Author Topic: Good News I've fettled our tandem back to life - oh no the front cranks!  (Read 1722 times)

It all started last autumn when I noticed that the link chain was a bit slack.  Things went from bad to worse entirely down to my stupidity.  I stripped the thread of one of the retaining bolts and sheared the other (undoing it, should you ask).

Tandem went back in shed until the coming of nicer weather.  Nicer weather having come, I drilled out the broken bolt, borrowed some taps (thank you Rick) and tried to clean up the threads.  No good.  Nothing for it, but to drill out the hole and use a tap one size bigger M7.  Little did I know that M7 allen bolts are made of unobtanium.  I did manage to find some titanium ones in China!

The postman woke us up this morning with the bolts.  £6 worth of titanium loveliness.  They won't be seen, but I know they're there.  I tightened them up gingerly with a little Allen key, not putting too much force through them and they worked!  That was a relief.  We're back on the road and the chain's still slack, but that's a job for another day.

IMG_5408 by RWPD, on Flickr[/url]

I then got the front cranks, gave them a wipe and was surprised by what I saw.

IMG_5405 by RWPD, on Flickr

My cranks are like that fine lady from a Wiltshire town that shall be nameless.  One's 170 and the other's 175.  I've never noticed.  Perhaps my legs are the same!  I'll have to get them measured.  The cranks are the same length, it's just the holes are in a different place.

That's interesting! I wonder why? Is it all back on the road now, odd cranks and all?
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
Check the rear crank lengths? Although front and rear cranks generally aren't interchangeable (depending on how many carry chainring spiders) it's possible they got mixed up somewhere along the line -- if you have very different sized team, I hear it's popular to put longer cranks on front shorter on back.

(Chris Judden gave some very useful insight into this in this month's CTC mag)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
+ 1. it is somewhat common for tandem cranks to be 175mm captain and 170mm stoker cranks. It is possible the LH cranks have been swapped around.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

I know, I know!  I have revealed my stupidity to the whole of the interwebs!  We had the rear cranks shortened at the LBS.  Clearly he didn't read the writing on the two cranks I gave him!  I don't know for certain, but I must have given him one front and one rear!  Shortening the rear cranks was the answer to the stoker's saddle problems.  With cranks at the appropriate length she can sit on anything!

Back on the road and it feels good.