 December, 2008, 06:32:02 pm »
I am a wee bit sad for knowing exactly how one works :-[

And how to take it to bits :'(

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 24 December, 2008, 12:20:58 am »
Helicomatic bearings are a little odd also.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5 on: 24 December, 2008, 09:24:08 am »
And the official Maillard lockring tool incorporated a bottle opener ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #6 on: 30 December, 2008, 07:14:17 pm »
And a spoke nipple tool, here is mine, my LBS were giving these away to regulars about 15 years ago:

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq215/larfandsing/maillard.jpg

border-rider

« Reply #7 on: 30 December, 2008, 07:18:00 pm »
A Famous Scottish Audaxer was brave enuff to ride PBP03 on one.  It was polite enough to wait until we were riding home afterwards to have a complete failure.  After much time-wasting buggerage with cable ties etc, we flagged down a passing chap and got him a lift to the nearest town to buy a new back wheel.

robgul

« Reply #8 on: 30 December, 2008, 08:20:37 pm »
A Famous Scottish Audaxer was brave enuff to ride PBP03 on one.  It was polite enough to wait until we were riding home afterwards to have a complete failure.  After much time-wasting buggerage with cable ties etc, we flagged down a passing chap and got him a lift to the nearest town to buy a new back wheel.

.... he could have look on eBay right now for a replacement ... I've got mine on there (on a 5p listing day), you never know ;D

Rob

« Reply #9 on: 02 January, 2009, 09:05:14 am »
And a spoke nipple tool, here is mine, my LBS were giving these away to regulars about 15 years ago:

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq215/larfandsing/maillard.jpg

I think I've also still got one somewhere is my spare bits box.  I only ever had one of those hubs, and I think it got replaced with something a bit more conventional when it died, although I think it was just a case of the bearings gunging up and giving in, rather than a more catastrophic failure.

I had to buy mine from Williams in Cheltenham, I don't think they ever gave me anything for free, even though I spent enough money in there. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #10 on: 11 July, 2018, 10:29:22 pm »
Holy thread necromancy.

Anyone got a removal tool, or can explain how to remove the hub off the wheel?

Have got quite a bit of dirt in to the hub so want to be able to clean it out.