Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 638473 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #775 on: 06 January, 2010, 08:13:36 am »
Meh.

A couple of scant centimeters in W13 and all the roads are clear.  The council even gritted the local ones last night.

So rather than get the MTB covered in nasty, I've left that in the SEEKRIT BUNKER with the rest of the zombie kit and ridden in as per usual on the fixietank.  Better lights on that, y'see.

The thing that's surprising me is just how quiet the roads are.  Maybe the kids haven't all gone back to school yet, but riding in at 0730, there was so little traffic - even as compared to Monday.

I reckon everyone's decided to work from home regardless.  The office is certainly much emptier than usual.

*wanders off in search of tea*
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #776 on: 06 January, 2010, 08:16:31 am »
another inch or two last night

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #777 on: 06 January, 2010, 08:18:12 am »
We have had an overnight fall or about 20mm

« Reply #778 on: 06 January, 2010, 08:19:39 am »
6-8" here and light snow falling. Will 'work from home' today.  Local schools closed so Mrs R at home as well.

There is nothing moving in our road and based on past snowy episodes the council will grit our road in about a weeks time!

« Reply #779 on: 06 January, 2010, 08:20:39 am »
6" in Abingdon, both the minis schools are closed, and we're not able to get into work.  Snowmen and possibly sledge here we come.

Isn't it beautiful?
The road is clearish, but the kids are off.  We could take the car to work, but we're gonna don boots, grab a camera and walk to work.  Have a great day!

« Reply #780 on: 06 January, 2010, 08:21:32 am »
At most an inch in Croydon.  Out the front the road and footway has a good layer, but looking at the back garden, it's barely settled, so there's not much.  The temperature is around zero according to the London airport reports, and I suspect, on limited experience, that the snow will get less the nearer to the centre I go, so I'm inclined to cycle into work.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #781 on: 06 January, 2010, 08:21:43 am »
About 7 inches here, but it is stll snowing. All the schools are closed, I'll be staying home (but may try to nip into the office on my MTB later).

« Reply #782 on: 06 January, 2010, 08:30:33 am »

« Reply #783 on: 06 January, 2010, 08:36:48 am »
about 2mm here near cambridge but more forecast for today. Boo - we need several feet to get me out of tomorrows horrid meeting.

« Reply #784 on: 06 January, 2010, 08:40:39 am »
No snow overnight in Liverpool , but the roads and pavements are treacherous and all buses have been cancelled.

My usual 35 minute walk into the office took a bit longer than normal. At some times I was wishing I'd dug my trekking poles out.

Lots of people phoning in and saying they can't make it to work.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #785 on: 06 January, 2010, 08:41:38 am »
Driving back from Heathrow via Tooting last night, all the main roads after the A4 were clear - the South Circular ws completely clear, as was the road through Mitcham. The snow was only really laying on the road once I started up the hill in Carshalton. There has been very little extra snow here since I got back, so I should expect it to be perfectly rideable once I get down the hill. But my boss said stay at home this morning, so I did :smug:. I might go in later :), I want to have a ride.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #786 on: 06 January, 2010, 08:44:55 am »
The roads are in a right old mess here at least early on they were. Over night show has not melted and just been churned up by the light traffic. Saw two cyclists as I walked to the station, another in Leeds near my office. He was force to ride in the middle of the road on the least messed up part. Not for me.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #787 on: 06 January, 2010, 08:48:28 am »
No snow here. Temperature 0°C in garden, and I can hear a constant "drip drip drip" from various places.

The forecast is for us to get some today and since I'm supposed to be driving out at lunchtime, I might postpone that appointment.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #788 on: 06 January, 2010, 08:49:25 am »
Strictly Meh! in E17 this morning; about 2 cm in Harlot with more coming down all the time.  Most thing at work can be done from home, but someone has to do physical Stuffs with tapes of a morning.  This cannot be done until the day-end processing has completed.  Which it hasn't, because some cockwomble doesn't know the difference between an ISBN and a sack of porcupine poo.  I may be investigating the Travelodge over the road if this carries on.  Pants.  Big pants.  Big arsey pants >:(

P.S. MSeries, this is all your fault.  Every time we're supposed to meet up for a wintertime BEER there is SNO.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #789 on: 06 January, 2010, 08:50:29 am »
No snow here. Temperature 0°C in garden, and I can hear a constant "drip drip drip" from various places.
A mile away we've had ~2cm sometime in the night.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #790 on: 06 January, 2010, 08:55:25 am »
At most an inch in Croydon.  Out the front the road and footway has a good layer, but looking at the back garden, it's barely settled, so there's not much.  The temperature is around zero according to the London airport reports, and I suspect, on limited experience, that the snow will get less the nearer to the centre I go, so I'm inclined to cycle into work.

Shoulda made that decision.  Instead, I togged up so I could go stand on a station platform for an hour while occasional automated announcement told me lies about when the trains would come. ::-)

Changed, drinking coffee, getting ready to ride in.  Might take more than my usual hour... :-\
Getting there...

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #791 on: 06 January, 2010, 08:56:53 am »
No more snow up in Lancashire but travel is not good. Just got home after an abortive attempt to travel to Mid Wales by train. Got as far as Preston where cancellations and late trains were the order of the day. Looks like another day of working from home - bored now.

bikenerd

« Reply #792 on: 06 January, 2010, 08:59:01 am »
Loads of snow overnight just south of Oxford and it's snowing again this morning.

Probably more than 6 inches.  Possibly the most I've ever seen!  Until last night we hadn't had any in the current cold snap, either.

« Reply #793 on: 06 January, 2010, 09:00:27 am »
Just seen an email from a colleague who claims he had to spend the night in Bolton telephone exchange!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Chris S

« Reply #794 on: 06 January, 2010, 09:01:28 am »
-10c this morning. Trees are all frosty, and now it's snowing again. Looks nice, as long as you don't have to get somewhere.

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #795 on: 06 January, 2010, 09:02:00 am »
Plenty of snow here in Herts.  I drove in to the station and encountered rather slippery roads.  The train service is reduced to "emergency"  ::-) and it has started to slow quite heavily again.  So I decided to return home rather than face the horror of becoming stranded at work in London.  Where were the gritters?!  ;D
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

« Reply #796 on: 06 January, 2010, 09:05:46 am »
6" in Abingdon, both the minis schools are closed, and we're not able to get into work.  Snowmen and possibly sledge here we come.

Isn't it beautiful?
The road is clearish, but the kids are off.  We could take the car to work, but we're gonna don boots, grab a camera and walk to work.  Have a great day!

The minis are now arguing about not 'messing' up the snow on the front lawn.  ::-) ;D
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #797 on: 06 January, 2010, 09:06:35 am »
Someone in the car park has just understeered into the hedge.  Deep joy.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #798 on: 06 January, 2010, 09:06:53 am »
Light snow falling in Southend, with the possible exception of the, mysterious, area around wowbagger's gaff. Large bodies generating their own electro magnetic field probably and causing localised weather phenomena.  ;)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #799 on: 06 January, 2010, 09:13:53 am »
It's just started snowing here. As Del says, it's light snow. He's half a mile or so to the NW of me, so of course it arrives with him first.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.