Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 637681 times)

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #425 on: 23 December, 2009, 08:33:06 pm »
Im rather tempted to go around next door, and draw a large, erect penis on their patio.
I could even make one out of snow, and if i can get the angle correct, have a line of sperm ejaculating for it.

Oh the laugh that could be. It would get them back for when they came around in the middle of the night and put lots of plastic flowers in our garden.

Don't question. It makes people angry.

« Reply #426 on: 23 December, 2009, 08:52:46 pm »
Finally snowing here in Chester.

Fairly light but 0.5 degrees and falling on frozen roads so if it keeps up tomorrow could be interesting!
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #427 on: 23 December, 2009, 10:17:31 pm »
Lots of snow in Liverpool  :)   it had all melted when I got home this evening but I've just looked outside and it's chucking it down.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #428 on: 23 December, 2009, 10:27:28 pm »
Almost tropical here in Saarfend. I've just been out for a short pootle to make sure the summer tyres are OK. Some of the side roads are still a bit dodgy, but it's thawing fast.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #429 on: 23 December, 2009, 10:31:01 pm »
None SNO here in that there london village.  The world may not be about to end after all, despite the Evening Standard's gloom.

There was still loads in Stanmore when we visited David Galle today.

It started pissing down wet sleet as we left so some SNO may melt.

Hope the wet doesn't freeze into sheet ice.

L Hedley

• "Bring it on"
« Reply #430 on: 23 December, 2009, 10:48:02 pm »
we still have lots of snow in Durham, temp only risen to 2 degress today and only for a while!  We are forecast lots more tonight! YIPEE!!!!
Not just a cyclist's wife!

« Reply #431 on: 23 December, 2009, 10:57:37 pm »
Almost tropical here in Saarfend. I've just been out for a short pootle to make sure the summer tyres are OK. Some of the side roads are still a bit dodgy, but it's thawing fast.

Excellent.

Puts shorts and fingerless gloves by the door ready for the commute.

ps, does that mean you don't want those studded tyres anymore?   O:-) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #432 on: 23 December, 2009, 10:59:41 pm »
Oh, I'm sure I'll want them when it snows again in ... oh, 2014 I reckon.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #433 on: 23 December, 2009, 11:08:11 pm »
I've just been out for a short pootle to make sure the summer tyres are OK

;D

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #434 on: 24 December, 2009, 12:08:22 am »
We've had another good couple of inches this evening - and it's still falling.  It's very pretty and the boys will be pleased when they wake up and see it in the morning and we may even get a white christmas... but it does feel a little like the gods are conspiring to stop lily-livered me and the shiny new Valencia (with its very slick tyres) from going out and making friends.  Daft thing is I was very very close to ringing up the LBS on Friday and saying 'I'll collect it this evening - any chance you've got some appropriate size winter tyres in and can fit them today?' but never got a round tuit.  I've never ridden in snow before.  What are the chances of it all going 'orribly wrong if I do?  Cos I'm getting a bit impatient....

simonp

« Reply #435 on: 24 December, 2009, 01:52:34 am »
I've been out to post some post.  The rain has turned the compacted snow in my street into an ice rink.  Winter tyres for cycling to catch the train to Scotland tomorrow, I think.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #436 on: 24 December, 2009, 08:28:36 am »
I'm going to England by train today. Perhaps we'll pass each other on adjacent lines without knowing. *sigh*
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #437 on: 24 December, 2009, 09:05:38 am »
There's loads of fresh snow here, and it's still falling.  I'm going to fit some knobbly tyres to my commuter and go for a play across the woods and fields :thumbsup:

« Reply #438 on: 24 December, 2009, 09:48:12 am »
Loads of snow here overnight. Going to ski.

« Reply #439 on: 24 December, 2009, 10:26:20 am »
I've been out to post some post.  The rain has turned the compacted snow in my street into an ice rink. 
Snap. We had enough rain yesterday to make it all slick, but not enough to wash it away. Now it's warm enough to make the ice wet, but not enough to melt it quickly. :(
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #440 on: 24 December, 2009, 10:46:24 am »
Hope you peeps on trains aren't going via Glasgow....

It's raining and cold here. It's starting to make a lovely ice rink of everything, grr.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #441 on: 24 December, 2009, 10:55:27 am »
We've had another good couple of inches this evening - and it's still falling.  It's very pretty and the boys will be pleased when they wake up and see it in the morning and we may even get a white christmas... but it does feel a little like the gods are conspiring to stop lily-livered me and the shiny new Valencia (with its very slick tyres) from going out and making friends.  Daft thing is I was very very close to ringing up the LBS on Friday and saying 'I'll collect it this evening - any chance you've got some appropriate size winter tyres in and can fit them today?' but never got a round tuit.  I've never ridden in snow before.  What are the chances of it all going 'orribly wrong if I do?  Cos I'm getting a bit impatient....

Snow is fine with narrow tyres. Arguably you are better off on roads with narrow tyres than with wide ones.

Ice isn't ok.

You'll be fine in York, just stay off all side roads and out of the gutter.

Budget for hosing off time when you get back, and oil the chain immediately - even new chains go rusty overnight in these conditions.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

simonp

« Reply #442 on: 24 December, 2009, 11:02:05 am »
I'm going to England by train today. Perhaps we'll pass each other on adjacent lines without knowing. *sigh*

I'm going to be passing through Edinburgh (this train's going to Glasgow) so that's not unlikely.

*waves*

simonp

« Reply #443 on: 24 December, 2009, 11:05:26 am »
Hope you peeps on trains aren't going via Glasgow....

It's raining and cold here. It's starting to make a lovely ice rink of everything, grr.

Hour's wait in Glasgow between trains for me.  I'll try to avoid the temptation to leave Central Station then.

« Reply #444 on: 24 December, 2009, 11:11:07 am »
It rained last night which melted most of the remaining snow.

The only thing left now is the ice on the cycle paths. ::-)

simonp

« Reply #445 on: 24 December, 2009, 11:55:39 am »
Apparently it's ver' snowy and icy at my parents' today.  Keeping the snow tyres on = wise move.  When I texted that I would cycle from the station, my sis responded with "Eep!"

simonp

« Reply #446 on: 24 December, 2009, 12:17:35 pm »
So my train was cancelled at Edinburgh and I'm on the scotrail service to queen street then a slither to central station. Going to get my connection on time but I've lost my comfy 1st class seat.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #447 on: 24 December, 2009, 01:02:15 pm »
Not snow, but ice.  Lots and lots of ice.
Mrs. B was supposed to go to work today but she couldn't.
I couldn't even walk through our gate and the lane itself is a perfect sheet of ice.
I doubt if this phone shot will show it though.

Hurrah!  We're completely cut off for Christmas.  Thank god I drove down yesterday.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

simonp

« Reply #448 on: 24 December, 2009, 02:09:22 pm »
I'm on the final leg. Clear blue skies over Ayrshire, which looks like a winter wonderland. Then 2 miles cycling with snow topped Arran as the backdrop. Will be beatiful.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #449 on: 24 December, 2009, 02:15:47 pm »
So my train was cancelled at Edinburgh and I'm on the scotrail service to queen street then a slither to central station. Going to get my connection on time but I've lost my comfy 1st class seat.
That's what I meant by not going by Glasgow, cos the trains are all confused there. I'm on t'other side of the country.
And they just said on Snooze 24 that the snow is heading north out of Embra so no doubt we'll get caught in it on the way south, grr,
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.