Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 633400 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #475 on: 01 January, 2010, 08:50:08 am »
I seem to be missing something here... looks like the same info to me, just that the homepage forecast uses a picture to represent what's going to happen at 1800?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #476 on: 01 January, 2010, 05:35:17 pm »
I've awoken to another dusting and very icy roads. The snow only seems to have settled on the roofs and there's only about a quarter of an inch of it. I was hoping to go out with the CTC this morning to their traditional New Year lunch at the Viper (first stop on the YACF Essex Christmas do). I don't need to leave until 9.45. I'll see how it turns out: the sun is shining, which makes a nice change from last year.

Here in mid-Essex we had a light dusting of snow overnight as well. I had to collect the car from the pub so set off on my bike - 6 miles through quiet lanes. In places the surface was fine but where the roads were wet sheet ice had formed. I came off twice and have pulled a muscle under my left arm. Really hurts. Studded tyres are now on order.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #477 on: 01 January, 2010, 08:18:29 pm »
After a beautiful morning for a walk, we've been getting it big time for some hours now. 
Imprisoned again.  >:(  It's a mile and a half to the nearest gritted road.  (Well, it was gritted last week sometime)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #478 on: 01 January, 2010, 09:15:52 pm »
  >:(  It's a mile and a half to the nearest gritted road.  (Well, it was gritted last week sometime)

Hammer House of Horror type village of the damned. We don't loik strangers round 'ere.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #479 on: 01 January, 2010, 09:17:54 pm »
After a beautiful morning for a walk, we've been getting it big time for some hours now. 
Imprisoned again.  >:(  It's a mile and a half to the nearest gritted road.  (Well, it was gritted last week sometime)
Ice skates for next christmas then?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #480 on: 01 January, 2010, 10:55:51 pm »

That's a bit poor for Bournville  ;)

I hope you will be able to return to the city when you have to go back to work.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #481 on: 01 January, 2010, 10:58:43 pm »
 ;D ::-)
In Bournville, it's about 20 metres to the nearest gritted road.  :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #482 on: 01 January, 2010, 11:11:01 pm »
It's even snowed in Devon!  A nice dusting from a pretty shower, all settling on a hard two-day freeze.  Hope we get more!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #483 on: 01 January, 2010, 11:13:40 pm »
More here this evening.  Snow on top of boiler plate ice now.

« Reply #484 on: 02 January, 2010, 12:17:54 am »
Enough of this Micky Mouse snow!
If it's going to snow and make cycling difficult or impossible, then it might as well do the job properly. I'm talking 6ft high snow drifts so that I can have a proper play in the snow. Not this rubbish where cycling is still difficult or impossible and I can't have a good play in the snow. >:(

« Reply #485 on: 02 January, 2010, 10:08:28 am »
More snow in Manchester overnight- only about 2cm and it looks like it could change to rain at any moment.
I doubt that we'll be out on the bikes tomorrow  :(

border-rider

« Reply #486 on: 02 January, 2010, 10:11:04 am »
Cold - very cold - and sunny again here.  No question of road-riding.  I might go for a run or - if the ground is still frozed- go on the MTB later.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #487 on: 02 January, 2010, 10:23:11 am »

It's snowing here again, and the temperature have climbed to -3oC.
forecast for the next week: cold and snow
Who said the climate was getting warmer   :-\

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #488 on: 02 January, 2010, 10:23:32 am »
Frosty cold in London. Might go for a run in richmond park IICFMA.

« Reply #489 on: 02 January, 2010, 10:37:31 am »
No snow (we missed the last lot by 2 miles!!) but -3 here.  I'm supposed to be playing rugby against Caerleon later but there's a good chance it will be cancelled I guess.  Tackling and rucking on frozen ground isn't much fun!

border-rider

« Reply #490 on: 02 January, 2010, 02:58:23 pm »
Cold - very cold - and sunny again here.  No question of road-riding.  I might go for a run or - if the ground is still frozed- go on the MTB later.

Geeez

I went running for about an hour - and it's plenty warm in the sun but the roads are just treacherous. I really struggled to stay upright when walking in 4 or 5 places on the lanes.  It seems to be a combination of run-off from he fields after the heavy rain of November and very, very low temperatures.

A couple of people in cars passed me with what i felt was not very much caution, considering the conditions.  I'd not take the car out today.

« Reply #491 on: 02 January, 2010, 03:01:45 pm »
It's been snowing solidly - and laying - for about an hour here in Darlington.  I'm hunkering down for the night.

« Reply #492 on: 02 January, 2010, 03:06:43 pm »
Near Richmond, SW London last night: cold, clear skies, bright full moon. 01:00 approx: a 2 to 3 minute hard and heavy hail shower from out of nowhere  ???

« Reply #493 on: 02 January, 2010, 03:21:31 pm »
Snowing again here in Nottingham.
The ride home from work wasnt too bad though, roads were all pretty clear, just a few side roads that had slush on.
All the roads in town, and the pavements were all clear aswell so getting out from town was fine, just abit wet.

Don't question. It makes people angry.

« Reply #494 on: 02 January, 2010, 04:11:23 pm »
It's even snowed in Devon! ...

Tell me about it.  Two weeks in the South-West with bugger all snow, and the evening before I left, it snows all over the car. :-\

Ah well, once I got ten or twenty miles up the motorway most evidence of it disappeared, and whilst London is cold, there's little snow or ice here.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #495 on: 02 January, 2010, 06:08:56 pm »
As the sun was setting, the sky had that low cloud with the tell-tale pink tinge to it.  :(

Here it comes again.  >:(
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #496 on: 02 January, 2010, 07:08:21 pm »
Been snowing here for the last hour or so.

Zoidburg

« Reply #497 on: 02 January, 2010, 07:14:20 pm »
Dropped about two or three inches here, looks like more tonight.

A quick pootle out revealed that Stoke On Trent city council had been caught with their trousers down and have completely failed to get any grit down on the main roads which will be completely frozen by morning, city wide.

Crossing the boundary into "The Borough" the roads mysteriously become well gritted and passable.

gordon taylor

« Reply #498 on: 02 January, 2010, 07:26:58 pm »
We live just a few miles south of Stoke and still haven't had ANY SNOW AT ALL since one bloody cm ten days before Christmas.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

I want snow. Why does everybody else have snow?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #499 on: 02 January, 2010, 07:32:04 pm »
Snow on top of ice again.  >:(
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.