Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 637739 times)

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #525 on: 03 January, 2010, 06:24:42 pm »
FriKKin' cold here at around 14:00 (last time we ventured out to $chmevanz in the Wharf).

Should be interesting at 06:15 tomorrow, when I'm due to accompany someone on her first fixed commute  :o eek!

Zoidburg

« Reply #526 on: 03 January, 2010, 06:28:54 pm »
I was out on the fixed today, twas a bit wibbly on the odd side road.

The inner monologue was constant "steady...steady...don't touch the brake...steady...gonna make it"

border-rider

« Reply #527 on: 03 January, 2010, 06:30:48 pm »
I was out on the fixed today, twas a bit wibbly on the odd side road.

The inner monolouge was constant "steady...steady...don't touch the brake...steady"

I was out on my fixed MTB today, on serious ice.  Scary stuff.  It's ace being able to pedal with one leg while using the other to stay upright :)

Zoidburg

« Reply #528 on: 03 January, 2010, 06:35:55 pm »
After about 50 yards of slewing back and forth on solid lumpy ice and considering the possible certain death of a dip in the frozen canal I decided that the tow path route was not a wise move on bog standard 23mm ultrasports.

I did catch myself doing the one leg thing.

« Reply #529 on: 03 January, 2010, 07:59:13 pm »
There's an absolutely evil frost out there already. I'm dreading the morning.
Just noticed that the stars look extra twinkly, due to the conditions.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #530 on: 03 January, 2010, 08:01:34 pm »
Just seen the forecast and it looks like we're going to get a week of looooooow temperatures and possibly more snow.

Zoidburg

« Reply #531 on: 03 January, 2010, 08:10:54 pm »
Just seen the forecast and it looks like we're going to get a week of looooooow temperatures and possibly more snow.
Now is the time to make that huge ice lolly using a broom handle and a 5 litre bucket of Vimto.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #532 on: 03 January, 2010, 08:15:46 pm »
Now is the time to make that huge ice lolly using a broom handle and a 5 litre bucket of Vimto.

You wouldn't want him to choke on his own Vimto.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #533 on: 03 January, 2010, 09:26:40 pm »
Went out with a group from the Retrobike forum, to ride the singletrack in Thetford Forest. Icy on the roads - some of the guys coming up the A14 saw 5 accidents in a mile!   ::-)

Thetford forest seems to be the only place in the area that had snow :o

22 riders on 90's and 00's MTBs in our group.  :smug:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #534 on: 03 January, 2010, 09:54:56 pm »
On my commuter bike, I'm leaving my studded Marathon Winter Tyres on for the next few months I think.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #535 on: 03 January, 2010, 11:44:13 pm »
Having driven up north through -15 on Monday we drove back yesterday. We left Edinburgh before the 6 inches of snow was dumed on it - in some ways a shame  ;D

lovely deep drifts of snow, hillsides completely covered with the white stuff - none of that wimpy southern stuff where there is still dark coloured stuff showing.

The best bit? Coming through Carlops. Icicles for Africa! Every pitched roof house on the north side of the road had icicles. The biggest ones we saw were over 5 foot long. Brilliant!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #536 on: 04 January, 2010, 01:43:39 am »
Just driven home from the New Year break.  Light snow on M25 anti-clockwise at Clackett's, settling slightly on hard shoulder and outside lane thanks to lack of traffic.  Roads well gritted but I bet people will be saying that they weren't because the snow was landing  ::-)

I've just got two old bicycle tyres out of the garage and put a screw through one from the inside to check it was the right length...   Will purchase more screws tomorrow and have a go at making these homebrew ice tyres.

simonp

« Reply #537 on: 04 January, 2010, 02:43:01 am »
Have you primed your local A&E?

« Reply #538 on: 04 January, 2010, 08:17:02 am »
We seem to have had a very light dusting of snow overnight (in Croydon), which is still on the residential roads (mine anyway).  I doubt it'll have survived on the busier roads, and hopefully will have bugger all effect on the cycleability of the surface.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #539 on: 04 January, 2010, 08:39:19 am »
A dusting here. Will take dog for longish walk.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #540 on: 04 January, 2010, 09:07:07 am »
no snow, but it's only -5.6c in southampton

« Reply #541 on: 04 January, 2010, 09:28:41 am »
Heathrow and Biggin Hill are reporting -4, whereas Gatwick is reporting a balmy -3.  It's a bit nippy out there, Talisker is avoiding going out, but to be fair, furry paws probably aren't that good at keeping the cold at bay.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #542 on: 04 January, 2010, 10:13:37 am »
No snow in Liverpool, but it was -5 last night.   A glorious sunny day and I'm stuck in the orifice on a conference call :-(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #543 on: 04 January, 2010, 10:45:15 am »
-3.4 overnight minimum just outside my house (& close enough to be affected by radiated heat) , but -5.9 up at Reading university ( dry bulb - Meteorology Department Weather Data Visualisation Page )
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #544 on: 04 January, 2010, 01:27:27 pm »
Quote from: fboab's mum
No1Daughter should be on the train if we can get out of the valley. There's 8" and drifts.
It's grim deep up north.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #545 on: 04 January, 2010, 01:57:36 pm »
At 6:30 a.m. today the read-out in the car was showing -14  :o
That is the lowest temperature I've ever experienced other than in the USA

I had to get this out.

And then up the hill. (A lot steeper than it looks)  A lot more tractors had been along since this photo and crushed the lovely snow into an ice rink.
It took me three tries to get up then hill, reversing back further each time and taking a faster run up each time.

It was a balmy -9 by the time we got down to Carmarthen
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #546 on: 04 January, 2010, 03:07:58 pm »
Nice photos.......if you haven't got to go out

« Reply #547 on: 04 January, 2010, 03:53:44 pm »
Red Rum! Red Rum! Red Rum! Red Rum! Red Rum! Red Rum! Red Rum! Red Rum!
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Zoidburg

« Reply #548 on: 04 January, 2010, 04:40:51 pm »
You are the Care Taker Basil!

« Reply #549 on: 04 January, 2010, 04:43:55 pm »
50cms of snow in my neighbours garden - and more forecast for tonight  ;D
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'